how many pixel is good for a 4R printout?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cheesecake said:
don't know wat u guys think, but i've done 4R prints at a resolution of only 640X480(thereabouts) at 72DPI.
the fotos are sharp.

normally, i will simply bring my prints(1800X1200, 72DPI) down to Kim Tian and look for Michelle or PeiYun and requests for 4R Fill-In(something like tat la) printing.

never understand the technical jargons that well, but i've done 15R fotos at only 72DPI.:embrass:

i mux haf missed out alot of technical jargons along the way...:embrass:

I think they have sophiscated software built-in to to resize images upwards and the actual dpi used for their printing is actually not 72 dpi.

As for 1800 x 1200, it can't be 72dpi if your size is 4R because it would be 25" x 16.7" if it's printed at 72dpi. The dpi specified in the image filze may not be the one used for actual printing.

There is a difference between printing at home, printing in office and letting the commercial people print for you.

Anyway, here's a minimum image resolution guide for letting commercial people print for you : http://www.so-net.com.hk/imagestation/faq/Faq05.php

Clockunder said:
I think they have sophiscated software built-in to to resize images upwards and the actual dpi used for their printing is actually not 72 dpi.

As for 1800 x 1200, it can't be 72dpi if your size is 4R because it would be 25" x 16.7" if it's printed at 72dpi. The dpi specified in the image filze may not be the one used for actual printing.

There is a difference between printing at home, printing in office and letting the commercial people print for you.

Anyway, here's a minimum image resolution guide for letting commercial people print for you : http://www.so-net.com.hk/imagestation/faq/Faq05.php

:embrass: i'm sticking to my commercial printers for the time being. :embrass:

Clockunder said:
But when it comes to printing, dpi comes in and the quality of the printer also counts. The dpi achievable is directly related to the pixel counts of the picture. To the non-fussy, 150-200 dpi might still be acceptable in print.

So, what is typical dpi setting at those photolab?

hey guys, if I have jpegs that are 3360x2240, can I send them to the photolab and print them as they are? i don't like the idea of compressing them before sending it for printing.

for 3360x2240, what is the largest printable size? (good resolution at handhold distance..)

Any where to reccomend for printing? Pls recommend....Thanks!!

Douglas

doug3fflux said:
hey guys, if I have jpegs that are 3360x2240, can I send them to the photolab and print them as they are? i don't like the idea of compressing them before sending it for printing.

for 3360x2240, what is the largest printable size? (good resolution at handhold distance..)

Any where to reccomend for printing? Pls recommend....Thanks!!

Douglas

for 3360x2240 i'm sure that u can print it above A4 at least without problems.
there's this No.1 Colour centre which have 14 branches around singapore. the most convient is at clementi, parkway, chinatown pt, orchard plaza and raffles city. they are cheap 4R @ 20cents plus free album (at least 100pics) (25 cents for above 20 less than 100 but u can crop yourself) how ever, the down side is tat they crop for u. and i can tell u. sometimes they erm crop the wrong things though. so i usually crop my pics with PS b4 sending to print. (but still they crop my pics sometimes at funnie places.. dun know y leh. i crop at 6X4 inches lor... sian):dunno:

how about print quality? not only cheap lah..good print quality too...No.1?

synthesis said:
So, what is typical dpi setting at those photolab?

The dpi setting depends on the type of printer being used and the pixel size of the original image sent to the lab. Under ideal conditions most labs like to work with the following ranges of output dpi:

Inkjet: 200-300 dpi -typical output is 300 dpi
Dye-sublimation: 200-300 dpi, typically 250-300 dpi.
Plotter: 220-300 dpi - typically 275-300 dpi.
Laser*: 200-300 dpi. Typically 225-275 dpi depending on paper used.

* So called laser printers use a laser matrix head to print on to regular photographic print film, which is then processed normally. This process allows the use of all of the esoteric film printing paper types such as genuine matte papers as well as paper developing techniques such as sepia and other monotoning, platinum processes etc.

The output results also vary depending on the printer technology, for example, a Dye-sublimation print has a smoother tonal ouput than an Inkjet, whilst a plotter is a poor mans alternative a Laser based printer such as a Durst Lambda in the large print arena.

It's also nearly impossible to cross compare dpi from printer type to printer type, for example a 225 dpi print from a Durst Lambda laser printer is holds far more detail than a 300dpi Inkjet print.

After all the discussion here, can we apply the points brought up this way:

1. since we don't know what printers the recipients will be using, the photo(s) should be resized to 1800 x 1200 pixels.

2. JPEG quality should be the highest possible, i.e. resulting in the largest acceptable file size.

Status
Not open for further replies.