How Much Should I Charge?: Ep 207: Digital Photography 1 on 1

Tucksoon

Dec 15, 2003
[video=youtube;OZj16RmtFeg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZj16RmtFeg&feature=feedu[/video]

A great video from Adorama abeit some plugs but awesome nonetheless. Thank you for sharing.

The writer appears to be approaching from an accounting standpoint of pricing via measuring cost which is logical and sound. If more photogs both pro's and amateurs can do this the industry will be a better place for all.

Just to add; an observation of mine is that most people try to price their rates based on what they think they would pay if they are the client. Then their own cheapness creeps in, "oh that sounds expensive, nobody's gonna book me at that rates, I wouldnt myself" No, no! NO! Remember, creative work is not a commodity, it's not like buying a drink or plate of rice.

Your price should always be something that you could not afford if it is yourself. Then you will make progress. You should be marketing to clients that have more spending power than you and thus should not allow your own emotions limit your price. I guess a large part of the reason behind is that many amateurs and part timers are salaried employees and do not have the mindset of a full time self employed career photographer.

the standard reply from a lot of event managers is that they can get photographer B for much lower rate just that they prefer photographer A so if possible can go lower then photographer B rate?

In most cases, photographer B is a student with basic kit so really depends. There are photographers who do a few jobs per month yet earn the same or possibly more then those who do lots and lots of jobs per month. In this case depends how important the event is to the photographer and if the event manager recognize the skill of the photographer.

Myself, i`d rather be called for a job because i was the best at it rather and not because i was the cheapest in their contact list. By rejecting jobs, often the event manager will call back with better rates or will pay standard rates if you got make them look good or impressed their higher ups last time. So do not be afraid to say no to jobs that obviously are trying to cheapen your skills by treating it as a commodity.

Last edited: