How to check if its a genuine Nikon Dslr

blackster said:
On my Bday my gal friend gave me a present, tore off the wrapper and saw a golden box with the words Nikon ASF 24-70 f2.8 writen on it. i was like "Are u F***ing kidding me!?" open up the box took the lens out and it was a bloody thermal cup. The disappointment i had back then... lol:bsmilie:

Is it a lens thermal mug? :x

Hopefully mine could be the same case.

After checking grey set on Nikon website, guess I'll request the serial number from the seller and phone Nikon service center to check the genuine of the serials.

Qystan, hopefully that can also check whether is it a stolen goods :D

Will update you guys if this works :)

I don't think Nikon does a stolen items database. SingTel won't even do it for their customers hich is only SGP, Nikon is worldwide.

Ask for his personal particulars and write them down. Its still not proof that you bought it from him and you can still be in trouble for accepting stolen goods, esp if the price is too low to be above board. If he balks, its still your call.

Called both Nikon SG and Msia just now
1 lens is from SG
D7000 is from Msia
18-200 is also from Msia

Both body and zoom lens are genuine though.
Nikon Msia able to trace it to which dealer and the warranty period. Ask them if it's a stolen product but they say there is no report of it.

So well, kinda a piece of mind :)

Called both Nikon SG and Msia just now
1 lens is from SG
D7000 is from Msia
18-200 is also from Msia

Both body and zoom lens are genuine though.
Nikon Msia able to trace it to which dealer and the warranty period. Ask them if it's a stolen product but they say there is no report of it.

So well, kinda a piece of mind :)

well enjoy your new cam! =)

Welcome to the D7000 club!

Happy shooting....

Juz because there is a "Nikon" logo in front, you say it's genuine?

DSC_0730.JPG

I'll be damned if you can take any pictures with the above cakemera!!

Congrats on your DSLR BBB! :bsmilie:

Last edited:
kriegsketten said:

Is the DSLR part edible?

kriegsketten said:

Very nice cake by the way!

I called back to Nikon HQ to confirm the serial number.
They confirm it's genuine, not 'water product' so yea. :)

I dun think ppl will be free to fake one

I dun think ppl will be free to fake one

Sometimes it's good to be cautious, particularly when one just barely started to get into the hobby. Yeah, you'll get sniggered and laughed at by those who have been longer in it, but better be careful and laughed at than pay the ultimate price. Have you not seen the number of fake battery MB-D11 (for D7000) and MB-D10 grips out there? They are so well made that unless you pay attention to minute details you are not able to tell them apart. Not to mention fake batteries and other brand's grips... :)

TS, if you plan to buy MB-D11 grip for D7000, do read up on the various websites regarding fakes. Just google "Fake MB-D11" should bring you some results - take care to notice the minute differences. Coz when you're out shopping for 2nd Grips... you will need the info, relying on memory alone might or might not be the best option.

Enjoy your new cam!

Very nice cake by the way!

I called back to Nikon HQ to confirm the serial number.
They confirm it's genuine, not 'water product' so yea. :)

I believe 'water' products refer to those sets that are parallel imported, not through the proper local distribution channel/agents. They are every bit as genuine as the real sets - so yes in that regard they are genuine Nikon products. Except that warranty issues will crop regarding 'water' sets - you'll have to pay for repairs if you bring them back to the local agents - they may or may not service certain items at times. The only option is to bring them back to the parallel importers for repairs. So, I don't think 'water' products in this respect refers to "fakes"...