my friend ask me to take photo for his wedding

how much should i charge him ?

mine got include print some photo etc and pass him the softcopy

[video=youtube;yzvPpd3-oPU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzvPpd3-oPU[/video]

on the wedding day itself only?

my friend ask me to take photo for his wedding

how much should i charge him ?

mine got include print some photo etc and pass him the softcopy

I charged my friend $3900. He was happy I gave him a discount.

If you are a professional photographer already, then just charge him same price. If you truly are good, he will still appreciate your help. Price = quality association is there for most people, you don't want to undercut yourself and make him lowball you. At the same time, if you provide quality, he will still be happy because he can easily chat with you during his wedding photoshoot while having quality photos taken

Sometimes shoot for friend is not the best thing... friendship at stake and easy to go wrong.

Friend might not be happy if you do not give discount. Friend might blame you if photos not up to his standard. You might get unhappy if friend pay you peanuts. You may get unhappy if friend or relatives make unreasonable demands on you. etc etc... thousand and one things to break your friendship...

So, if you are really confident, I mean, 100% confident that you can do this as well as the pros, then go ahead and do it. If not, I suggest you avoid doing this.

I charged my friend $3900. He was happy I gave him a discount.

If you are a professional photographer already, then just charge him same price. If you truly are good, he will still appreciate your help. Price = quality association is there for most people, you don't want to undercut yourself and make him lowball you. At the same time, if you provide quality, he will still be happy because he can easily chat with you during his wedding photoshoot while having quality photos taken

Sometimes shoot for friend is not the best thing... friendship at stake and easy to go wrong.

Friend might not be happy if you do not give discount. Friend might blame you if photos not up to his standard. You might get unhappy if friend pay you peanuts. You may get unhappy if friend or relatives make unreasonable demands on you. etc etc... thousand and one things to break your friendship...

So, if you are really confident, I mean, 100% confident that you can do this as well as the pros, then go ahead and do it. If not, I suggest you avoid doing this.
After check out TS's post history and flickr albums, I believe he has never done any wedding shoot before.

All I can say is his friend has very strong faith in his photography skills, or not sure what it takes to produce decent wedding photographs, or maybe their expectation is very low, or just looking for some super duper good deal.

and TS also demonstrate strong faith in his photography skills by posting this thread, so just give him a figure and that is all he need.

After check out TS's post history and flickr albums, I believe he has never done any wedding shoot before.

All I can say is his friend has very strong faith in his photography skills, or not sure what it takes to produce decent wedding photographs, or maybe their expectation is very low, or just looking for some super duper good deal.

and TS also demonstrate strong faith in his photography skills by posting this thread, so just give him a figure and that is all he need.

After seeing TS's flickr, if TS's current skill level is accurately represented in flickr, my advice to TS is.... do it for free. and best of luck.

Last edited:
After seeing TS's flickr, if TS's current skill level is accurately represented in flickr, my advice to TS is.... do it for free. and best of luck.
That is the main reason why wedding couples like to look for friends or friend of friends who happen to own a DSLR to shoot wedding isn't it?

For laughs:

Video 1

[video=youtube;XYLNphdGw_w]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYLNphdGw_w[/video]

Last edited:
Video 2

[video=youtube;coWT767Lvs0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coWT767Lvs0[/video]

Video 3

[video=youtube;5vG9j_6bO-M]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vG9j_6bO-M[/video]

anyway, here is a simple formula for someone who want to do some moonlighting, your hour rate is (2X of your hourly OT rate of your day job + equipment rental cost + 300% of the material cost).

lets take shooting a customary wedding day event for an example.

you probably shooting for 10-12 hours for the event, and spend another 6-8 hours sorting and post processing the photos, another 2-3 hours on discussion, email, research etc. so you spend 24 working hours but can only charge for 10. So it should around 2X to 2.5X
why need to rent equipment? because you probably don't own all the gears needed for the job, beside, you need to factor the usage of your camera, wear and tear, repair cost and replacement of gears, so just use rental cost of the full set gears as a benchmark.
why need charge 300% on material cost? that is bare minimum for compensating your time and efforts to produce the finish products, usually we charge even more, as the finish products represent our talents and crafts, it has to be the best, up to the packaging.

This is only good for you if you only shoot wedding once in a few months time, because your day job already paid for all the necessity and you just make some extra pocket money on your free time.
but if you shoot more then this, you need to charge even more, as you trade your free time, rest time, family time, time for leisure, study, exercise etc.

all these time are priceless, you can only understand these is when you lost it, and there is no amount of money you can buy any of them back.

Cut the poor fellow some slack.. He may not be a professional like you all here.. But hes quite decent.. You never know what is the situation.

TS - just pick a random low number since you are also a newbie and its a friends request who wants to save some money and puts his trust on you for his big day. Ask for couple of hundreds or maybe 500 and do a great job which you can show off for future ventures and earn bigger. This is just an ordinary guys POV, so do listen to these professionals also who have some valid points. Those videos shared by catchlights is brilliant and good learning.

All the best.

Advice often doesn't sound nice. We all started with friends' wedding. Me too, and it was free, plus I top up some stuff as gift, and like many others, that 'friend' from close friend become an ordinary friend who never contact again unless bump into during unrelated occasions. Some people lost that 'friend'. And it was after shooting professionally for 6 years later that I again took in friends as customers selectively, and it went well, because they knew my price and quality right from the start and also only for friends who don't really care about budget, and after shooting I usually throw in non-photography related wedding gifts. Do I need their business? Not really. Do they really die die wanna hire me? Not really too. It is with these kind of neutral situation that things are easier to work out. Because talk about money always hurt feelings, whether you know it or not or if people show it.

Recently I saw this quote from Ali Baba's Jack Ma, China's top rags-to-riches billionaire:

'When Selling to close friends and family, no matter how much you're selling to them, they will always feel you're earning their money, no matter how cheap you sell to them, they still wouldn't appreciate it.'
There will always be people who do not care about your Costs, Time, Effort, they rather let other people cheat them, allowing others to earn, then supporting someone they know. Cause in their heart, they will always be thinking, 'How much did he earn from me?' instead of "How much did he SAVE/MAKE for me?"
This is a classic example of a poor person's mentality!
How did the rich people become rich? One of the main reason is because they are willing to SUPPORT their associates business, taking care of one another's interests thus naturally they get back more.
Your Friends will in turn support you, thus the circle of wealth continues to grow and grow!
Simple Logic, you will start to get rich once you understand it.
Jack Ma on Sales: 'When doing Sales, the first people who will trust you will be Strangers, Friends will be shielding against you, fair-weather friends will distance from you. Family will look down upon you.'
The day you finally succeed, paying the bill for every get-together dinner, entertainment, you will realised: Everyone else is present except the Strangers.
Do you get the meaning of this?
We need to treat our dear Strangers better! And even more so to Friends who know what you are doing and yet still SUPPORT you!
Let us treat STRANGERS who buys from us better from today. They are your BEST customers!

If you really want to do it, I say do for free.

Reactions: kandinsky
Advice often doesn't sound nice. We all started with friends' wedding. Me too, and it was free, plus I top up some stuff as gift, and like many others, that 'friend' from close friend become an ordinary friend who never contact again unless bump into during unrelated occasions. Some people lost that 'friend'. And it was after shooting professionally for 6 years later that I again took in friends as customers selectively, and it went well, because they knew my price and quality right from the start and also only for friends who don't really care about budget, and after shooting I usually throw in non-photography related wedding gifts. Do I need their business? Not really. Do they really die die wanna hire me? Not really too. It is with these kind of neutral situation that things are easier to work out. Because talk about money always hurt feelings, whether you know it or not or if people show it.

Recently I saw this quote from Ali Baba's Jack Ma, China's top rags-to-riches billionaire:

'When Selling to close friends and family, no matter how much you're selling to them, they will always feel you're earning their money, no matter how cheap you sell to them, they still wouldn't appreciate it.'
There will always be people who do not care about your Costs, Time, Effort, they rather let other people cheat them, allowing others to earn, then supporting someone they know. Cause in their heart, they will always be thinking, 'How much did he earn from me?' instead of "How much did he SAVE/MAKE for me?"
This is a classic example of a poor person's mentality!
How did the rich people become rich? One of the main reason is because they are willing to SUPPORT their associates business, taking care of one another's interests thus naturally they get back more.
Your Friends will in turn support you, thus the circle of wealth continues to grow and grow!
Simple Logic, you will start to get rich once you understand it.
Jack Ma on Sales: 'When doing Sales, the first people who will trust you will be Strangers, Friends will be shielding against you, fair-weather friends will distance from you. Family will look down upon you.'
The day you finally succeed, paying the bill for every get-together dinner, entertainment, you will realised: Everyone else is present except the Strangers.
Do you get the meaning of this?
We need to treat our dear Strangers better! And even more so to Friends who know what you are doing and yet still SUPPORT you!
Let us treat STRANGERS who buys from us better from today. They are your BEST customers!

If you really want to do it, I say do for free.

Exactly my thoughts... that is why I said, do it for free. Then bride and groom can temper their expectations. As soon as money is involved, no matter how small the amount, there will be expectations. They will give you some ang pao money, that is their appreciation. Better than taking money then get complaints.

Reactions: sjackal
Exactly my thoughts... that is why I said, do it for free. Then bride and groom can temper their expectations. As soon as money is involved, no matter how small the amount, there will be expectations. They will give you some ang pao money, that is their appreciation. Better than taking money then get complaints.
Like I said.. You guys are professional and been there, done that. Thats why your input is utmost important. I was just feeling sad for the fellow and gave him another point of view. No offence to anyone.

Like I said.. You guys are professional and been there, done that. Thats why your input is utmost important. I was just feeling sad for the fellow and gave him another point of view. No offence to anyone.

No worries. None taken.