How to copy a photo to achieve best result?

Status
Not open for further replies.

reachme2003

Oct 6, 2003
How to copy a gloss 5x7 size photo to achieve the best result i.e. with minimal reflections, etc? equipment available are a dslr and a hotshoe flash with swiveling head. thanks. pls exclude scanning.

reachme2003 said:
How to copy a gloss 5x7 size photo to achieve the best result i.e. with minimal reflections, etc? equipment available are a dslr and a hotshoe flash with swiveling head. thanks. pls exclude scanning.

cannot scan?

then u have to find a piece of non reflective multicoated plastic to flatten the photo.

then u make a funnel, 1 side can cover the 5x7, another side for your lens, depending on your mount. use 2 flash, side by side, on the pic (Outside the funnel of course)...

(above is purely based on imagination)

many thanks. i am thinking of bouncing the camera mounted flash into a large white card to achieve a broad light onto the photo. perhaps, with additional cards to act as fills.

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
cannot scan?

then u have to find a piece of non reflective multicoated plastic to flatten the photo.

then u make a funnel, 1 side can cover the 5x7, another side for your lens, depending on your mount. use 2 flash, side by side, on the pic (Outside the funnel of course)...

(above is purely based on imagination)

just scan the photo

1. it is easier
2. it is totally straight
3. the scanner has more MP than your camera

4800dpi x 5" = 24000 pixels
4800dpi x 7" = 33600 pixels

806,400,000 mega pixel camera :eek:

ortega said:
just scan the photo

1. it is easier
2. it is totally straight
3. the scanner has more MP than your camera

4800dpi x 5" = 24000 pixels
4800dpi x 7" = 33600 pixels

806,400,000 mega pixel camera :eek:
eh pixel only... no mega :sweat: if got mega i also wanna buy that scanner :lovegrin:

thanks. i already know the classic copy setup. what i am trying to achieve is constrained by the equipment i currently have. i am not prepared to spend $.

catchlights said:

you don't need soft light for copy work, but if you use only one light, try to place the light as far as possible (45°), so the light on near end and far end will not have very much differents, ([SIZE=-1]I[/SIZE]nverse square law), you can use a board on the other side as reflector too.

use a mirror to get perfect perpendicular camera angle.

well, my intent for using the large white card is not to change the quality of the light. it is to redirect the throw of light from my flash so that the light bounce off the card onto the photo will be about 45 degree from the lens' perspective. in this way, the flash remains hotshoed to the camera.

catchlights said:
you don't need soft light for copy work, but if you use only one light, try to place the light as far as possible (45°), so the light on near end and far end will not have very much differents, ([SIZE=-1]I[/SIZE]nverse square law), you can use a board on the other side as reflector too.

use a mirror to get perfect perpendicular camera angle.

Status
Not open for further replies.