how to charge for photo shoot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

iZ1d

Jan 17, 2003
Visit site
hi there...
i'm a newbie and i would like to know how to charge for a photo shoot session for a band indoor & outdoor?
i only have a D70 kit, SB800 & 70-300sigma lens.
thanks in advance...

Well, for a start, how a person charges has no bearing on the type of equipment the photographer uses. Quite a few factors determine one's professional fee:

a) Experience
b) Content of package offered
c) Reasonable duration on time spent on your digital workflow
d) Market price (which varies depending on the above factors)

wah.... 70-300.. u must stand very far!!! Inorder to get a grp shot.. i suggest u get a WIDE AnGLE....
Indoor as in studio or on site? With Studio Strobe?
ETC...
all these must take into consideration
:)
Regards

Well the charges varies from the stuff the client requires. If they are happy with your current folio using your current stuff then charges in the range of $250-400 maybe OK. If stdio flashes are required (which you may have to hire) may cost up $600-800.

The real pros like my boss and myself charges $800 for a day's shoot at our studio and $1200-1800 on a location shoot.

Hope this helps.

Definition of Real Pros in Singapore : A person who makes money using his camera full time armed with a degree or a PPA certificate. This person might not be good in photograghy, but his credentials are good.

Defination of Real Pros in the rest of the world : A person who makes money using his camera full time, with or without a piece of paper that says he is pro, ..... but man, is this person's output good :D

Definition of Fake Pros in Singapore : A person who makes money using his camera full time armed without a degree or a PPA certificate. This person are good in photograghy, but his credentials are bad, serve him right for not going to college.

Definition of Fake Pros in the rest of the work : A person who makes money using his camera full time armed with a degree or a PPA certificate. This person might have good credentials, but this dammed person can't delivery his goods :D..

LOL :bsmilie: ..... just a teaser :D .....

iZ1d said:
would 250-300 be resonable for 1 full day of indoor & outdoor shoot?

If you feel you're lacking in experience for this kind of shoot, then perhaps you can charge them a low rate in order for you to gain experience. Most of the time clients will still expect good results (need to find out about their expectations).

2 suggestions:
a) Bring an extra camera body & flash, or
b) Have a 2nd photographer to accompany you as a backup.

How you charge is ultimately up to you, just need to bear in mind the hours you will be putting in taking the photos and editing the photos. Less you cost, consider the amount you will be earning on an hourly basis.

I agree with snowspdr, make sure you cover your transport and feed youself and your mate for the day. It's OK as long as you don't work staright thru for 8 hours without a break, that last time I took on a "small" job for a friend which I charged for less than my normal rates cost me. I work in straineous and under stress for 8 hours srtaight on without a break. I lost my voice for 2 weeks and only just recovered, and as an insructor it was costly.

Status
Not open for further replies.