How to decide if you're ready

Status
Not open for further replies.
My main objective in posting the question was to seek advise from the experienced guys on CS on how they decided on when they were ready. There are new photographers starting off a little too early and producing unsatisfactory pictures. Some deem themselves "professional" when their pictures suggest otherwise. Wanted to get some advises and keep myself away from such mistakes. There are no right and wrong answers, just good answers for reference. One can still agree or disagree. :) Thanks all whom have posted.

My main objective in posting the question was to seek advise from the experienced guys on CS on how they decided on when they were ready. There are new photographers starting off a little too early and producing unsatisfactory pictures. Some deem themselves "professional" when their pictures suggest otherwise. Wanted to get some advises and keep myself away from such mistakes. There are no right and wrong answers, just good answers for reference. One can still agree or disagree. :) Thanks all whom have posted.

I don't think you can ever decide if you are ready, the market will do that for you...;)

Insanne has probably given you a good gauge. I'll add something a little less nice-sounding vs the rest.

If you can bother to ask in here, you probably are NOT ready.

...If you can bother to ask in here, you probably are NOT ready...

Thanks for the reply Azure. Actually, I am not asking on comments if I am ready. If I were, I would have put up pictures I've taken for critiques here instead. Its more on finding out how to know one is :) Please contribute objectively instead. Not to stir up a flame war here so no offence. Do appreciate you spending time on this thread. Thanks. By the way, you take nice pictures, have seen some of them on the forum. :thumbsup:

When you feel confident enough to bite the bullet.
...technical knowledge should be at your finger tips and shouldn't be your concern anymore...
when you are confident that you can deliver the images that you were contracted to capture
...The day you think you are ready, will be the day that you not learn, not create and not experiment. Readiness is complacency....

...I don't think you can ever decide if you are ready, the market will do that for you...

Thanks for the above contributions which I've found to be sound advises. Once told by a old magazine photographer in thailand that when you have discovered your own unique style and deliver consistently with that style, that'll be the time you are quite ready, build on that style.

Good point. hehe.

There are new photographers starting off a little too early and producing unsatisfactory pictures. Some deem themselves "professional" when their pictures suggest otherwise.

There are the risk takers and they learn early.

There are some who just talk about it but never do it. :)

Sigh.

You have already more or less answered yourself. Perhaps what you seek is external validation? Then my post stands. What Insanne has mentioned is quite accurate. That
1 - its an evolving/learning process, you're never "ready"....
2 - the market will decide for you....

Therefore my add-on, that if you still need to ask, despite that, then you are NOT ready.

Or is it still too hard to understand?
(I recall a spoonfeeder elsewhere... hope you aren't expecting the same...)

Lastly, nope, I do not care about flamers and flaming. I usually respond with what I think+know and move on. If folks want to pick a flame-war, its their loss. I dont bother. Haha.

jus to add a few cents worth.. besides photography skills, which of course is important.. i think u need more of business skills. do u have a business plan? pr? marketing? finance? admin? do u have it all sorted and planned out? do u have an idea how to stand out from the rest? look ard, successful photographers have good photography skills, but there are also those who are on par in terms of skills who may not be as successful. often its a combination of both u need to succeed. perhaps this is a point u need to consider. anyway, if u have doubts that u as to whether u are ready.. den most likely u are not.

Shared history, vision and shared values
sometimes play a part especially when one has
an empty rice bowl.

Abstract1.jpg

----------------------------------------------------
A true creative business person will find
his position upfront when he is able to rid
himself of all self-imposed limitation.

You have already more or less answered yourself. Perhaps what you seek is external validation? Then my post stands. What Insanne has mentioned is quite accurate. That
1 - its an evolving/learning process, you're never "ready"....
2 - the market will decide for you....

Therefore my add-on, that if you still need to ask, despite that, then you are NOT ready.

Or is it still too hard to understand?
(I recall a spoonfeeder elsewhere... hope you aren't expecting the same...)

I understand what you're trying to get across now, indeed i don't consider myself being ready. Haven't been in the photography scene for long, would need all the exposure i could get. Won't request to be spoon fed, but I'm greatful for all contributions to this thread. Most could have simply ignored. :)

...i think u need more of business skills. do u have a business plan? pr? marketing? finance? admin? do u have it all sorted and planned out? do u have an idea how to stand out from the rest?...

Have gained some experience while doing business in thailand and also being in the freelance software development scene since the early 90s. I don't forsee much of a problem with PR, finance and marketing skills. I suppose i am lacking in the technical and creative aspect :embrass:, that'll need to be worked on. As mentioned by insanne and Azure, it is an ongoing process I do agree. Thanks for your advise. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the above contributions which I've found to be sound advises. Once told by a old magazine photographer in thailand that when you have discovered your own unique style and deliver consistently with that style, that'll be the time you are quite ready, build on that style.

I beg to differ, style is a cliche and style is imitatable by anyone who has just that little bit more observation power. If you have a style, you are predictable and not innovative. I think that whole concept of photography held here by most is wrong (I am saying "most" so as not to offend anyone :p). It's never about the image, never about the camera, never about the composition, it's all about yourself. Making images, is all about yourself. It's your experiences and knowing, that is not imitatable by anyone.

Many jump in, swim in the waters for a couple of years, and get out. Some quote competition, some quote undercutting, others quote ...well... whatever. Most of them were probably never ready in the first place (but nobody is going to admit that).

Some of the replies that you got in this thread already tell you what you truly need to consider before even starting.

So, if you have to ask the question, then you are probably NOT ready.

- my last post here -

Building technical skills with a creative mind is not only essential
but having sincere guidance from the pros could be a big advantage.
In my opinion the Thai photographer could have given you the
wrong information that once you find your style you are ready.

The advantage of proper formal training has its merits.
The self-taught commercial photographer may not be
aware of the proper approach to acquire the necessary skills and lighting and shooting commercial style.

Though the enthusiast may have the finance but he may not be in the knowledge as to the essential gears to acquire in such a challenging environment. “The cheaper the better” seems to spell disaster sometimes.

Unknown areas will be the ground rules for each and every commercial photo assignment. How he approach the given assignment at hand is crucial to his success. Basic areas like location food photography or just corporate head shots for instance can be a problem if he has not gone through the experiences.

Getting enough marketing and practicing how to impress clients from proofing, gear preparation to workflow management is vital.

Commercial photography without public relation efforts will see the sky at a much slower space and may come to a point of lacking prosperity sooner or later.

:):):):heart:

Status
Not open for further replies.