how to prevent fogging in DSLR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

song

Feb 23, 2002
homex.coolconnect.com
Hi,

I am going up snow mountain in my recent trip. my mountain base is abour 20degree but up the mountain, the temp is is -10degree. How do i prevent fogging? Is there a special way to take out or let the camera acclimatise?

thanks for advising.

song

Leave the camera in the camera bag for a while, lets the camera and air adjust to the new tempature. Some people will suggest using zip lock bags, but I find just keeping it in the bag does the job. If you do take the camera out of the bag immediately, leave the lens cap on.

Hi,

I am going up snow mountain in my recent trip. my mountain base is abour 20degree but up the mountain, the temp is is -10degree. How do i prevent fogging? Is there a special way to take out or let the camera acclimatise?

thanks for advising.

song

Actually, you need to think more about keeping the camera in a warmer enclosure rather than fogging. I don't know but -10 degree may be a little cold for the operating temp of the camera. You may have to invest in a camera jacket style enclosure. Fogging is the least of your worries in this situation. Just don't breathe on your exposed lens elements to clean them.:nono::bsmilie:
Enjoy the climb, keep safe and GOD be with you. Come back safe.

I am not a mountain climber but my thoughts are the temperature reduction will be quick but gradual when you climb and dryer as it get colder, thus fogging will be unlikely.

I came across such situations when I went up Alishan in taiwan and when I boarded the bus which is aorund 20deg, the UV filter fogs up.

Scientifically, it is a "no choice" kind of problem.
As cold air condenses when it reaches warmer conditions. ;)

Other than fogging, do take note that your battery-life will be reduced due to the temperature.

Actually if fogging occurs, you can just let the water droplets evaporate from the glass and wipe with micro-fibre cloth.Most cold places (Outdoor.Not AIR_CON!) have very low humidity so water evaporates within a couple of minutes.

Hi,

thanks for advising.

song
if the transition is not abrupt, then it won't fog up.

one way is to not leave your camera in the bag, but it usually happens when say, you go from home in more temperate countries in winter outdoors, or from the car outside.

the problem is not fogging on front element, that one is easily resolved, i once had fogging on rear element as well...

Hi Song, you did not mention how high is your base camp but considering that the if the temperature is at 20C your camera will not fog up when you move up higher. Is your mountain in the tropic or further up north? Please bear in mind that humidity level gets lower the higher you go. Also I believe that you are going up gradually to -10C. One degree drop in temperature for every 1000 feet altitude, if my memory serves me well. I have lived in Lhasa, Tibet for almost 3 years, in altitude of 3,600 to 5,100m.

Status
Not open for further replies.