How much to pay for a second hand lens?

Just know the brand new price of the lens before buying.
Some sellers in the B&S are sometimes just trying their luck to make profit from it.

wow..i mean those lenses available brand new easily in stores..ppl are selling $20 more than brand new sets..like that also can meh?

eg..nikkor 35mm dx 1.8 2nd hand $350 when u can get a brand new at $326..

Brand new can still save u $24 for chicken rice..

I can still live with that, what I find amazing if they even try to add a line saying: "No low ballers please" :dunno:

I can still live with that, what I find amazing if they even try to add a line saying: "No low ballers please" :dunno:

No low ballers added just for the sake of adding. Sometimes they still sell it cheap.

Really depends on luck, few days ago my friend bought a GF1 with 20mm kit and a EVF for just $900. The seller bought on march 2009 and with unfill warranty but too bad invoice lost. The only defect is the GF1 tripod mount area with scratches. Worst part shutter count only 300+.:D

It also depends on the demand la. Recently cant find a new panny 20mm f1.7 in local shop and heard that japan selling BN for less than $600. But pple still buy sec hand at $550.

I just feel that there are a lot of sellers who are trying their luck.

Electronic do not hold their value.. all of us know here...

I, for one will not buy a used lens if the price is not significantly lesser.

Lens are mostly glass...

And they WILL outlast your DSLR.

Don't see why you should get away with paying "significantly lesser".

It is really just up to the seller to decide how much he/she wants to sell his/her lens for isn't it?

wow..i mean those lenses available brand new easily in stores..ppl are selling $20 more than brand new sets..like that also can meh?

haha, that is the prob when one did nt do their homework or just simply have the BBB virus on hand.. this is to the seller's advantage

but at the end of the day, both have to agreed upon the price, thats why they deal :bsmilie:

Which is why buying good/popular lenses are more worthwhile.... :bsmilie:

Maybe some people just don't mind as long as item in good condition and they are able save a couple of dollars...

I guess it is all due to buyers that are willing to pay the asking price requested by the seller..if there are no buyers to purchase the items at such a high price, I guess the prices will eventually drop....

As to why they are willing to meet the price...I have no clue..

2nd hand lens price is dictated by how much the buyer is willing to pay. Enough said...

how about look at this way, some lens hold its value, even you buy at that price for 2nd hand, you can probably sell at similar price without loosing much, however, does not apply to value of camera.

Canon 50mmf1.8 lens value for money (consider good and popular). Brand new for ~$130 but a lot at B&S for $110-$120. Some stated as brand new never use (warranty about 6-9mth)....selling for $120. Difference of ~$10 up to you;)

Consider the price and build (not even metal mount) does it hold it value?

Again...demand probably make the price high for a 2nd hand.

It is simply because high ballers cannot stand low ballers.

Buy the good ones ( limited in production and specialized single purpose lens) price will soar for sure... Just look at The price of Nikon 28mm f1.4 before afs 24mm f1.4 is announced..

I sold my ex 17.35f2.8 at the price I got it new 2 years ago.. :)

isn't that the high resale price everyone was talking about before they buy any equipment:bsmilie:

heh yes. there are so many of these around; I really feel sorry for buyers who never do research and pay through their nose. Not sure if the sellers genuinely are unaware of retail price outside or just trying their luck to get carrots to chop.