How to charge for prints?

If most business charges the way TS is thinking, most business will be out of business by now!

Hahahaha... well, someone has to go through that stage isn't it?

That is the benefit of not being really doing any business... as you could make a loss and still do it because you are happy that you actually do something.

Hart

it is not surprising, even as photographer like ourself do not understand why we need to markup the print price heavily for our effort, talent, time, and profit. How can we expect our customers/clients to understand?

if customers/clients see a print as a piece of paper, you can't expect them to pay you more than a piece of paper. You have to let them know why this piece of paper cost that much.

it is not surprising, even as photographer like ourself do not understand why we need to markup the print price heavily for our effort, talent, time, and profit. How can we expect our customers/clients to understand?

if customers/clients see a print as a piece of paper, you can't expect them to pay you more than a piece of paper. You have to let them know why this piece of paper cost that much.
I think you are spot on. If clients only evaluate your work by saying: "its just one click with your camera" or "the local aunty at the shop charges only 15c per print, how come you want $10 per print" then the photographer has lost his/her ability to sell their "product" as "my work" but only as raw materials which anyone can do.

-- marios

You are right.

I do get asked from time to time abt why my prints are more than the lab. I just smile and say, because it has the image I created for them.

That is why in business one would need to understand why they are in business. What they want to pitch and things like that.

That is why I don't have a package and charge a so call "creative fee" so my clients who book understand and appreciate the time I took to create, edit and have the products done for them.

One thing to note is, one don't have to sell the prints, one simply let the clients purchase them. There is a big different here. Put a price, show your work and let clients decide what to buy.

Hart

Since its neither here nor there (can't be helped since you said you started out just a few months), if you ask me, for 30 pix just print everything in S8R put into those $20 albums and charge $288....for anything below a R35. I think you already have the mindset in the first place that you are like "working for free". Don't think too much about it and move on. The customer I don't think is gonna mind and rack his brains to select. Next time draft up a quote/package in PDF before the shoot. Just tell him you are going to the lab 2X to print and collect and then pass to him, and the market price is about $5 per S8R. Explain that this "profit" is solely for your effort in going to the lab, the shoot itself is free as you promised. Can't be helped.

For weddings....even normal 4R prints can earn a bit. In another tone, during meetup I'd show them what a normal print with normal cam looks like, and what I can do even with a 4R. So your normal 360 prints and nice slot-in albums would cost $250 in another package. So you earn like $120 for your effort. Batch up 2 or 3 before making the trip to the lab (mine is along the way and just 6 mins from my house so its cool for me). Of course not everone would print, but not too bad if your vol is about 80 shoots a year. (don't take this year, really a bit screwed up). This can take care of your cam bodies, lens, flash, PC replacement every 2-3 years with change to spare if you don't aim everything to be top models. Not too bad lah. This price does not include delivery btw, that I charge another $88, put it into your quote. :)

Last edited:
Thanks guys for the 2nd page. Yep the problem lies more to how the customer think, as they're not the one doing the business. Catchlight is totally true.

wow, very informative topic. thanks for sharing the experiences/exposure as it provides me with an idea of cost and stuff...really appreciate...:thumbsup: