Connecting Nikon D850 to laptop (w MESH) wirelessly

Hi,

I need help to set up my D850 to connect wirelessly to my laptop which is a distance away.
I have MESH network set up on my laptop but the camera could only diectly connect to laptop but not the MESH.

I understand this will be a paid service even tho it may be just a simple task for IT-savvy folks.
But I hope there is someone who does not mind helping me solve my problem.
Pls email me yewsong@singnet.com.sg if you able to help. Thanks!

I am not an IT expert but I assume you mean you are tethered by wire to laptop? You may need to download relevant software from Nikon website ( locally, sg based? ) But becareful of camera firmware updates as it may brick your camera if you do not follow instructions properly so read up on the procedures eg. ensure battery is fully charged, etc. But it may not be needed.

The following videos can help as it does not refer to d850 directly but it is similar I think.

Hi, thank you so much for your sharing n tip. I have been asked to avoid using cable because of potential risk of people tripping. I have always wanted to do wireless-ly someday via wifi while shooting from a distance and so would really like to learn how to do it connecting the camera to my laptop which, at the mooment, is able to connect to a MESH network router. But my aim is to be able to connect my camera to the laptop over a distance through the MESH router. Is this possible?

I don't see why it is not possible. Remember what is a mesh network. It is primarily an extension network added to your main network which is your fibre. In this case for gaming and better coverage than your main one because of blind spots as the shape of your residence in terms of walls and distance. Also the number of floors of the dwelling.
The mesh network already provides the connection via the software or app . So this app should have the settings to configure the link to your main fibre network I think.

From the linked videos it is evident that Nikon provided the software to connect camera to pc. Follow the steps in the camera settings and you should be able to link via WiFi. That is provided that you have this software in the camera. If not follow the steps to update the camera software and also the app for the pc. I would assume the pc is already linked to the mesh network, that is wherever you move or in a different part of the house you are always linked to the main fibre router.

I don't understand why you need to connect to mesh as it is already linked to your main router. The app provided by mesh should be able to do this if you think that you have poor connectivity via the current setup. Anyway it is just a matter of the camera network settings to select other network other than pc as shown in the video. You should also have the mesh zyoftware in your pc to detect your camera I think. If you follow the steps in the video you should be able to link via WiFi to pc @

IMG_20230419_042921.jpg

Hi, thank you so much for your sharing n tip. I have been asked to avoid using cable because of potential risk of people tripping. I have always wanted to do wireless-ly someday via wifi while shooting from a distance and so would really like to learn how to do it connecting the camera to my laptop which, at the mooment, is able to connect to a MESH network router. But my aim is to be able to connect my camera to the laptop over a distance through the MESH router. Is this possible?

Last edited: