Hyperfocal Distance & A-DEP

isheying

Sep 10, 2009
Singapore
Hi all,

I cannot figure out how to shot landscape that you have foreground and background in focus.

Let's say a man is standing one meter away from me and I would like to capture the man, and everything behind the man to be clear, which object should I focus? :dunno:

Google around, some people saying hyperfocal distance but mine is 18-55 kit lens, I cannot see these info on my kit lens. And Canon 500D comes with A-DEP, how do I use A-DEP for the landscapes then? Hope to get yours expert advise....

Hi all,

I cannot figure out how to shot landscape that you have foreground and background in focus.

Let's say a man is standing one meter away from me and I would like to capture the man, and everything behind the man to be clear, which object should I focus? :dunno:

First u need to know how hyperfocal distance works.. we wont go to the extent of listing out all the details for u.. u shd go google urself and find out (rashkae did it for u ard).

Typically the rule of thumb is, stop down accordingly and determine the focal point by use of the hyperfocal distance chart/or dof calculator (e.g. at 24mm, f16, hyperfocal distance at 1.8m). Focus at him (1 m away), u know that anything from 1/2m away from ur focal plane to inifinty will be in acceptable sharpness..

Additional notes:-

1. Everything from at least one-half the focus distance to infinity will be in the depth of field when the lens is focused beyond the hyperfocal distance. The actual near limit of acceptable sharpness will be less than 1/2 the focus distance.

2. It's better to focus beyond the hyperfocal distance than to focus in front of it when estimating the focus point. The far objects won't be sharp if you focus in front of the hyperfocal distance.

3. Stop down one stop from the f-stop you used to calculate the hyperfocal distance. For example, focus at the hyperfocal distance for f/11 and set the lens f-stop to f/16. Stopping down brings the near distance of acceptable sharpness closer to the camera position. Stopping down will generally give enough extra depth of field to account for any focusing or estimating errors.

Hi all,

Google around, some people saying hyperfocal distance but mine is 18-55 kit lens, I cannot see these info on my kit lens. And Canon 500D comes with A-DEP, how do I use A-DEP for the landscapes then? Hope to get yours expert advise....

hahaha... i have a 500d also.. and when i read the 500d book, it mantioned about a-dep... so i thought.. wow... now this camera will calculate hyperfocal dist for me ah... so shiok!

then next morning i try... kns.. aperture is about f/5.6 only...

in short, u must use hyperfocal dist, a-dep does not replace it!

Thanks all for the kind reply, had been trying to figure out about this and read thru many articles and forums to understand Hyperfocal ... ARGH... all these read to me like very technical, maybe i have a slow digest brain.... >.<

Yes, the A-DEP doesn't work at all, it has F5.6... ARGH...

Nowadays I'm lazy to calculate, I just use dof calculator, free app in my iPhone.:embrass: