How to remove sticky residual from Gaffer Tape?

ok, can anyone share what is the active ingredient/solvent in these adhesives that are not safe for plastic? I've been using 3M vinyls with hoods/lenses for sometime, and i remove them when selling lenses/cameras, but have yet to see any chemical/other reactions between the plastic and the vinyl decals.

Last edited:
zippo fluid or alcohol swap
both works

ok, can anyone share what is the active ingredient/solvent in these adhesives that are not safe for plastic? I've been using 3M vinyls with hoods/lenses for sometime, and i remove them when selling lenses/cameras, but have yet to see any chemical/other reactions between the plastic and the vinyl decals.

If you know the specific type, you can check the 3M website for the relevant product datasheet.
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_EU/3MGraphics/GraphicSolutions/Products/ProductDatasheets/

I managed to take a photo of it to illustrate how serious is the sticky residual created by gaffer tape on a lens hood. Apparently, the sticky surface of the gaffer tape has come off and stick onto the lens hood as you can see from the below photo.

I believe that the sticky base of the gaffer tape has melted over time due to temperature change. As such, when you peeled off the gaffer tape, it will stick onto the object.

Zippo is totally ineffective as I had already tried.

Sticky_Residual.jpg

I managed to take a photo of it to illustrate how serious is the sticky residual created by gaffer tape on a lens hood. Apparently, the sticky surface of the gaffer tape has come off and stick onto the lens hood as you can see from the below photo.

I believe that the sticky base of the gaffer tape has melted over time due to temperature change. As such, when you peeled off the gaffer tape, it will stick onto the object.

That looks bad, which brand of gaffer tape were u using? and how long did you leave it on?

Not all kinds of plastics react to all kinds of adhesives. PVC being the most reactive.

Goo Gone should work. If you are concerned with reaction you can use the weaker Goo Gone. I think the Spray Gel is not as strong as the liquid one. You should wipe clean with water to remove any residue. Many people say Goo Gone will melt some plastic although their site claim it is safe. Of course use as little as you can.

http://googone.com/Goo-Gone-Problem-Solving

1010129616.jpg

Another possible way but I'm not sure will work is to try those car Bug and Tar remover. These may be safer as they are not supposed to damage the car finishes.

turtle_wax_bug_and_tar_remover_T520A.jpg

I am sure the Goo Gone will work, the problem is it may remove more than than what you want. :(

Goo Gone should work. If you are concerned with reaction you can use the weaker Goo Gone. I think the Spray Gel is not as strong as the liquid one. You should wipe clean with water to remove any residue. Many people say Goo Gone will melt some plastic although their site claim it is safe. Of course use as little as you can.

http://googone.com/Goo-Gone-Problem-Solving

1010129616.jpg

Another possible way but I'm not sure will work is to try those car Bug and Tar remover. These may be safer as they are not supposed to damage the car finishes.

turtle_wax_bug_and_tar_remover_T520A.jpg

I am sure the Goo Gone will work, the problem is it may remove more than than what you want. :(
I wouldn't want to try it on my cameras! :O

If you want can try olive oil.. I use it to remove sticky double sided tape on my tripod that time, aft removing use oil adsorb tissue to wipe it. Clean and oil free...

I see...I have no in depth experience with the adhesive industry...but want to know more to clarify the risks of using vinyl decals vs gaffer tapes. Regarding vehicles and clearcoat, typically clearcoat is made of urethane or polyurethane, which itself is a form of plastic.

I know some adhesives can corode and have chemical reactions to certain types of plastics, but i've only seen this with liquid adhesives, and not really on adhesives that are bonded to tapes/vinyl.

would the adhesives used by 3M on their carbon fibre vinyls be safer?

What you use is 3M DiNoc. It works pretty well for interior design and automobiles. As DD123 mentioned, plastics are a different matter altogether.

3M DiNoc, while having "low" adhesion qualities, are ultimately synthetic based adhesives. Short term ok, long term hard to tell.

for example, my latest "gaffer" project

lens hood and lens are gaffered with different car decals (scrub black and matte black) to have some variation.

8139.jpg

Actually looks very neat. With all my gaffer tapes disintegrating, it might be a better choice. Where is a good place to buy these?

ebay.

the ability to use a pen-knife to measure and cut the vinyl to size and the lack of sticky residue from gaffer tapes on the edges of the vinyl wraps are a few of the reasons why i use this over gaffer.

Actually looks very neat. With all my gaffer tapes disintegrating, it might be a better choice. Where is a good place to buy these?

ebay.

the ability to use a pen-knife to measure and cut the vinyl to size and the lack of sticky residue from gaffer tapes on the edges of the vinyl wraps are a few of the reasons why i use this over gaffer.

Thanks. Can post some links?