How to know the total shutter count from Canon EOS 500D ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

liauwsiauwlong

Nov 2, 2009
Singapore
Hi Canoners ,

I need the tutorial about how to get total shutter count value from Canon EOS 500D Body ? I read in the manual so far , but still there no statement or comment about this one .

There is no way to do it yourself. I believe the only way is to bring the camera to Canon service center to check for you.

From what I know so far, there is no way to know. Some online software only for other models like 450D, 1000D, but not for 500D.

Bring to CSC ask them to check, they might charge you $20 (according to website).

From what I know so far, there is no way to know. Some online software only for other models like 450D, 1000D, but not for 500D.

Bring to CSC ask them to check, they might charge you $20 (according to website).

Jezze , pay additional $20 every time to check shutter count ? I think it suppose to be an ease way .

Jezze , pay additional $20 every time to check shutter count ? I think it suppose to be an ease way .
Really, how often do you need to check shutter count?

If you are buying a 2nd hand camera and want to make sure the shutter count is not unreasonably high.

That is the only time I think you need to know. Other than that, if you own the camera 1st hand, you should already have a good idea how many shots you have taken.

Most of the shutter mechanism will last 100K to 150K so it should not be a major concern to most people.

Oh didn't realise it doesnt work with 500D anymore. Just take a rough guide from the file nos then. E.g. 101-3350 is 13,350 shutter count. But it doesnt count those that were shot without card.

XXXD series canon claim it is 50,000.

Really, how often do you need to check shutter count?

If you are buying a 2nd hand camera and want to make sure the shutter count is not unreasonably high.

That is the only time I think you need to know. Other than that, if you own the camera 1st hand, you should already have a good idea how many shots you have taken.

Most of the shutter mechanism will last 100K to 150K so it should not be a major concern to most people.

Thanks Tan,
thats why i need that one, because this is my new camera and i choose the setting that will reset number every change a new sd card .

Do you download your photos to your computer? Maybe just count them and add an estimated % of deleted pics.
If you're not selling it now, it should not matter. Use it a year more and someone would come up with a software for 500D by then.

anyone used it after 50,000 ? What will happen after that..

You can either keep on using it until the shutter fails or replace the shutter.

The 450D, 500D and 1000D shutter are rated at 100,000. Only the early models like 350D and 400D shutter are specified at 50,000. You can find the info here.

anyone used it after 50,000 ? What will happen after that..
The Shutter Durability Rating is just a figure Canon provides, something like BTMF from your hard disk manufacturer.

It doesn't mean the shutter mechanism will fail after 100,000 actuation. The shutter might keep on working or it might fail after just 2,000 actuation.

I wouldn't worry about it until it actually happened.

Actually in order to get the most accurate count, go to canon service centre. Do it if u happen to send your cam for any kind of servicing

The Shutter Durability Rating is just a figure Canon provides, something like BTMF from your hard disk manufacturer.

It doesn't mean the shutter mechanism will fail after 100,000 actuation. The shutter might keep on working or it might fail after just 2,000 actuation.

I wouldn't worry about it until it actually happened.

True, nothing much to worry about, especially for hobbyist.
For those who involve in freelance, they will know to prepare a back up camera when shooting the event / assignment, if something bad happen, the back up cam cans till do the job.

Found one that might work. However, I don't have a 500D so perhaps someone with this camera can try it and get back to let us know if it works or not.

It is not as straight forward as the software from astrojargon.net

Here is the LINK with the detail instruction. Basically, you go into the RAW file and read the HEX number and then convert it to decimal. They have tested it with 20D and 30D but if they are getting it out from the RAW file, I think it might work across the board with all EOS cameras.

Last edited:
Tried it, but I'm not sure if there was a misstep (even though after following it to the letter), found the values in both address locations ($95D & $95E) to contain "00" & "00" respectively.

For those who involve in freelance, they will know to prepare a back up camera when shooting the event / assignment, if something bad happen, the back up cam cans till do the job.

Agree.. in the day of the shoot anything may go wrong, but equipment failure should not be one of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.