How to increase shutter speed with SB600?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pardon me ... what is "FP"??

actually I do face a problem and that is even with flash on and with the correct exposure, I do encounter blurness in my picture and my guess is of my unstable hand and probably by having a fast shutter speed say 1/100, it maybe able to help to eliminate the blurness.
That is why, I am trying to increase the shutter speed from 1/60 which is the default. However, I do not know if this method works or not.
Any advise??
i cant remember what is the actual name for it, its called Focal Plane or something? no idea. but its an option for you in your camera to turn on so that you can sync the flash with higher shutter speeds.

in d200, its under your flash shutter speed settings, the one where you set 1/60, there's another option 1/60 (auto FP), the D80 has an individual FP on/off selection in the menu. enabling this, whilst using the sb600 or sb800, in bright light conditions, you still can sync at much higher shutter speeds than the built in flash.

your blurness is due to handshake or backfocus? what focal length used? if you are using anything in the range of 18-55mm, 1/60 is always close to 100% no handshake theoretically. sometimes you might have a lens back focus problem instead that gives blur pics

FP = Flash Plane?

d80:
this enables you to set the shutter to a faster speed. I usually use this for fill-in flash and keep the aperture wide open.

d70s:
the fastest for this guy i think is 1/500.

The cam has to be in "M" mode to be able to do this IIRC. HTH.

If I remember correctly, D80's max shutter with flash attached is 1/200s.

i can use 1/60s to freeze pple discoing, belly dancing, and even playing football (but i cannot freeze the football) in some games. :)

correct me if i am wrong, you are shooting a football game with flash? even at night is it allowed?

unless is a fast moving object, or using a long lens, you should able to do handheld shooting at 1/60s. what subjects are you shooting?

depend on what kind of situations, you can increase the ISO, open up the aperture to get higher shutter speed. or simply switch to manual mode with higher shutter speed.

Thanks for the reply.
subjects are portraits in restaurant, hall, etc which can consider as in low light condition.

Typically I have open the aperture to the biggest when I took the picture but this will also have very shallow DOF, I think I will need to balance all these variables.

i cant remember what is the actual name for it, its called Focal Plane or something? no idea. but its an option for you in your camera to turn on so that you can sync the flash with higher shutter speeds.

in d200, its under your flash shutter speed settings, the one where you set 1/60, there's another option 1/60 (auto FP), the D80 has an individual FP on/off selection in the menu. enabling this, whilst using the sb600 or sb800, in bright light conditions, you still can sync at much higher shutter speeds than the built in flash.

your blurness is due to handshake or backfocus? what focal length used? if you are using anything in the range of 18-55mm, 1/60 is always close to 100% no handshake theoretically. sometimes you might have a lens back focus problem instead that gives blur pics

aiyoh ... now then I find myself ignorant?? :sweat:
what is back focus??
I am using the 18-135mm lens and I am shooting at 18mm for that pic.
I also dunno where went wrong, need to do some test shot then can.

aiyoh ... now then I find myself ignorant?? :sweat:
what is back focus??
I am using the 18-135mm lens and I am shooting at 18mm for that pic.
I also dunno where went wrong, need to do some test shot then can.
hmm.... chances at 18mm the back focus issue is usually not very apparent.

18mm should be very comfortable to hold at 1/60 most of the time, if not all the time.

hmm.... chances at 18mm the back focus issue is usually not very apparent.

18mm should be very comfortable to hold at 1/60 most of the time, if not all the time.

hmmm ... i check out some definition on back focus, it was mention that back focus will tend to happen when len is zoom out but it didn't mention whether 18mm will have impact or not.

however, if as you mention, it will not be that apparent, then I think my problem will be more like handshake oreadi :dunno:

any other different opinion?

Thanks ;p

Must be some really bad handshake to have subject blur when you pop the flash... Post a picture. NPNT :)

Sorry Pal, due to some issue which I can't reveal, I don't think I can post that pic here.
Sorry for being so secretive but I do have my concern .... :sweat:
Hope you can understand :)

Sorry Pal, due to some issue which I can't reveal, I don't think I can post that pic here.
Sorry for being so secretive but I do have my concern .... :sweat:
Hope you can understand :)

How about some strategic crops?

Status
Not open for further replies.