how much ram is recommended?

Status
Not open for further replies.
just to maybe share on the new specs... (of my new peecee)

C2D E6600
ASUS P5NSLi
4GB Kingston Ram
200 GB Hdd
Xpertvision 7900GS X2

:bsmilie:

burned a hole in my pocket. $2800 including casing, monitor, and keyboard and mouse. :bsmilie:

50 levels of undo might not take that much RAM, but if you use many layers (and I do advocate using more layers rather than more undo states for more flexibility and safety) than you would use up quite abit of RAM easily...

actually, laptops tend to be slower also because they run with lower memory and bus settings...but more memory does show up in more performance...might not be a directly proportional increase of performance but it is still there...and certainly you can't increase performance by changing the processor (well not unless you want to dig through the inards) so a memory upgrade would be the most feasible way to increase performance short of a new laptop...

as for Vista, which depending on which version you get allows for different amounts of memory, I would probably switch off all the bells and whistles cause I would mainly use Photoshop and webbrowser only...incidentally, my XP looks like Win98...:)

8 megapixel photo, 16bit treatement = 16mb (8x2bytes)in memory
Assuming 20 layers, that's 320mb (16x20) in memory.
Assuming 50 undos, that's 800mb (50X16) in memory.

XP starts stuffing memory to the hdd once you pass the 700/800 limit. Regardless of Ram that you have. It's inherent. for 90% of the users, they'll never pass 500mb usage anyway, so in that case Ram is optimised. Just like the XP hdd indexing feature, great in concept, screwed up in real life.

The CS 3gb limit is more for Mac users. The OS didn't do such "great" memory optimization. There are many reasons many industrial pros use Macs to do CS. PS just works better with a Mac.

Vista => yeah I forgot about the different versions, I'm kinda used to the thought of using Ultimate.

Some SLS shops have actually arrived at Funan -- Fuwell is one of them, Laser is another. I find their prices not too bad, fairly competitive with the guys at SLS (in fact Fuwell@Funan has the same pricelist as their branches at SLS); but at Funan it's a much more conducive environment than Sim Lim.

Besides, there's John 3:16 nearby :)

Hmmmm I may be mistaken, but I thought Fuwell and Laser expanded from Funan to SLS..

8 megapixel photo, 16bit treatement = 16mb (8x2bytes)in memory
Assuming 20 layers, that's 320mb (16x20) in memory.
Assuming 50 undos, that's 800mb (50X16) in memory.
but you forgot to factor in that each layer added also adds to load of each undo...say 20 layer x 25 undo according to above is 8000mb (16x20x25)...although that is quite drastic and alot of my layers are adjustment layers so usually not so bad as...:)

XP starts stuffing memory to the hdd once you pass the 700/800 limit. Regardless of Ram that you have. It's inherent. for 90% of the users, they'll never pass 500mb usage anyway, so in that case Ram is optimised. Just like the XP hdd indexing feature, great in concept, screwed up in real life.

The CS 3gb limit is more for Mac users. The OS didn't do such "great" memory optimization. There are many reasons many industrial pros use Macs to do CS. PS just works better with a Mac.
funny thing is, I did some timings of PS operations on XP to justify RAM upgrade from 1GB to 2GB for my boss and got pretty good reductions in time...system at the time was only running PS, no antivirus, no MSN, no outlook...:think:

Vista => yeah I forgot about the different versions, I'm kinda used to the thought of using Ultimate.
actually, vista ultimate can access up to 128GB of RAM...any motherboards can pack that much :think: home = 4GB, home premium = 16GB, business, enterprise, ultimate = 128GB...of course PS CS3 = 4GB :(

You would get better performance by using x2 HDD instead if its for PS.
:thumbsup:

I have found Fuwell pretty good so far...also they have 30 day 1 to 1 exchange policy instead of the usual 1 week :thumbsup:

cybermind's a good shop as well...these 2 shops might not have the lowest prices but they are trustworthy :)

Status
Not open for further replies.