How to buy 7D??

Status
Not open for further replies.
huh? If you are referring to the 7D being a full frame, nope, its not. Its a 1.6x cropped camera body. We don't have FF or cropped lenses. It's the bodies. one LENS, many LENSES la. :sweat:

thought its to replace 5D . didint realise is APS-C sensor. no wonder can use EFS lens.:bsmilie:

Leverage is only beneficial if you loan money to use that money to make even more money. Meaning, the cost of the loan is lower than the potential return on investment.

Incidentally, this got alot of people into big big trouble in 2008.

Ok. Back to topic.

I think TS got the idea after reading through all the valuable feedback. :)

To TS, I'll add another vote to all the rest who have advised you not to "borrow" to fund this as a hobby, especially if you are new to photography.
To add on a very important consideration, if you are new to DLSR (even if you have used Point and shoot cams before), please realise that DSLR cost can be very misleading. What you have considered is just the DSLR body, or perhaps a kit with lens (and this is what is often advertised and compared with point and shoot cam prices to attract pple to buy). You probably will need a dry cabinet (tens of dollars if not hundreds, depending on size) to properly protect your cam/lens from the humidity. You may start to hanker after better lenses (hundreds to thousands of dollars each) after you see what other pple use. You may realise you want an external flash (couple of hundreds). Then you need a good bag to carry your gear around (easily close to a hundred for a decent sized one). Filters to protect your lenses, additional memory cards, more powerful computer to allow u to process your photos, a good tripod, etc. The list goes on and on and the costs escalate very quickly far beyond your initial commitment. From my personal experience, the cam body is really just a small fraction of what I have spent on this hobby.

Start with something within your means (you can get pretty good point and shoot cams with your downpayment amt of $500). Or look for some means to earn some pocket money and save up faster/more. Consider what else you could use the money for if you did not spend it on this. If at the end of the day you still decide to jump into this, do jump in with eyes fully open and fully aware of what you are getting yourself into. Do remember that there is a big big difference between wants and needs.

Last edited:
To TS, I'll add another vote to all the rest who have advised you not to "borrow" to fund this as a hobby, especially if you are new to photography.
To add on a very important consideration, if you are new to DLSR (even if you have used Point and shoot cams before), please realise that DSLR cost can be very misleading. What you have considered is just the DSLR body, or perhaps a kit with lens (and this is what is often advertised and compared with point and shoot cam prices to attract pple to buy). You probably will need a dry cabinet (tens of dollars if not hundreds, depending on size) to properly protect your cam/lens from the humidity. You may start to hanker after better lenses (hundreds to thousands of dollars each) after you see what other pple use. You may realise you want an external flash (couple of hundreds). Then you need a good bag to carry your gear around (easily close to a hundred for a decent sized on). Filters to protect your lenses, additional memory cards, more powerful computer to allow u to process your photos, a good tripod, etc. The list goes on and on and the costs escalate very quickly far beyond your initial commitment. From my personal experience, the cam body is really just a small fraction of what I have spent on this hobby.

Start with something within your means (you can get pretty good point and shoot cams with your downpayment amt of $500). Or look for some means to earn some pocket money and save up faster/more. Consider what else you could use the money for if you did not spend it on this. If at the end of the day you still decide to jump into this, do jump in with eyes fully open and fully aware of what you are getting yourself into. Do remember that there is a big big difference between wants and needs.
Thanks alot. I really appreciate your comments . Just for everyone's info .. Im not new to photography nor Im new to dslr as i've been a photographer for many events but i just do not owned a camera . All those picture we're taken with a borrowed camera and for lenses , my friend will give me a 70-200mm F4 L non is version if i get a canon system . For flashes i agree i have to purcahse one . But i want make photography as an income earner not just for a hobby . Thanks all

Thanks alot. I really appreciate your comments . Just for everyone's info .. Im not new to photography nor Im new to dslr as i've been a photographer for many events but i just do not owned a camera . All those picture we're taken with a borrowed camera and for lenses , my friend will give me a 70-200mm F4 L non is version if i get a canon system . For flashes i agree i have to purcahse one . But i want make photography as an income earner not just for a hobby . Thanks all

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Don't spend money that is not yours already! Very bad habit. Cannot afford don't get simple logic. Do not use tomorrow's money today.:nono:

You won't die not having a camera. You will die if you are in lots of dept.

good one. if TS dun want a 2nd hand camera juz like myself...den juz wait. worse come to worse ask parents buy 1st. OR just forget abt it. thats wad i did. i wanted to do this hobby since 2007. got hooked by my company's d300, but i cldnt even afford a d80 cuz i was juz a bloody lowly paid intern. in the end i just gave up the thought of buying a dslr. held back this desire to own my own dslr til i got into NS. den save, den got my 50D. i'm happy as a bee now. haha...if i can force myself to wait for 2 years, i'm sure u can too.

but now i got a new disease...its called BBB. -_-" bloody photography.

anyway TS, you are lucky to haf a fren who wld give u an L lens. so envious! lol...where to find such frens this days huh guys?

Last edited:
Get a used 400d or 450D and a used 17-50 2.8 tamron for less than 1k SGD.

Thats 1000x better than 1,000 SGD 1000D with kit lens.

And will take better photos than a 7D with kit lens too (I'm assuming you wont have cash for a nice lens).

I think many wise words have already been said already is up to TS to listen or not. Going into dept before you even start to earn is very bad. If you really need a camera, get form BnS a 300D or 350D and a 3rd party lens first for around $500 which is what you have on hand now. Get a 10D with a kit 3rd party lens also can. All will fall within your $500. Plus your friend give you a 70-200L is even more fantastic. You are not in dept and still have a camera to use.

Last edited:
If you do not have a monthly income, i would not advise paying via Credit Card. That's how people go into debt.
Work part time jobs and save. Spending your own hard earned money is very rewarding and sometimes painful.:bsmilie:
If this is your first dslr purchase, i would recommend getting the entry level cameras second hand.

There is nothing fantastic about Canon 7D that is worth rushing for you buy it, other than its 2 processors that does nothing than filling up storage cards.

Beg to differ but it can do video very well :)

Anyways I agree that you should buy within your budget. Save up and wait. If cannot tahan and need to buy new then get a Canon Powershot S90 for approx $699 (you could bargain a little off that price).

The S90 will allow you to learn about aperture and shutter settings and how the perspective changes from 28mm to tele. An alternative would be the Panasonic LX-3.

The third option would be to get a Canon 350 with kit lens (a bit more risky as the warrenty on these would have expired long ago).

You get what you pay for most of the time.

There is nothing fantastic about Canon 7D that is worth rushing for you buy it, other than its 2 processors that does nothing than filling up storage cards. So you can always wait.

Getting a mid range models will do fine too. Less repayment pressure more happier usage.

7D is high end model? I thought it's mid end model, high end is like 1D? :dunno:

IMHO, 7D was made for advanced amateur and professional use. =) there are pros who want the 1.6x to mount their telephoto lenses while keeping their FF for landscape shots. and 7D being aps-c fits nicely into the efs range, something 500D and 50D users can upgrade to without ditching their efs lenses. 7D is there for the same reason as D300. i'm actually very happy that canon has finally an answer to D300.

IMHO, 7D was made for advanced amateur and professional use. =) there are pros who want the 1.6x to mount their telephoto lenses while keeping their FF for landscape shots. and 7D being aps-c fits nicely into the efs range, something 500D and 50D users can upgrade to without ditching their efs lenses. 7D is there for the same reason as D300. i'm actually very happy that canon has finally an answer to D300.

Oh I see, so it is the D300 competitor?

I think it is ok to borrow. As far as I know, Courts is the only retailer that offers installment without credit cards. Companies like GE Money can lend you money legally too. Just don't borrow from this guy called Ah Long.

I understand that there are people who believe that the world will end in 2012... so if TS save for 3yrs to buy, then he might never touch a 7D.

to ts, i'll add another vote to all the rest who have advised you not to "borrow" to fund this as a hobby, especially if you are new to photography.
To add on a very important consideration, if you are new to dlsr (even if you have used point and shoot cams before), please realise that dslr cost can be very misleading. What you have considered is just the dslr body, or perhaps a kit with lens (and this is what is often advertised and compared with point and shoot cam prices to attract pple to buy). You probably will need a dry cabinet (tens of dollars if not hundreds, depending on size) to properly protect your cam/lens from the humidity. You may start to hanker after better lenses (hundreds to thousands of dollars each) after you see what other pple use. You may realise you want an external flash (couple of hundreds). Then you need a good bag to carry your gear around (easily close to a hundred for a decent sized one). Filters to protect your lenses, additional memory cards, more powerful computer to allow u to process your photos, a good tripod, etc. The list goes on and on and the costs escalate very quickly far beyond your initial commitment. From my personal experience, the cam body is really just a small fraction of what i have spent on this hobby.

agreed totally!!!

I think it is ok to borrow. As far as I know, Courts is the only retailer that offers installment without credit cards. Companies like GE Money can lend you money legally too. Just don't borrow from this guy called Ah Long.

I understand that there are people who believe that the world will end in 2012... so if TS save for 3yrs to buy, then he might never touch a 7D.

Courts charge interest... thank you...

?? since you are ALREADY making money. it wouldn't take you too long to save up wad.

say do around 20events, should get you the cash.

However, if your event's frequency is low, and you need like 3 years to cover 20events. how is getting the 7D going to help you? just continue using the borrow one la. or get a cheaper cam. if you need 3 years to cover $2400, i dont think you'd need a 7D. prob a 500D or 50D is good enough. and by the end of 3 years, a newer model come out liao.

in conclusion, dont try to find excuse for yourself to spend money la. money hard to earn leh. havent earn enough, wanna spend future money liao. got $$ then buy, no $$ den dont buy. understand your own limits. playing with fire will get yourself burnt.

Status
Not open for further replies.