how to freelance?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sion said:
If you can make money out of the photography hobby, why not? If you enjoy what you are doing, you probably will try to be good in it.

I can't see myself shooting just for posting in photo forums, entering photo competitions or hanging the prints on the wall. If I haven't had "commercialized" my photography, I don't think my interest in photography will last this long. :bsmilie:

The up sides of making money out of photography? Better and more expensive equipments and upgrading because they are self-financed. Tax reductions for all photography related expenses if the side income from photography is susbstantial enough.

Because you are pitting your works against the professionals, you are more quality conscious and experimenting more to develop a signature and always improving your products rather than shooting just for fun.

I totally disagree. If I had stayed shooting for profit, as I did for a short while way back then, my photography skill/results will probably had improved much more much faster, but my interest and passion in photography will probably had suffered that much more.

Shooting purely for fun is the drive that pushed me to where I am now. Just me. I will not change it a bit.

Sion said:
Landscape and nature shots are kind of hard to market.
Why iS that so? I thought these can sell to travel magazines and nature magzines, right?

Germinc said:
Why iS that so? I thought these can sell to travel magazines and nature magzines, right?

You're going to face the most intense competition because the first thing an amateur who doesn't want to do wedding thinks of is to shoot travel and scenics.

However you could come on top of the pile by covering a region in depth and develop a unique signature style.

go shoot those events with celebrities and then sell the photos on online auction. I dunno if this is illegal.

Paul_Yeo said:
go shoot those events with celebrities and then sell the photos on online auction. I dunno if this is illegal.

It's a grey area, but celebs management companies frown on it. If they blacklist you, then you wun be able to get more chances to take anymore pictures in future.

Though I never sell any photos before.
But I think the best thing to do is to ask around and sell yourself.
Keep a good profile of your own photos.
Check online and see if there is any overseas submission
opportunity that can help you make money.

I think the only way to earn money is just do it.
You may face difficulty or rejection.
But just like any other job, if you try hard enough, you
will get it.
Hopefully... :bsmilie:

Sion said:
I've done that before.

But the customers wanted me to supply the passports as well. :bsmilie: :bsmilie:
:bsmilie: :bsmilie:

That's funny.

How 'bout be an in house photographer for Ah Long's Finance.

:bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Sion said:
I've done that before.

But the customers wanted me to supply the passports as well. :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

aloyteo said:
make some money so as to support the hobby to make more money - its a vicious cycle ;)

anyway for those news hotline thing if u captured like say the nicoll highway collapse how much will the photos be worth?

I came across an article on a trend in newspaper stringers in the UK - (a stringer is a freelace PJ who sells to the newspapers sort of ) their income levels over the last 5 years have been declining,some newspapers have frozen payouts for purchased pics for the last 5 years some have decreased the rate. The newspapers "buy" a lot from citizen reporters - ie folks who have a digital camera and got some kind of shot of some newsworthy event. Pay scales range from using by a credit line to a rate lower than what they would have paid a stringer. A pic from a stringer is around 8 pounds - call it $8 - ridculous.

Perhaps if its really news and there are not other photos - fat chance given phones have cameras and some people do bring a digital every where they go. - you could negotiate a price but like all time sensitive stuff wait too long it loses much of its value.

Paul_Yeo said:
another income, maybe can help people shoot passport photos :sweat:
PRO, can teach me how? I wanna learn from you :thumbsup:

espn said:
PRO, can teach me how? I wanna learn from you :thumbsup:

Cannot teach you bcos I am lousy newbie & I am still learning how to take passport photos :(

Paul_Yeo said:
Cannot teach you bcos I am lousy newbie & I am still learning how to take passport photos :(
Wah... nevermind, I PA you at least you got people hire you to take passport photos. I also want to learn :thumbsup:

i thought now many shops take passport photos for a cheap price, how to compete with them?

aloyteo said:
i thought now many shops take passport photos for a cheap price, how to compete with them?
simple lar, make one big enlagrement print for them to put infront of vehicles in future, tell them take once for all, multiply usage.

catchlights said:
simple lar, make one big enlagrement print for them to put infront of vehicles in future, tell them take once for all, multiply usage.

traffic police will b v happy! :lovegrin:

Status
Not open for further replies.