How much should a new model charge?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i should start with TFCD, test shoots, etc, but how much is a "decent portfolio"?

how much have you done to start building up your portfolio would be what i'd ask you.

i should start with TFCD, test shoots, etc, but how much is a "decent portfolio"?

Id say 10-20 great shots. Definitely try out some TFCD and test shoots, but make sure to research the photographer well before hand, and definitely do not shoot with one if he doesnt show a portfolio and it would be great to have one of your parents around too. Can never be too careful.

Good luck! If im doing any TFCD or Test shoots in the near future I'll send you a link to my portfolio and you can see what you think.

:)

awesome. I've been asked by some photographers, I can sort of pick between who is good and who is amateur (not naming names though). thanks.

awesome. I've been asked by some photographers, I can sort of pick between who is good and who is amateur (not naming names though). thanks.

all the best. Looking forward to seeing new talent blossom.

If you are 14, need parental consent. Also make sure your parent or guardian is around at the shoot for your own safety.

y hurry for a pay model~ just try shooting on the events la, just like the 'Super Import Night' event... spend $10 only n get to shoot so many model's :bsmilie: plus can stay for the day start to end... somemore some event is FOC...

i mean try to go for event's shoot or look for TFCD to build up the skill 1st.. this is what i'm doing now.. :)

y hurry for a pay model~ just try shooting on the events la, just like the 'Super Import Night' event... spend $10 only n get to shoot so many model's :bsmilie: plus can stay for the day start to end... somemore some event is FOC...

i mean try to go for event's shoot or look for TFCD to build up the skill 1st.. this is what i'm doing now.. :)

Read again, she wants to be a model not shoot one.

First, you have to decide what kind of model you want to be. As a rule of thumb, a "decent" portfolio comprises of between 25 to 40 "spreads". A "spread" is 2 pages, which can contain 1 image each, or 1 image on 2 facing pages. Why 25-40? Anything under 25 is not "strong" enough and anything more than 40 will bore the client.

A standard industry size (regardless of region. If you intend to grow out of the usual local event type modeling, disregard this paragraph) is 9"x12". Meanwhile, the 8Rs and super 8Rs are not going to cut it. Of course, if you are just contend to have an "album" of pictures, disregard this paragraph.

Next, decide on what sort of portfolio you want. Different portfolio will get you different kind of jobs, and it is not uncommon for a model to have more than 2 books for different auditions. For example, if you are interested in commercial jobs (they pay the most per assignment after high fashion runway), you want to put images which are like advertisement. If you are interested to do editorial, than go for lifestyle kind of images. Regardless of "types", always includes some beauty shots (i.e. close ups of your face).

Next, finding a photographer is only 1/4 of the job. To have a successful photoshoot (at least to build your portfolio), you also need to book an MUA and a hairstylist. Depending on your looks, you might just be able to convince some to work with you on a TFP basis. Last but not least, you need a wardrobe stylist (which is sorely lacking in this forum). The wardrobe stylist is the one who puts all elements of clothing and accessories into a cohesive look/image. 90% of photographers here knows nothing about fashion.

To be paid or not to be paid? It all depends. If you are starting out, then opt for a TFP as I cannot see why a photog will be willing to pay you to shoot. Furthermore, if a photographer pays you to model for him/her, then he/she is not obligated to give you any images because "you are paid to model". So if you want to build a portfolio, going with TFP will be the most cost effective option.

Other legal issues: You are underage, regardless your potential as a model. As such, you are required by law to have a parent/legal guardian to transact on your behalf, particularly a model release. A model release is a document where you literally sign all your rights away, i.e. the photographer will have all rights to the images and if he decides to use your likeness to make a profit, you do not have a claim to that share of the profit, neither do you have a right to prohibit him/her to publish your image, with or without your permission. Of course, if you are paid, then it is natural that you sign a model release (that is what a photographer will pay you for, the future and/or possible use of your image for publicity and/or commercial gain. If it is a TFP/TFCD, it is not mandatory for you (in your case, your parent) to sign any release. You can, however, sign a release but limiting the photographer to use it for commercial purposes, but not as part of his portfolio, or publicity campaign.

I think I covered the basic essentials. If you have further question, feel free to PM me. Good Luck.

A standard industry size (regardless of region. If you intend to grow out of the usual local event type modeling, disregard this paragraph) is 9"x12". Meanwhile, the 8Rs and super 8Rs are not going to cut it. Of course, if you are just contend to have an "album" of pictures, disregard this paragraph.

Just a small query: 9x12 is a 4:3 aspect ratio. Most SLRs (including 35mm film) are on a 3:2 aspect ratio. Does that mean printing a crop for portfolio usage?

Just a small query: 9x12 is a 4:3 aspect ratio. Most SLRs (including 35mm film) are on a 3:2 aspect ratio. Does that mean printing a crop for portfolio usage?

Hi Caleb,

Unfortunately, yes. Therefore, if you are hired to produce a book for a model, you might ant to take that into consideration.

However, a pro model will end up working with a variety of format (from 35mm to LF), most of the images will end up cropped anyway.

I won't discuss the legality or applicability of model releases in Singapore, here, but on another point, there is no law mandating a parent/legal guardian to transact on your behalf. It is merely good legal sense for another party to request for an indemnity from the parent because of potential pitfalls in enforcing a contract against a minor but this is by no means, mandatory.

Other legal issues: You are underage, regardless your potential as a model. As such, you are required by law to have a parent/legal guardian to transact on your behalf, particularly a model release.

I won't discuss the legality or applicability of model releases in Singapore, here, but on another point, there is no law mandating a parent/legal guardian to transact on your behalf. It is merely good legal sense for another party to request for an indemnity from the parent because of potential pitfalls in enforcing a contract against a minor but this is by no means, mandatory.

Hi Vince,

That why it is mandatory because if you are under 18, your contract is not enforceable. Look at every contract and/or application form you have come across, if you are under 18, you NEED a parent or legal guardian to transact on our behalf.

And yes, a model release IS applicable in Singapore because it is binding. It may not be widely practiced (maybe because there is not as much lawsuits pertaining to usage of images), but it is applicable.

Best.

When I say mandatory, it means laws that prescribe that if you don't do a certain something, you are guilty of a criminal offence. Not having an indemnity signed by a parent is not a criminal offence. Hence there is nothing mandatory. It is just that it is legally advisable to do so and this is from the viewpoint of the other party, not the model.

As an illustration, it is mandatory and the law requires that a driver's license is required before someone can drive a vehicle on the road. Failure to do so discloses a criminal offence.

It is not mandatory for a licensee to require that a licensor give an warranty/indemnity that the licensor is the author and owner of the subject of the license, but it is legally advisable for the licensee to do so as he wants assurance that the licensor owns the subject in question.

In any case, even if we are talking about "legally advisable", it is from the viewpoint of the other part, and not the model. Unlike your earlier statement says, the model is not required by law to have her parents sign, and in fact, she probably wouldn't care less if this is done - the onus is on the other party to insist on it.

Since you decided to discuss model releases as well, yes it can be binding (against the model) if it is signed. However, if a model release is not signed, it is highly doubtful whether the model can make out a cause of action against the photographer.

Hence, a model release is merely a prudent step (and perhaps for the overly-kiasu photographer), but it is not mandatory, or even legally advisable. If a model decides to charge more for signing a release, the photographer can probably forego the extra expense without incurring significant legal exposure.

Hi Vince,

That why it is mandatory because if you are under 18, your contract is not enforceable. Look at every contract and/or application form you have come across, if you are under 18, you NEED a parent or legal guardian to transact on our behalf.

And yes, a model release IS applicable in Singapore because it is binding. It may not be widely practiced (maybe because there is not as much lawsuits pertaining to usage of images), but it is applicable.

Best.

When I say mandatory, it means laws that prescribe that if you don't do a certain something, you are guilty of a criminal offence. Not having an indemnity signed by a parent is not a criminal offence. Hence there is nothing mandatory. It is just that it is legally advisable to do so and this is from the viewpoint of the other party, not the model.

As an illustration, it is mandatory and the law requires that a driver's license is required before someone can drive a vehicle on the road. Failure to do so discloses a criminal offence.

It is not mandatory for a licensee to require that a licensor give an warranty/indemnity that the licensor is the author and owner of the subject of the license, but it is legally advisable for the licensee to do so as he wants assurance that the licensor owns the subject in question.

In any case, even if we are talking about "legally advisable", it is from the viewpoint of the other part, and not the model. Unlike your earlier statement says, the model is not required by law to have her parents sign, and in fact, she probably wouldn't care less if this is done - the onus is on the other party to insist on it.

Since you decided to discuss model releases as well, yes it can be binding (against the model) if it is signed. However, if a model release is not signed, it is highly doubtful whether the model can make out a cause of action against the photographer.

Hence, a model release is merely a prudent step (and perhaps for the overly-kiasu photographer), but it is not mandatory, or even legally advisable. If a model decides to charge more for signing a release, the photographer can probably forego the extra expense without incurring significant legal exposure.

Vince, you are just engaging in a futile exercise in semantics here. If you are an underage model, no agency or photographer will transact with you without paperwork and it is not legally binding to perform any paper work with a minor. So its either you do not get any work done, or you if you want to, get a legal guardian or a parent to represent you, hence "mandatory", meaning you must do it or it is not recognizable by law, and not that if you do not do it, it is a criminal offence.

Heheh, actually again, you may be wrong. The bigger and better advised agencies or photographers will know these things, however the smaller agencies or photographers may not know these things. You know this because obviously you're more knowledgeable, but I'll bet that a lot of photographers or agencies are not as knowledgeable as you are. Heck, we see lots of misconceptions on legal issues surrounding photography every so often on this forum, including things like security guards and buildings, model releases and what not.

Hence it is still not entirely accurate to say that the model needs to bear the onus of this, regardless of whether the other party asks for it. If I was the model, I will not offer to have an indemnity from the parent unless the deal depends on it.

In commercial negotiations prior to contracting, each party will try to get away with as much as possible, and not to make any concessions unless it is required. This is why lawyers still have jobs advising each side during such pre-contractual negotiations.

Of course, now that this thread is here, photographers who read it will be better advised to make sure to get an indemnity from the parent in such cases :). This is the beauty of a forum - to share knowledge and information, especially those which benefit is members :)

Vince, you are just engaging in a futile exercise in semantics here. If you are an underage model, no agency or photographer will transact with you without paperwork and it is not legally binding to perform any paper work with a minor. So its either you do not get any work done, or you if you want to, get a legal guardian or a parent to represent you, hence "mandatory", meaning you must do it or it is not recognizable by law, and not that if you do not do it, it is a criminal offence.

Status
Not open for further replies.