How to "read" those alphabets on lens

Status
Not open for further replies.

melkenn

Mar 31, 2005
I have just got myself a D70s with kit lens 2 months ago.

And I have been trying to found out what are the lens available from Nikon, sigma and Tamron, but I just don't seem to understand what are those alpahabets, such as AF-S, AF, DX, VR, IF-ED, etc, etc.. means.

How do I know what lens can I use on my D70s?
What does those alphabets means?

Could some experts here enlighten me, please.

Thanks.

melkenn said:
I have just got myself a D70s with kit lens 2 months ago.

And I have been trying to found out what are the lens available from Nikon, sigma and Tamron, but I just don't seem to understand what are those alpahabets, such as AF-S, AF, DX, VR, IF-ED, etc, etc.. means.

How do I know what lens can I use on my D70s?
What does those alphabets means?

Could some experts here enlighten me, please.

Thanks.

AF-S and AF Nikkor lens can be used on your D70s. AF-S is the one with the SWM motor allows faster and silent autofocusing.
DX are lens that are designed for digital bodies.
VR are vibration reduction, a feature on the lens that helps to reduce handshake.
IF means internal focusing, lens do not turn external during focusing.
ED means
Extralow Dispersion. Nikon developed ED (Extralow Dispersion) glass to enable the production of lenses that offer superior sharpness and colour correction by minimising chromatic aberration.
You can probably find more info on Nikkor lens at http://www.nikon.com.sg/PRODUCT/LENSES/NikonLensTech.htm
As for third party lens, look for Nikon-AF mounts.

Thank you very much, guys! :D

Learnt something today...:thumbsup:

Regarding what glasses can be used on your D70S and/or functions missing from using any glass, you can check your friendly D70S manual. Every manual tells you what glass/flash is compatible with your D70s :)

Thanks!
Will look up the manual tonight. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.