how to use a CPL Filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i think slim types are to avoid vignetting. as others said, the effect is greatest when the sun is 90 degress from where you are pointing your lens at. ups saturation, reduces reflections.

i think slim types are to avoid vignetting. as others said, the effect is greatest when the sun is 90 degress from where you are pointing your lens at. ups saturation, reduces reflections.

But what I'd like to know is the opposite - what are the disadvantages of using a slim filter for a telephoto? Other than what I've already pointed out, it seems that slim filters may be harder to put on and remove because there's less area to grip. Oh well, I'll find out soon, because I just placed an order for one.

i understand that a CPL Filter has a head that is able to rotate. may i ask what effect does the rotation create?

i also know that a CPL filter does do away with unwanted reflections when shooting @ reflective surfaces and it does gives some shots greater saturation. how do i acheive that?

and the most important question of all, HOW TO USE?

I'm newbies too. This is one of my favorite resources. I have just bought a B+W CPL, have not really tested it yet. Try this link to learn about CPL filter.

http://www.dslrtips.com/workshops/How_to_use_polarizing_filters/reduce_haze_deep_blue_sky.shtml

But what I'd like to know is the opposite - what are the disadvantages of using a slim filter for a telephoto? Other than what I've already pointed out, it seems that slim filters may be harder to put on and remove because there's less area to grip. Oh well, I'll find out soon, because I just placed an order for one.

I have a b+w cpl slim filter. It can be quite hard to take off if screwed on too tight. Also cannot put on lens cap.

I have a b+w cpl slim filter. It can be quite hard to take off if screwed on too tight. Also cannot put on lens cap.

Thanks for the info. Do you find it harder to turn compared to a regular CP, or is that a non-issue?

Thanks for the info. Do you find it harder to turn compared to a regular CP, or is that a non-issue?
have not tried a regular CPL. but turning wise is ok. there is a small friction at a turning point, i think it means that a certain alignment has been reached between the back and front pieces on the CPL.

have not tried a regular CPL. but turning wise is ok. there is a small friction at a turning point, i think it means that a certain alignment has been reached between the back and front pieces on the CPL.

Thanks, that's good to know.

To anyone with a B+W slim CP : is your mount aluminum or brass? I just got mine today from Adorama (77mm slim MRC Kaeseman CP, 25844) and the mount looks like aluminium. After that I hit google and I found a few posts that says the B+W slim CPs are aluminum not brass.

So, to anyone considering between slim and regular, that's another thing to bear in mind.

FWIW Adorama is listed as an "authorized dealer" for Schneider Optics still photography filter in the U.S. Surprisingly, B&H is not.

Last edited:
Too late, I would have recommended the Kenko if you were looking for a slim CPL. It's rotating ring is actually almost as large as that found on a regular CPL.

Too late, I would have recommended the Kenko if you were looking for a slim CPL. It's rotating ring is actually almost as large as that found on a regular CPL.

Oh well, live and learn. Thanks for the info - which Kenko though? The Pro1D? Fortunately it's still a very good CP.

Started searching around - seems like Kenko is hard to find in stores I normally buy from. Someone said it's the same as Hoya though.

Oh well, live and learn. Thanks for the info - which Kenko though? The Pro1D? Fortunately it's still a very good CP.

Started searching around - seems like Kenko is hard to find in stores I normally buy from. Someone said it's the same as Hoya though.

Yeap the Pro1D. AFAIK, John 3:16 is the only shop said to carry it.

It's quite different from the Hoya, and this is what I've heard from users of the filter who've come back to John 3:16 and gave user feedback on the CPL: they say you lose one stop less light with that, compared to the Hoya normal CPL, which means you lose about 1 1/2 stops, as opposed to 2 1/2 stops with the Hoya.

Status
Not open for further replies.