How to make a CD-rom that auto run a program?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrailsofLife

Jul 6, 2004
Singapore
Hi guys,

Anyone know how to make a CD-Rom that have a photo-viewer program installed in the CD-Rom and Auto-launch when put into the computer or laptop?

Best will be workable for both Mac and PC.

Thanks!:thumbsup:

Max 2.8

for windows, it requires an autorun.ini file. i've used it to autorun applications, not so sure about documents or others. as for macintosh, never seen any before. i think there's a 'security feature' that prevents apps from being launched automatically

Thanks! That's alot of info to read:sweat: will go thru it...though I not very PC literate:sweat:

For Mac, anyone know how to autorun eg. iPhoto in a Mac when a CD-Rom is isert?

auto run is a standard feature in windows xp

it is so "auto" that i have disabled it in both my DVD drives as I find it irritating

I want to decide when the program runs and not let the pc decide

ricohflex said:
auto run is a standard feature in windows xp

it is so "auto" that i have disabled it in both my DVD drives as I find it irritating

I want to decide when the program runs and not let the pc decide

i think it applies to individual workstation,if you check the box to run with that program everytime a disc is insert then it will do so.

What i think the thread starter means is standard that program run on any machines the moment disc is inserted.:)

Actually, what I want to do, is to auto run a software thats not installed on the computer but installd in the CD Rom.

How to install a software in a CD rom?

Max 2.8 said:
Actually, what I want to do, is to auto run a software thats not installed on the computer but installd in the CD Rom.

How to install a software in a CD rom?
If you're talking about auto-launching a slide-show from the collection of images on the CD-ROM, there are many freeware on the Net to download to use. I used to play with such slide-show programs few years back when I started digital photography, they're quite easy to use.

Here's one example....

http://www.visual-mp3.com/review/2339.html

I'll see if I can find some more for you tonight.

Try Pro Show Gold:thumbsup:

Actually no, not slideshow, more like a imageviewer program, like iPhoto

Max 2.8 said:
Actually no, not slideshow, more like a imageviewer program, like iPhoto

Actually I saw it some where. All you have to do is to put a small text file into the cd when you burn it.

Inside the file you type in the following :

[autorun]
open=setup.exe
icon=setup.exe

save the file as autorun.inf

Please test it on a cdrw first :)

Your image viewer program must be a stand alone one and should be a single file that can run from the cd. It will not work if the program needs to be installed e.g running setup.exe etc. I know what you want to do...correct me if I am wrong. You want to store your jpg files on the cd and also put the image viewer file on the cd. When the cd in inserted it will autorun the image viewer software showing all the image. If this is the case then do as what leumas01 said with the inf file. However you will need a software that can run on it's own without installing.

Try this:

http://www.anixsoft.com/files/PicShow.exe

It will create the autorun files etc. when you install it. You just put the files in the specified directory and copy the whole lot to the CD.

Please note that I test installed it on my PC and it seemed to work. I did not actually put in my own photos and did not try burning it on a CD, so no guarantees :)

Max 2.8 said:
Hi guys,

Anyone know how to make a CD-Rom that have a photo-viewer program installed in the CD-Rom and Auto-launch when put into the computer or laptop?

Best will be workable for both Mac and PC.

Thanks!:thumbsup:

Max 2.8

You can try this...
1. Use Photoshop Automated's Web Photo Gallery
2. Launch notepad and add the following:
[autorun]
shellexecute=index.htm
label=my portfolio
3. and saved as autorun.inf
7. Put this autorun.inf in the folder Photoshop created and burn to CD

The Cd-ROM will launch the web browser on the viewer's machine. I am sure every PC has one...
No need to fiddle with extra software.

This works on Window platform. Not sure about Mac

Status
Not open for further replies.