how to use Focal Plane Position?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wolvie77

Nov 15, 2009
Hi! all. i read in my NIkon D5000 on a feature call focal plane position. its used to determine the distance between subject & my camera. it also says the distance between the lens mounting flange & the focal plane is 46.5mm (1.83in) but from these info provided, i still don't understand how i can determine the distance while i'm framing the picture with the view finder. is there something i've overlooked? sorry for the question if it sounds stupid but i'm very new to dslr. hope everyone can understand.

This mark (and the distance from flange to focal plane) is meant for those purposes where the focal plane position must be known, e.g. when mounting other lens systems. As long as you use Nikon lenses or third party lenses for Nikon (F mount or with adapter) this mark has no meaning for taking pictures.

in simple terms, its the distance between the lens mount and the sensor.. in other words, you can adapt lenses designed for systems with more than 46.5mm focal flange distance, this bit of info is prob more useful for those who want to DIY out an adaptor for their 3rd-party lenses..

Hi! all. i read in my NIkon D5000 on a feature call focal plane position. its used to determine the distance between subject & my camera. it also says the distance between the lens mounting flange & the focal plane is 46.5mm (1.83in) but from these info provided, i still don't understand how i can determine the distance while i'm framing the picture with the view finder. is there something i've overlooked? sorry for the question if it sounds stupid but i'm very new to dslr. hope everyone can understand.

wow... you've certainly gone into very precise details, but I would advise you not to concern yourself with the focal plane position, at least not for the near future.
As the rest have mentioned, this value is only of concern to someone who's using lenses not made specifically for the Nikon mount. This value has NOTHING to do with your composition of a photo when using your D5000 with a Nikon (Nikkor) lens.

Basically it's used for very exacting technical, medical and possibly scientific purposes like say when an operator needs to know very exact distances to calculate exact reproduction magnifications/ratios and so on.

You're probably looking at a lab type of set-up where more than 80% of the set-up work is done outside the viewfinder. I wouldn't be too concerned with it unless you're called to do such work.

If you're doing normal type of pictorial photography, forget about it unless you're a techie.

Status
Not open for further replies.