How to increase the range of PT04M wireless remote flash trigger

Just to check.

I can use this PT04M wireless remote flash trigger with the Nikon D90 and trigger my SB400 and SB600?

Thank you.

Just to check.

I can use this PT04M wireless remote flash trigger with the Nikon D90 and trigger my SB400 and SB600?

Thank you.

Hi cichild

Best you get it direct from horse's mouth, post this enquires in

http://store.tagotech.com/product_i...id=40&osCsid=574207004cf988a8393cfa27456b793f

4 Channels Hotshoe Radio Trigger for Camera (V2s)
- Turn your existing camera flash into a studio flash
- All flash fixed onto this product will be at manual mode, i.e. NO TTL ETTL
- Specifically for Canon 580EX, 580EX II, 430EX and Olympus FL-36, it's also compatible with most other flash like Canon 550EX, 540EZ, 520EZ, 430EZ, 420EX, 420EZ, 380EX, Nikon SB-800, SB-600, SB-28, SB-27, SB-26, SB-25, SB-24, Olympus FL-50, FL-40, FL-36, Pentax AF-540 FGZ, AF-360 FGZ, AF-400 FT, AF-240 FT, Sigma EF-500 DG Super, EF-430, Sunpak Auto 2000DZ, 622 Pro, 433AF, 433D, 383, 355AFm 344D, 333D

NOT compatible with Sigma EF-500 DG ST

Last edited:
Did a test last night with peterpan1975 along the pavement next to May Bank, between May Bank & Fullerton Hotel.

Eqpt :
540EZ & 550EX
Phottix Wireless Flash Remote from bought from ShutterCentre (iirc his nick).

Test 1
Mount Transmitter on Camera & Receiver to Flash.
Set to same frequency.
Flash works reliably at 18 tiles (1 tiles approximately 2 feet square) distant.
This works out to be around 10 - 11 meters.

Test 2
Mount 1 Transmitter on Camera & 1 Receiver to another Transmitter (acting as "Relay Station).
The 1st pair were set to frequency "00".
The Transmitter that was mounted to the receiver was set to "10".
A 2nd Receiver was connected to a Flash, with the frequency set to "10".
The range was doubled, with the "Relay Station" place inbetween the Camera (18 tiles away) & the Flash (18 tiles away from the "Relay Station").

Note : For some reason that I don't know :
1) The frequency of the 1st pair has to be either "00" or "11", the 2nd pair has to be "10" or "01".

2) If the 1st pair is set to "00" and 2nd pair to "11", the remote will not work reliably.

Last edited:
Dennis and I will be doing another round of Wireless trigger this weekend. This time, we will get another set of PT04 trigger and receiver. We will be testing 2 extended Range setup with 2 different channel.

------> relay 1 (channel 1) -----------------> Flash
trigger
------> relay 2 (channel 2) -----------------> Flash

See if this setup works.

And also Stay tune for test run on Eye-Fi (wifi SD card review) ***** when item arrive in SG *******

hi guys,

tested my trigger with the newer batch of trigger from the supplier, it dosent work.

if anyone has the older version, ie bought last year, Phottix 04M II, if you dont mind, can we meet up to do this test?

thanks.

so whats the extended range like?

without relay station, ie camera direct to flash, less than 11m.

1x relay station, ie camera to station, station to flash, less than 22m.

2x relay station, ie camera to station 1, station 1 to station 2, station 2 to flash, less than 33m.

pls note this expt was done with PT04II (the older version from Shutter Central).

It will not work if u mix the new & old version even though they are both name under PT04II.

Last edited:
test27.jpg

The detail of my expt setup, from left to right :

1) On camera unit
transmitter (channel 1=0, 2=0)

2) Relay station 1
receiver (channel 1=0, 2=0)
transmitter (channel 1=1, 2=1)

3) Relay station 2
receiver (channel 1=1, 2=1)
transmitter (channel 1=1, 2=0)

4) On flash unit
receiver (channel 1=1, 2=0)

quite impressive.. I'm thinking does the relay introduce a significant delay? If it cuts down on your useable sync speed too much, then that extended range isn't really worth it when using it outdoors..

Also tested with this setup, for what ever possible reasons one may have :

1) additional flash with extra receiver (channel 1=0, 2=0), it will fire

2) additional flash with receiver (channel 1=1, 2=1), it will fire

So with this, there are alot of possibilities.

Why i do this? For hobbyist,

1) it is hell lot cheaper than canon's ste2, radio popper, pocket wizard etc
2) no need line of sight as per the optical trigger
3) no need messy pc cord
4) can be use with strobe when use with PC cord

quite impressive.. I'm thinking does the relay introduce a significant delay? If it cuts down on your useable sync speed too much, then that extended range isn't really worth it when using it outdoors..

the last i tried 1x relay station with peterpan1975, no problem.

will test 2x relay station this saturday.

nice.
without your specific setup, 1 transmitter + 1 receiver up to 10m (no line of sight required) right?

heard that in broad day light if the sun is strong, the triggering signal strength may drop?

nice.
without your specific setup, 1 transmitter + 1 receiver up to 10m (no line of sight required) right?

heard that in broad day light if the sun is strong, the triggering signal strength may drop?

The last time peterpan1975 & me tested direct control, ie no relay station, was past mid night on the Fullerton Bridge, it was less than 11m. We thought there will be less interference from buildings and electrical cables.

But I just tested (1630hr) direct control, ie no relay station, along the corridor of my flat, the range was extended :

left lift lobby, 3rm, 4rm, 4rm, 3rm, middle lift lobby, 3rm.

I am not sure why, may be because signal are funneled directly to the receiver due to the corridor wall, c-ling, floor & the wall of the houses.

May be someone who are familiar with signal can help to explain the possible cause of the difference we are seeing here?

The wires and steel cables in the walls of your place act as phase-transfer konduktor! :devil:

For extended range, always carry your flat with you! :bsmilie:

The entire corridor? :sweat: :sweat: :sweatsm:

But seriously, GREAT EXPERIMENT!!! :thumbsup:

How much did the total set-up cost?