How much to clean lens?

Status
Not open for further replies.

darr

Mar 20, 2002
Hill View
www.ntu.edu.sg
Guess it's my turn. All the while I been lending lenses to those in need, last week when I was cleaning my equipment I found my most circulated lens having fungus on the element just behind the lens element, it looks like initial stage but I'm not sure how much it has eroded in.

The lens is a Canon 100-300 3.5-5.6 USM.

Any idea how much Camera Workshop or any other shop would charge for the cleaning? I had called Canon, they charge $82.40 just to service and clean, replacing parts is anotheir story entirely.

I also have a 135 2.8 SF which looked very cloudy inside, doesn't look like fungus, looks more like what one see when the lens is fogged due to temperature change. And also it seems to be misaligned. Anyone can shed some info how much to realign it?

Thanks
Darren

My friedn sent the lens for cleaning fungus few years ago, they charged $50. That was done by a camera shop. I guess you should get a better service when sending the Canon directly. It is worth the $80+ Canon would charge you. (however, somewhere I read that actually fungus would not really deteriate the pictures if you keep you aperture small (ie large F-numbers)

Originally posted by Astin
My friedn sent the lens for cleaning fungus few years ago, they charged $50. That was done by a camera shop. I guess you should get a better service when sending the Canon directly. It is worth the $80+ Canon would charge you. (however, somewhere I read that actually fungus would not really deteriate the pictures if you keep you aperture small (ie large F-numbers)

Hey thanks! my friend also told me should be $50. For the moment I not worried the fungus will spoil the picture since it's so near the focal plane, so definitely out of focus. What Im worried that over time, it will erode beyond the coating and into the glass, that's when it's too late to do anything....

prob sat i go down ask ask 1st....

Status
Not open for further replies.