How Much Have You Spent on your Equipment?

How Much Have You Spent on your Equipment?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Paul_Yeo said:
actually rather than spending more $$$ on equipment, (unless real needs), why not spend $$$ on courses, workshops, books, development of films, etc to improve skills right?

y bother about how pp spend their $$ ?

just spend it the way u deem fit lor. :)

Paul_Yeo said:
actually rather than spending more $$$ on equipment, (unless real needs), why not spend $$$ on courses, workshops, books, development of films, etc to improve skills right?

Hehe.... :bsmilie: Totally agrees. Remember u r a photog, not a lens or equipment collector.

Paul_Yeo said:

I agree :bsmilie:

Paul_Yeo said:

Very simple answer.....

Because everyone thinks they are good enough. No need all those that you mentioned. Again all this ego problem with who has the best equipments. Going for meet ups and gathering are nothing but showing their latest gadgets. It use to be a gathering of photographers who brings their photos to share and learn.

NOW? It's just "waH 70-200VR". "WaH D2X".....
"WAh.....u gaffer tape your D70".....wah wah wah.......

When I just started photography, I buy books like crazy and read them. Apply them and ask those photography masters to comment. After that I when for the most important course, the BASIC/FOUNDATION Photography.

The most important part in photography is the comments given by experience and reliable photographers who work for a living in photography.

Pro Image said:
Very simple answer.....

Because everyone thinks they are good enough. No need all those that you mentioned. Again all this ego problem with who has the best equipments. Going for meet ups and gathering are nothing but showing their latest gadgets. It use to be a gathering of photographers who brings their photos to share and learn.

When I just started photography, I buy books like crazy and read them. Apply them and ask those photography masters to comment. After that I when for the most important course, the BASIC/FOUNDATION Photography.

The most important part in photography is the comments given by experience and reliable photographers who work for a living in photography.

Totally agreed. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Pro Image said:
Very simple answer.....

True! It seems that people nowadays are more obsessed with latest expensive equipment.

... but huge setup really has the impact and image of pro ... at least to me...when I saw guy with expensive camera and setup at wedding, i felt small with my little D70 :embrass:

Paul_Yeo said:
True! It seems that people nowadays are more obsessed with latest expensive equipment.

... but huge setup really has the impact and image of pro ... at least to me...when I saw guy with expensive camera and setup at wedding, i felt small with my little D70 :embrass:

Not true lar bro.....

Do you prefer to use a D2X and photos turn out average or have your D70 and churn out fantastic results? Which would you choose?

Looking like a pro does not mean he/she is a pro. If you are so frighten/intimidated by a them, then you better quit photography. Great masters churn out beautiful artistic results with normal cameras. I have attended weddings myself and seen someone using a Canon 1D MkII with a couple of L lenses. My friend actually wanted me to shoot for his wedding but I had another job during that day.

Guess what, he was paid $1,000 to get all the gems shots but he did not. My friend was so hopping mad as 50% of the shots turn out underexpose. His wife was so upset that she was loss with words. The photographer tried to change the brighness of the photos but it was so bad that the highlights and shadow details were lost. At the end, he apologise for his mistakes but my friend still paid him a token of appreciation, $300.00.

I know one of my friend who still uses a FM2 with MD-12, a 20mm, 50mm and 85mm only to shoot actual day wedding. And guess what, he is being paid a minimum sum of $1,200-1,500 per wedding. Some of his client asked him what system he use. He just say it a manual camera. At first many have doubt but after looking at his samples, they were astonish what he can do. It's not that he is lousy in using a autofocus camera or a digital but he does not see the need too at the moment. Never failed to deliver.

So I am sure you know the moral of the story. This is also not to target Canon users as I respect all of them. As I mentioned, it's the person who holds the camera, not the fanciful equipments.

How fast do you need to focus? Unless you are talking about sports photography, then maybe a higher frame count camera is needed to get just one nice shot. You can make someone to shame if you can churn out beautiful results thru a budget camera like yours.

As I said many times, camera is just a recording tool. If I have the money, I will prefer to spend on good optics rather than a fanciful camera body. Even optics also you do not really need the top of the range. As long as it's has good contrast, then it's well spend.

Do you know the only function I use is Manual mode. Sometimes i wish the camera manufacturer will just put out a dial mode of only M mode. Hehe....of course sure kena bombard by consumers!

I have seen results coming out from a Canon 300D from some of our members. And it is so much better than those who use a more ex range of cameras.

Again, it's you who control the situation, not your expensive tools.

Thanks for the remarks
enouraging! :)
Will surely work hard on my little camera :cool:

Equipment plays an equivalent part in photography. How much you spent is not important, what's important is you understand what it can do and what it cannot do and over come it.

People might say that meet ups are just to show off latest gadgets and hao lian about it. I seriously won't know. I know I learned things by just talking also. I'm not that rich to afford books, nor to go for photography lessons all because I'm not rich. And neither do I like to be taught in classrooms, I prefer to go for hands on, learning from my mistakes is probably the best gift I got as what I learned always gets remembered. People's comments on my images also gets remembered.

Posting them on the forums has guided me along, probably I can be better, through courses or through shooting more I won't know. Talking to other people, sharing ideas without being stingy has benefitted many of others and especially myself. Who would do all these? Most would just want you to go for courses and sell themselves.

I'm just fortunate to have good masters teaching me and guiding me but sadly, oh well my images still turn out like sh!t. Photographer's (my) fault. ;)

Like Ian says, photograhpy needs a talent, I probably have none. But a professional photographer doesn't mean he/she has a talent. Just luck. How many churn out good images?

Being fascinated with new equipment, new technology is nothing to be ashamed or despised on, it's just human. Contentment still starts with heart.

I do agree fully that the equipment only helps so much, but the camera only take the images, the photographer is the one that captures the moment. Think about it.

As and when you outgrow your equipment, you'll need to upgrade, go for better glasses etc.

Using a $1000 camera to make a $10K profit for client is worth applausing, but is it justifiable? I leave it to you to think about it. No doubt small cheap cameras can take good pictures, but equipment will help to take BETTER pictures.

Try shooting birds with a 24-120VR and try it with a 500 f/4, tell me if there is a difference. :)

Small correction: Small cheap camera can take good pictures, expansive equipment can only make it easier to take that good picture. Only with good skills will the great picture surface.

Compairision should be between apples and apples. Like 500mm F4 and a 500mm F8.

Paul_Yeo said:
Thanks for the remarks
enouraging! :)
Will surely work hard on my little camera :cool:

No prob bro.......that is one way to learn and be bold about it.

You little camera can do plenty of wonders. Unless you SPECIALIZED in shooting BIRDS.....then a 500mm f4 will be needed. Other than that, a normal wide angle 20mm to about 200mm will be more than enough.

Every photographer specialized in certain areas in photography. Shooting birds is a very specialized area in photography. If you have the skills, then your 500mm will be well spend.

Photography itself is a very specialized job. We will go into certain areas which we think are interested in. I am able to shoot anything my client throws at me, including birds. MOST of the jobs we do, DO NOT NEED a 500mm to shoot.

If I really need to shoot bird, then I will borrow a 500mm(it's about SGD$12,000 plus to buy a new one) rather than spending that amount of money just to shoot for a job. Another alternative is give the job to someone who specialized in this area.

I specialized in shooting Fashion layouts and Product shoots. Most of the photography jobs do not need fanciful optics to get your work done. I for one do not need a 500mm to shoot my fashion shoots as my studio would not allowed me too. Even when you are outdoor, you need a radio walkie talkie to communicate with the model when you use a 500mm!!!! When you actually buy a 500mm, it shows that you have what it takes to shoot something special like sports or shooting nature, like birds.

Ask any professional on what lens they own. See how many actually own a 500mm f4.....LOL. Most pros wouldn't even think about using a 35mm as they basically use it for pre shoot. Most of us use Medium Format to shoot as the quality on 35mm is still not up to par when shooting most jobs in commercial sector for enlargement purposes.

Only fast pace photography like Actual Wedding Day and Sports Photojournalism need specialized equipments which by then your money is worth spending as you charge your client for it.

Anyway, I have done so many jobs and so far none of them require a 500mm f4.

ortega said:
Small correction: Small cheap camera can take good pictures, expansive equipment can only make it easier to take that good picture. Only with good skills will the great picture surface.

Compairision should be between apples and apples. Like 500mm F4 and a 500mm F8.

Yes sir! That's right! Spot on bro!!!!!

So when going for kopi?

Pro Image said:
I have attended weddings myself and seen someone using a Canon 1D MkII with a couple of L lenses.

Guess what, he was paid $1,000 to get all the gems shots but he did not. My friend was so hopping mad as 50% of the shots turn out underexpose. His wife was so upset that she was loss with words. The photographer tried to change the brighness of the photos but it was so bad that the highlights and shadow details were lost.

Wow, can command a 1K job, really win already. Even if underexposed by 1 stop it'd be very much save-able (may i add easily) under not extreme lighting. If such a very fundamental thing like exposure cannot nail, then how to nail colour and finally composition and soul?

But just wondering, shouldn't be alarm bells be ringing if your friend has looked through his portfolio?

2100 said:
Wow, can command a 1K job, really win already. Even if underexposed by 1 stop it'd be very much save-able (may i add easily) under not extreme lighting. If such a very fundamental thing like exposure cannot nail, then how to nail colour and finally composition and soul?

But just wondering, shouldn't be alarm bells be ringing if your friend has looked through his portfolio?

You see, sometimes some photographer find different ways to conduct their business. Some will resort to all sorts of methods, including taking other people's work to show to secure the deal. i have seen those who did it before(some of my lady friends will bring me along if I do not have the time to do shoot for them) but I did not see the photographer's work he hired until that day. They told the one they saw was a world of a differance compared to the one he delivered.

There was another thread which was deleted as well, where I gave some pointers about how not only to secure jobs but to get a better paid jobs. Also tips on looking out for genuine photographers and those who have no experience. In the beginning the couple was looking to pay $600 for a Actual Wedding Day shoot. By the end of the day, the nick call wainism educate the couple about the market rates and so on. He did mentioned the couple was willing to engage and pay the photographer $1000 but it's always up to the photographer to closed the deal on how good his PR skills are.

Don't forget at the end of the day, he did not do his job well. By right my friend did not want to pay him a single cent. As a kind gesture, my friend still pay him $300 as a token of appreciation. I am not sure whether you manage to read one of the thread which has been taken out. The nick call ParkerT, where he was engaged to shoot a wedding but all turn out haywire after delivering the photos.

Plus my friend will NEVER recommend him to anyone else. He said even if I am not a photographer, he rather recommend someone else.

Hope this clear some photographer's doubt on closing the deal and getting better pay check. Not some "kacang puteh" pay. You see, there are people who complains that they are not rich and cannot buy BETTER equipments. Some will blame their work not good enough because they are not having the latest equipments or the equipments are not good enough. So don't complain you are charging a job that is way below the market rates.

If investing some expensive equipment, making full use of it and churning nice results then your equipment is welled spend. If you think buying expensive equipment will get you good results, I think it's time to evaluate yourself again what when wrong. Like ortega has pointed out, getting the latest equipments will only make it MORE CONVENIENT, not BETTER.

Of course I cannot stop anyone from getting the best and most expensive equipment as some of them can really afford it. Some just love it and love to hold heavy and long lenses. Why? I dunno.........hehe!

Aiya.....the story just go on and on and on.........For me I am just giving some tips on some members in CS who really love photography and should make full use of your SKILLS as I do see plenty of raw talents in all aspect of photography. I will not name who but some are exceptionally good. Just need to brush up and fine tune.

Some can afford Ferraris but no experience in making the best out of a powerful machine. Some can only afford a Subaru WRX but made it look and feel like you are inside a Ferrari.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
chanced upon this thread...
really true what pro image have said.

at the end of the day, the equipments is just to help out. :D

~Arcanic~ said:
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
chanced upon this thread...
really true what pro image have said.

at the end of the day, the equipments is just to help out. :D

This is just based from my own experience that i have encountered. As some of use who are experience in this field have pointed out about your skills vs equipment you own.

For example....how many times do you really shoot birds? Expensive and reliable equipment maybe important in our field but I for one will make sure it justify my money spend. Hehe.......

Although I do not have a 500mm lens to shoot a bird but I will still try my best to either borrow one or just give the job to someone else. The thing about photography is that there are many areas you can specialized in. Shooting bird is one of them. If my kind of jobs requires me to shoot bird most of the time, I will need to invest a 500mm which is about $12,000 plus.

As for me, I specialized in Portrait and Fashion shoots. Most of the time I use a 50mm, 85mm and sometimes up to 200mm to shoot. When I look at the number of times I use the 85mm, I knew I did not need to go too long or too wide to shoot a human figure.

Another area I specialized is Studio Still Life/Product. A macro lens is essential for product shoot as sometimes you can to go closer to your object. So either a Nikon 105mm, Sigma 105mm or a Tokina 90mm macro or a Nikon 28-105mm macro is 1:2 is good enough to executed any product shots.

So in order to know what you want to do, ask yourself what interest you most. If you think you are a nature lover, then go for a long telephoto. If you are a landscape person, well a wide angle will be good to enough. If you love to shoot buildings, then a 4X5 camera maybe useful to you. So it's always best to know what you want first. Not just buy and buy and keep on buying but of course this does not stop others from buying and selling and buying again and selling again.....hehe! :bsmilie:

There is nothing wrong affording better equipment if possible, much agree with Pro Image views. Just look at our fellow CSer Eikin's pics and guess what cam he's using,..his pics can easily embarrass those with highend equipment and could'nt shoot for nuts....

Sjourn said:
There is nothing wrong affording better equipment if possible, much agree with Pro Image views. Just look at our fellow CSer Eikin's pics and guess what cam he's using,..his pics can easily embarrass those with highend equipment and could'nt shoot for nuts....

Hehe.......you already said "if possible". Well I am one of them lei......if I can afford. Haha...... :bsmilie:

Pro Image said:
Hehe.......you already said "if possible". Well I am one of them lei......if I can afford. Haha...... :bsmilie:

I too, tt's why its "if possible". :D

If anybody did check out Eikin's posting, he's just using a coolpix 4500!!! Really remarlable shots. :embrass:

Status
Not open for further replies.