How to take good home pics?

Hi TS,

Are you a iPhone user? If you are, I recommend you to download this free App Photosynth, easy to use and in my opinion able to take a panaroma of the entire interior all round. Try it.

Hi all,

I am a real estate agent. I have problems taking nice pics of clients' homes. I am not a photography expert but do have a canon dslr... Any tips and tricks to share?

Thanks in advance!

1. Use an ultra wide angle lens
2. Find the best angle and remove extraneous clutter from the scene
3. Watch your verticals and horizontals, minimise distortion
4. Use a tripod
5. Always look to improve on your last shot. Work the subject to get the best shot.

I'd go for 16-20mm (maybe) on APS-C. Going ultra wide (esp. at 10mm) can be a pain to correct. The lines should be real perfect and the furnitures not oddly stretched--or maybe that's just my lens (a Sigma 10-20mm) or my pp skills, but still, bottom line is: you gotta watch out for distortion. The wider, the crazier.

I'd love to see your work. I'm nuts about interiors.

Last edited:
I am a real estate agent as well.. Just my experience to share,

I used to work with a D700 with a 24-70 unit , but it proved to be pretty bulky and heavy to carry along side with my other listing tools.

recently.. I got a Sony nex-c3 with a 16mm as its lighter and easier to bring around.
What make sense with the camera is that it also has a auto panaromic sweep function that can be quite useful some times as well.

Like the below attached it helps me to capture the unit from scenery from its balcony..

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150310333051360.339118.580241359&l=cd8a478083&type=1

Use a UWA lens. The perspective distortion makes the place look larger.

Using UWA does make the room/place look bigger, but one still have to manage the potential buyer's expectation when they really visit it.