How to turn off SB600 pre flashes with D300s

samuelclub72

Apr 27, 2009
Seng Kang
Hi,
I just got a SB600 replacement for the set that spoil but this set bought from a fellow CS member comes with the preflashes on, I had been trying to turn off the preflash but wothout any success. I really hope someone here can help me tith this problem. Thanks.

If you have red eye reduction turned on, it's pretty much as telling the flash to fire off preflashes before a final flash.

Hi,
I just got a SB600 replacement for the set that spoil but this set bought from a fellow CS member comes with the preflashes on, I had been trying to turn off the preflash but wothout any success. I really hope someone here can help me tith this problem. Thanks.

Please see your SB-600 manual, page 66.

If you have red eye reduction turned on, it's pretty much as telling the flash to fire off preflashes before a final flash.

Red eye reduction "preflashes" and preflashes for exposure determination are different things.

Thanks for the replies. Problem solve it's actually the red eye reduction setting on my D300s that trigger the pre flash

Hi,

Thanks for the replies. Problem solve it's actually the red eye reduction setting on my D300s that trigger the pre flash
I was wondering is there any function on SB600 able to disable pre flash?

the pre flash for red eye prevention is set on the camera body,
the pre flash for CLS is not possible to disable, that's how the camera and remote flash communicate, you can only disable commanding flash to flash for making an exposure, aka set to _._

Hi ziploc,
I did refer to pg 66 of the instruction manual it does not indicate how to turn off. it's more of setting a remote flash

I thought for SB600, there are 3 points listed? :dunno:

1) Set the flash mode to standard TTL
2) Tilt the flash head up
3) Use a non-CPU lens

Hi ziploc,
I did refer to pg 66 of the instruction manual it does not indicate how to turn off. it's more of setting a remote flash

Well actually the answer is still in page 66. If you refer to the table, to turn off monitor preflash for SB-600, you either set the flash mode to standard TTL, tilt the flash head up, or use a non-cpu lens. This applies whether or not you're using a remote flash.

Red eye reduction flashes are different from monitor preflashes. Monitor preflashes usually can't be seen by the naked eyes and fires just mircoseconds before the actual flash, whereas red eye reduction flashes need to be seen so that the pupila will contract and they are fired in much longer interval and repetitions. Of course if you want to use your main flash to trigger remote flash that are not CLS compatible, then both of these pre-flashes are undesirable as they will cause mis-firing.

Why do you need to turn off your preflashes btw?

Last edited:
Ok I think I understand what you want to do now - you basically just want to turn off red eye reduction flashes. I was thinking in the other direction and thought that you want to turn off monitor pre-flashes. :)

I was referring to the 3 flashes created when u semi press the shutter before firing the flash completely, I called Nikon(s) tech support and they taught me to switch off the red eye reduction setting on the camera to stop this "preflashes". I need to cut off the preflash is because it prevent from multiple shots as the flash need to be recharge after every shots

I was referring to the 3 flashes created when u semi press the shutter before firing the flash completely, I called Nikon(s) tech support and they taught me to switch off the red eye reduction setting on the camera to stop this "preflashes". I need to cut off the preflash is because it prevent from multiple shots as the flash need to be recharge after every shots

The 'red eye reduction' setting for the flash is set on the camera body, not the flash.
Look at the top LCD of your D300s. At the bottom-left, is the 'red eye' symbol present?