How to SHOW lighting set-ups for discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dream Merchant

Staff member
Jan 11, 2007
Imagine trying to ask a question like ...

hey guys, I wanna do a soft-lit, portrait but all I have is two Vivitar 285s and optical slaves. No umbrellas or softboxes. If I place one 285 say on the left and one 285 just behind the subject, but instead of firing the flash into the subject's back for hairlight, can I fire the unit into the wall on the subject's left and hope that the bounced flash will provide both a hair light as well as a global fill?

It would be soooo much easier and clearer if you used a diagram like this:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/18899367@N00/1496142120/

It makes visualising what you have in mind SOOOO much easier.

Sometimes, it might actually help you get a clearer idea of what you want to try to achieve.

You can get the free softwares here:

http://www.diyphotography.net/lighting-diagrams

I think it would be very much easier for anyone, not just newbies to use these programs to illustrate what they have in mind, or to share and discuss. :cool:

Also much less confusion and headaches trying to intepret some of the lighting set-up descriptions. :bsmilie:

Last edited:
LOL... orthographic projection... only plan view, don't have side & front? 1st/3rd angle projection

Actually I came across a 3D scalable program for lighting set-ups, including varying the intensity of the lights and what effect it would give, but it was only in development stages then IIRC. Search around lah, rip then come back and share with us! :devil:

Looks good, thanks for sharing DM!

actually, nowadays 3D rendering programs have the lighting system built in, probably if everyone uses a common open platform like say blender, i dun mind developing the low polygon lights model, can do 3 view direct.

actually, nowadays 3D rendering programs have the lighting system built in, probably if everyone uses a common open platform like say blender, i dun mind developing the low polygon lights model, can do 3 view direct.

Develop lah, then we test for you. :devil: :bsmilie:

what kind of effect am i looking with this lighting setup?

3584304770_c0634cdffc_o.jpg

Lousy lens.

Pass to me I get rid of it for you. :devil:

total seventeen lights.

if one light output is f8

the output of two lights is f11

the output of four lights is f16

the output of eight lights is f22

the output of sixteen lights is f32

so you still can shoot, but you need to custom make a lens shade very very very deep. else you will get a very very very bad lens flare.

and think you only can take one or two shots, your model will go nuts if you shoot like nobody business.

the effect will be like what we usually see how alien show up in a movie, everything seem to be overexposed.

hope this help.

Flip's camera is stuck at ISO 6400! :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Like that the model will be blind....
Good for catching bullet...haha

You can catch the bullet but you be blind after tht :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.