how many people use MF lens on canon DSLR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Woo.

Nice Rokkor Shots there.

Anybody wanna guess which lens i used for this shot?

2780615575_e23eb2cac1.jpg

i paid US$450 for this lens, which was already converted to the EOS mount. the conversion was very well done, and it focuses to infinity on the 5D without any problems. I did not have to shave my mirror either, to my supreme relief. Picked this up on the very last day while I was in the US.

That's pretty good deal! Just the lens itself goes around $400. So $50 for the m42 adapter and labour cost to convert the lens is well worth the money!

Mine can't focus to infinity but the lens serves me fine so no intention to mod it further.

rokkor-008.jpg

Last edited:
the image quality (by using chip) much better than those without chip, even using same adaptor.
:)

This is an interesting statement. I know that some chips help to transmit information for flash photography, but thus far I've yet to see the benefit of an AF chip. When I do rely on it the true point of focus is invariably off.

Nevertheless, using plain adapters with alternative glass is a fun way to do photography, even if a bit slow. All lenses in my setup are manual focus. At this time I'm still waiting for a Leica 180/4 off Ebay.

Leica optics on a Canon CMOS sensor seems to make a nice pair. Best part was that I could buy 3 Leica lenses and still have some leftover after giving up a single Canon standard L zoom.

Summicron 35mm f/2

326V1641.jpg

Summicron 90mm f/2

326V1873.jpg

Last edited:
This is an interesting statement. I know that some chips help to transmit information for flash photography, but thus far I've yet to see the benefit of an AF chip. When I do rely on it the true point of focus is invariably off.

Nevertheless, using plain adapters with alternative glass is a fun way to do photography, even if a bit slow. All lenses in my setup are manual focus. At this time I'm still waiting for a Leica 180/4 off Ebay.

Leica optics on a Canon CMOS sensor seems to make a nice pair. Best part was that I could buy 3 Leica lenses and still have some leftover after giving up a single Canon standard L zoom.

Summicron 35mm f/2

326V1641.jpg

Summicron 90mm f/2

326V1873.jpg

Great stuff bro. The chip thing...I have my doubts too.

As an aside, how much did the 35/2 'Cron set you back by? I would think the 'Crons are better balance of value for money compared to the insane cost of a Summilux.

leica and schneider retina /voigtlander bessamatic are the best partner for DSLR body even you donot use any chip(now I just finished the SONY FF DSLR test for several leica sony mount with new sony Anti-shake chip)I found CZ (contax) must use chip in lots of cases...

for canon chip issue, I think the chip is very helpful for the F1.4 and F1.2 focus and image quality improved a lots(try famous zeiss 50/1.4 and 85/2.8 again on FF with chip pls). also there are three version chips, F1.4, F1.8 and F2 at market. :thumbsup:

there is a rumor recently from leica USA that leica may made some MF/AF lense at EF mount soon (same method for sony ZA lens), as a reward, canon will provide some FF CMOS for leica new DSLR and M digital bodies.

Last edited:
Great stuff bro. The chip thing...I have my doubts too.

As an aside, how much did the 35/2 'Cron set you back by? I would think the 'Crons are better balance of value for money compared to the insane cost of a Summilux.

Thanks. The 35/2 cost $550, and was purchased from another member here (Parlin). Having said that, it is a well-used specimen and those in better condition usually retail for a good amount more. I've been watching prices at Ebay and the better examples may sell for upwards of US$700.

The Lux looks nice on paper and the one stop could mean a lot to some people. Not for me however, and the lux wasn't an option either since I was looking for a lens that would cost no more than a 35L, and preferably be a lot cheaper. People have asked me why I didn't choose a Canon 35/2 instead considering it has competitive image quality, has AF and electronic aperture. I have never done a side-by-side comparison between the Cron and Canon's 35/2, but have read about the sometimes rough-looking bokeh in the latter.

Then there is the noisy AF and supposedly substandard build quality. But for most, the Canon is still a more logical choice. Those who desire something more interesting however, may want to try alternative glass.

leica and schneider retina /voigtlander bessamatic are the best partner for DSLR body even you donot use any chip(now I just finished the SONY FF DSLR test for several leica sony mount with new sony Anti-shake chip)I found CZ (contax) must use chip in lots of cases...

for canon chip issue, I think the chip is very helpful for the F1.4 and F1.2 focus and image quality improved a lots(try famous zeiss 50/1.4 and 85/2.8 again on FF with chip pls). also there are three version chips, F1.4, F1.8 and F2 at market. :thumbsup:

there is a rumor recently from leica USA that leica may made some MF/AF lense at EF mount soon (same method for sony ZA lens), as a reward, canon will provide some FF CMOS for leica new DSLR and M digital bodies.

I'd be very interested to see what differences there are between chips and between chip and chip-less. It doesn't seem logical that the chip alone will make a big difference to IQ.

Speaking of chip versions, the one I got with my M42 adapter (now siting on a CZJ Pancolar 50/2) shows the aperture at f/1.4. Not sure if that makes any difference to the IQ at all. I haven't used this lens extensively but it has the very interesting swirly bokeh that the Noctilux users seem to like in that said lens.

Sure or not??
If only I could do away with all the stupid adapters! Adapters really giving me many problem, especially those Leica -> EOS adapters.
I just had a Leica R 100 and realised that several pieces of my adapters cannot let it focus to infinity.

But then again, the price of these new AF Leica lenses is likely to be sky high!

Leica R 100 + 5D:
leica100-001.jpg

That's pretty good deal! Just the lens itself goes around $400. So $50 for the m42 adapter and labour cost to convert the lens is well worth the money!

Mine can't focus to infinity but the lens serves me fine so no intention to mod it further.

Is it still possible to find rokkor locally?

That's certainly an interesting development....

Cheers,

my leica -eos adaptor infinity no problem, maybe you need AF-chip to help, I have one spare set.:)

Ah, the Leica Elmar-R 180/4 just arrived in the mail today but I have yet to test it out. Also just bought an old Leica 400/5 originally meant for the Visoflex system. Not sure how this would perform but I may have it in hand within the next two weeks.

Thanks. The 35/2 cost $550, and was purchased from another member here (Parlin). Having said that, it is a well-used specimen and those in better condition usually retail for a good amount more. I've been watching prices at Ebay and the better examples may sell for upwards of US$700.

The Lux looks nice on paper and the one stop could mean a lot to some people. Not for me however, and the lux wasn't an option either since I was looking for a lens that would cost no more than a 35L, and preferably be a lot cheaper. People have asked me why I didn't choose a Canon 35/2 instead considering it has competitive image quality, has AF and electronic aperture. I have never done a side-by-side comparison between the Cron and Canon's 35/2, but have read about the sometimes rough-looking bokeh in the latter.

Then there is the noisy AF and supposedly substandard build quality. But for most, the Canon is still a more logical choice. Those who desire something more interesting however, may want to try alternative glass.

This is the EF 35/2.

90f9fb3946cd10cb1f6553169fa2ec57.jpg

Facing_The_Daily_Grind__by_k_leb_k.jpg

Ah, the Leica Elmar-R 180/4 just arrived in the mail today but I have yet to test it out. Also just bought an old Leica 400/5 originally meant for the Visoflex system. Not sure how this would perform but I may have it in hand within the next two weeks.

leica visoflex 65mm/3.5 elmar is the No.1 lens for its sharpness, must buybuybuy:thumbsup:

This is the EF 35/2.

Hmm...the bokeh is alright, looking at the shots here. In some samples that I've seen online there was sometimes a harsh bokeh, but that may be more to do with DOF or distance between subject and background.

Looking at the second picture, I'm sure a lot of us here can testify to feeling that way in the morning.

leica visoflex 65mm/3.5 elmar is the No.1 lens for its sharpness, must buybuybuy:thumbsup:

I've seen a number of these sell on Ebay, but never seen any go particularly cheap as of yet. My worry with these lenses is that I don't know if they come with the focusing mount and all the necessary accessories. The focusing mount is a pain to locate, and sometimes when questioned, the seller has no idea what you're referring to. And the photos of the item may be small or blurred.

Sounds familiar? :bsmilie: Plenty of these on the Bay. The price looks lovely, but I can't get a good enough glimpse of the item to consider bidding.

Hmm...the bokeh is alright, looking at the shots here. In some samples that I've seen online there was sometimes a harsh bokeh, but that may be more to do with DOF or distance between subject and background.

Looking at the second picture, I'm sure a lot of us here can testify to feeling that way in the morning.

Hehehe.

Perhaps it has something to do with format as well? These were shot on a 1.3x crop, not a 1.6x crop. Let me dig up the older 1.6x crop shots and see if they have the harsh bokeh you're talking about.

Maybe this is a little harsh...(shot on a 30D). Check out the OOF lens designation in the foreground.

05352e73b712b03aaf7804977fe6f7df.jpg

These are a little smoother I think. Less obvious DOF fall off; in fact, it seems quite a pleasing gradual fall off.

9041a6781211a6ce50c9d7d6bdead9e4.jpg

b8c65d1b7c9911cd9fdec2653f4baa49.jpg

Hehehe.

Perhaps it has something to do with format as well? These were shot on a 1.3x crop, not a 1.6x crop. Let me dig up the older 1.6x crop shots and see if they have the harsh bokeh you're talking about.

The format could indeed affect the appearance of the bokeh. Bokeh is a tough thing though, so subjective. Given the right subject I am sure just about any kind of bokeh will do. But for the usual smooth and very soft bokeh, we can only get it from a few lenses and perhaps usually wide open.

The first photo of the R6 does show something of a double image in the out of focus areas. And to nitpick on the photo of the oyster omelet (which I miss), there's a few bright discs in the out of focus plate and what looks like a patch of chili sauce. But really, looking that closely is just wasting time because it's not a significant problem. The Canon 35/2 looks like a good lens and it's affordable to boot!

Even the Summicron 35/2 can have less than pleasing bokeh if used with extension tubes for closeups, and when stopped down. Both the following shots were done with the Cron 35 and extension tubes. First one looks alright. But in the second, the addition of a few background highlights is more revealing:

LeicaFlowerCloseup.jpg

326V1345.jpg

they are famous VISOFLEX mount, in taiwan, even popular than normal M lens and zeiss prime...

I'm also using MF lens on my Canon 20D, I must say that the shooting style and composition required is really very different from using AF lens.

Enjoying every moment of it though :)

Currently using a Zeiss Jena 58mm f2 Biotar and a 20mm f4 Flektogon!

Status
Not open for further replies.