how much ram is recommended?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it true window xp recognised max of 3gb rams? I have 4gb rams installed but i could not figure what happen to 1 gb.
what version of windows are you using? iirc professional version is able to utilise at least 4GB of ram... newer one sld be higher (im a bit outdated when it comes to this)

what version of windows are you using? iirc professional version is able to utilise at least 4GB of ram... newer one sld be higher (im a bit outdated when it comes to this)

So do I..I think window should support at least 4G..Let me go to my company and check again how many G they are using..Er...

For the person could not get the last 1G Ram,check your RAM lor..does it properly sloted in? Try to swap the ram at various slot to see ..may be your ram is at fault...

Is it true window xp recognised max of 3gb rams? I have 4gb rams installed but i could not figure what happen to 1 gb.

it has something to do with BIOS.

a BIOS upgrade might just work fine.

also, note the max amount of BANKS your motherboard could recognize. if say you use 4x double sided memory (4x2 = 8 banks) , some boards might not work, due to the limitations on the board itself. =)

i am using dell m1210 notebook with 2GB RAM, T7200 2GHz and GeForce 7400 Go and I have no issue running both CS2 and DxO at the same time. No trashing at all. May be u need to clean those bloated software running background and keep it below 300MB RAM when u run winxp along.

actually i feel that a decent 2.4 and above northwood processor with 2gb ram and a 6600gt will perform ok...:D

Thanks for your advice..:) ..I am using both laptop and desktop but I use laptop more often. I hate all the rubbish softwares preinstalled on my laptop and remove quite alot liao, only start when I need them. It's actually slow if I run batch process all images (sharpening,framing, resized,add signatures)..er may be I'm too demanding..It take about 30min to process about 2000 images.

hmmmm RAM is not everything.
I've shown before, editing 1 image with 50 levels of undo won't take you more than 500mb of ram before.

With XP, 1gb of ram is more than enough. The slow speed is because of your lack of processor power in your laptop, as well as the inherent slower backbone. You won't notice ANY improvement even if you have 1 gb of ram, or 2 gb.
Nevermind that XP can't effectively use more than 1gb of ram anyway (Most consumers don't believe when I tell them XP's way of handling more than 1 gb of ram = put everything to hdd as long as you use more than 700mb of ram).

With Vista it's a whole different ballgame. It's able to address and make use of full 4gb of ram. It's OS takes up a huge chunk of memory anyway (500mb or so) and I'm kinda struggling with 2gb of ram. Load up MSN, and other basic software, 1gb gone.. Load up photoshop, do intensive photoshop with 50 levels of undo (I used to have 100, but it ate up alot more ram than i'd have..) that's 1.5gb of ram gone..

o_O I find Vista a pain in the ass, the graphical interface is funky but slowing everything down..

hmmmm RAM is not everything.
I've shown before, editing 1 image with 50 levels of undo won't take you more than 500mb of ram before.
50 levels of undo might not take that much RAM, but if you use many layers (and I do advocate using more layers rather than more undo states for more flexibility and safety) than you would use up quite abit of RAM easily...

actually, laptops tend to be slower also because they run with lower memory and bus settings...but more memory does show up in more performance...might not be a directly proportional increase of performance but it is still there...and certainly you can't increase performance by changing the processor (well not unless you want to dig through the inards) so a memory upgrade would be the most feasible way to increase performance short of a new laptop...

as for Vista, which depending on which version you get allows for different amounts of memory, I would probably switch off all the bells and whistles cause I would mainly use Photoshop and webbrowser only...incidentally, my XP looks like Win98...:)

hi, interesting thread...I am in the market for a new PC too... any more feedback/comments about Vista? Or I shall just go for XP?

Do you guys custom make your PCs or buy branded systems?

hi, interesting thread...I am in the market for a new PC too... any more feedback/comments about Vista? Or I shall just go for XP?

Do you guys custom make your PCs or buy branded systems?

I was at Sim Lim this evening and enquire for a standard custom make PC. It is about $900.
quoted by one shop.

went to F-U-Well..;..i stood by the counter, salesman ask me to wait for him to pack his box by the window. He totally bor-chap me as a customer standing in front of him, still slowly taking and putting boxes at the window, and treated me as Invisible, ignoring me still standing waiting for him, for a total of silent 5 MINUTES. I decided to walk out, he din even bother to serve and let me go. His colleague serve 2 india customer..oso a "Not bother and unhappy" face... haiz... so i got no price and wont buy from them for sure.

I was at Sim Lim this evening and enquire for a standard custom make PC. It is about $900.
quoted by one shop.

went to F-U-Well..;..i stood by the counter, salesman ask me to wait for him to pack his box by the window. He totally bor-chap me as a customer standing in front of him, still slowly taking and putting boxes at the window, and treated me as Invisible, ignoring me still standing waiting for him, for a total of silent 5 MINUTES. I decided to walk out, he din even bother to serve and let me go. His colleague serve 2 india customer..oso a "Not bother and unhappy" face... haiz... so i got no price and wont buy from them for sure.
fuwell price ain't the lowest, but my experience with them are pretty present... got my custom PC and LCD from them.

quoted by one shop.

so bad..agree with u sometimes somes shop give bad service..haiz..need to educate them to learn about customer satisfaction..today i had same thing but with a foodstore..i was about to fain before they remember to bring me my mee..haiz..

so bad..agree with u sometimes somes shop give bad service..haiz..need to educate them to learn about customer satisfaction..today i had same thing but with a foodstore..i was about to fain before they remember to bring me my mee..haiz..

yours is forget...Mine is standing in front of him, he treats me invisible, slowly display boxes at the window, i stood there waiting and watch him display window. Wonder am i a customer at that moment?

The first shop was very patient and good...quote me less than $900 and ask me questions so that he get the right configurations for my custom PC. I think I will get from them Cybermind...:) :thumbsup:

yours is forget...Mine is standing in front of him, he treats me invisible, slowly display boxes at the window, i stood there waiting and watch him display window. Wonder am i a customer at that moment?

Yeah, I understand how do you feel...Relax a little bit lah my dear friend..They don't care, neither we are..Think about them ah make us angry..never mind..find some good shop to buy lor...forget them lah..Hope you get a good comp at Sim Lim..Personally, I still perfer SL for Comp stuff...

hehe...oki...will be checking for the spec and post here for everyone's benefit.

Yeah..smile...:D..waiting for your configuration and price..:D..go go brother..

Some SLS shops have actually arrived at Funan -- Fuwell is one of them, Laser is another. I find their prices not too bad, fairly competitive with the guys at SLS (in fact Fuwell@Funan has the same pricelist as their branches at SLS); but at Funan it's a much more conducive environment than Sim Lim.

Besides, there's John 3:16 nearby :)

Status
Not open for further replies.