How much hdd space do you currently have?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reportage

Nov 24, 2008
a7804916.jpg

still like not enough.:sweat:

is that 900GB or 500Gb? HAHA! I got a 500GB Free Agent Go by Seagate. I hope it will not break down

How many of such casings do you want to pile up? Where is the redundancy of one disk dies?
Try something like this: http://www.buffalotech.com/products/network-storage/terastation/terastation-duo/
But of course, this doesn't come for the price of those USB discs. Define the value of your data first, then you know what you need to spend.

1x 80GB for WinXP and stuff.
1x 320GB for Misc storage
1x 500GB for Photo storage
1x 500GB for Video storage
1x 160GB External HDD - backup
1x 1TB External HDD - more backup
1x 250GB 2.5'' Portable HDD.

May be needing another 1TB soon...... :sweat:

How many of such casings do you want to pile up? Where is the redundancy of one disk dies?
Try something like this: http://www.buffalotech.com/products/network-storage/terastation/terastation-duo/
But of course, this doesn't come for the price of those USB discs. Define the value of your data first, then you know what you need to spend.
Planning to get a Buffalo this coming IT fair. For redundancy i keep a duplicate copy of important files stored on taiyo yuden media in a safe place. Am thinking having a tape drive at home for backup would be overkill.

is that 900GB or 500Gb? HAHA! I got a 500GB Free Agent Go by Seagate. I hope it will not break down
Hope you got the newer Seagate model, the original freeagent one for desktop i had went kaput. Opened up the drive and fortunately the hdd and data was okay. Must have been a casing design flaw somewhere.

Last edited:
1x 80GB for WinXP and stuff.
1x 320GB for Misc storage
1x 500GB for Photo storage
1x 500GB for Video storage
1x 160GB External HDD - backup
1x 1TB External HDD - more backup
1x 250GB 2.5'' Portable HDD.

May be needing another 1TB soon...... :sweat:
I dont recommend placing important data in desktop even if using good pc power supply.

here is the hdd in my pc,
03494860.jpg

Just about everything else is external or back up to dvd.

I dont recommend placing important data in desktop even if using good pc power supply.

here is the hdd in my pc,
03494860.jpg

Just about everything else is external or back up to dvd.

Have been using this much HDD for years..... Using a 650Watt TruePower power unit.... :bsmilie:

What about if the Buffalo kaputed say 2 to 3 years down the road? Will there any exact replacement? If not can the disk be brought over to a new chassis? :think:

Though not doing professional work, but losing all the photos taken by far are as well unacceptable to me. So, do backup your data well!

Here's the disks I use.

1. For daily transferring and editing: A Western Digital 'My Book'. USB/firewire connected, dual 500GB SATA harddisks with RAID0/1 configuration available. Definitely configured to Raid 1 for data security.

2. For photos backup: A Maxtor 500GB external harddisk. Solely to backup from 1, normally run synchronization once a week or biweekly.

3. Store the 2 disks possibly in 2 different locations, like one home, one office...

At least sufficient for me for now, before the 500GB runs out. 200GB used already. :S

P.S. I personally really like the WD My Book. Those data racks providing network access are far too advance for casual use. What we all really need is a secured and usb connected external drive.

Wha piang, if u scared, send the HDDs daily to Cisco for storage loh. Then get 40 more external HDDs so that your bkup cycles are more than a month. Then when comes to D.R, not much to worry. HAHAHAHHAHA......Suggestion, incremental, differentiate, full bkup schedules loh.

A couple of thumb drives, one pc internal, one laptop internal, one portable. Total about 520GB.

What about if the Buffalo kaputed say 2 to 3 years down the road? Will there any exact replacement? If not can the disk be brought over to a new chassis? :think:

That depends on the nature of defect and the way the RAID1 is created.
If a single disk gets spoiled you just replace with a newer one of the same size and the array will be rebuilt. AFAIK: these systems run on a Linux kernel and create a software-based RAID. This means: if the controller dies (the Buffalo box) you can mount the disks into any other Linux system and retrieve the data. Don't try with Winsux, too stupid for such tasks.
There are already Buffalo systems with more bays. If you want to migrate you can either copy the data via network or you try mounting the disks to the newer unit and read the data from there. As long as there is a penguin inside there's hope to have your data safe :)

For mac users, is usb external hd adequate?
Firewire is definitely faster but 1tb usb hd is so much cheaper than 320 or 500gb firewire 800 hd.

On a similarnote regarding external hd, what is your favourite brand?
WesternD
freecom
lacie
samsung
fujitsu
hitachi
seagate
iomega

Mine's WD 160GB inside laptop, 160GB Seagate FreeAgent Go portable external and 300GB Seagate 3.5" external. Soon, might be getting a 500GB or 720GB portable external.

Status
Not open for further replies.