How is Nikon D5100?

snaploverr

Jul 4, 2012
singapore
I have been using SLT ...

But recently I start considering to switch to the DSLR and am really interested to get one Nikon DSLR.

D5100 is the one caught my eyes.

But what worries me is that it does not have a built-in auto-focus motor, I heard it makes sort of difficult to find a lens.

I am thinking about to get D5100 body, and Sigma lense 30 1.4, and Sigma 17-50 f2.8. From reviews online, I heard Sigma is unable to auto-focus when the camera is in live-view mode.

Anyone knows how to fix this problem?

I am just a beginner who is really interested to recording every memorable moment of daily life.

How is Nikon D5100 ?

Btw, I am currently using Sony A55

Check out D7000 instead if you want a better AF, fps, viewfinder, focusing motor, ergonomics.

If you don't need those features, do check out D3200.

But if you want to capture every moment of daily life, SLR is too big.

Yes, you're right, DSLR is too big to capture moments of daily life, whether it is physically the size of the body + lens or the file size, it's too big for me. For me, I use the camera of my smartphone, because the image quality of smartphone nowaday is good enough to document everything you do. If image quality is really your concern, check out mirrorless.

I'm D5100 user. And I'm would say I'm satisfied with it. It's small, just nice on medium size hands for me. I love the articulated LCD and the in-camera effect and post-processing.

Image quality wise, you can look at my 500px. (500px / Isaac Lew Chan Ming / Photos)

Hmmmm, I think from a55 to d5100 makes no significant difference, other upgrading brand name. In fact, what I am thinking is that you are downgrading technically because a55 and d5100 are in a same level camera, which is the upper entry level. The only difference is that d5100 could not function on a screw type autofocus lens. Whereas the a55 can function just about any lens, and it is even faster than Nikon.

I suggest you get a d90 or d7000 which sits in the mid level and upper mid level respectively. My d7000 can capture just about everything, from memorable events, artistic scenes, streets and to micro. It is my one and only workhorse cam for a type of a serious enthusiast like me on a budget.

Hmmmm, I think from a55 to d5100 makes no significant difference, other upgrading brand name. In fact, what I am thinking is that you are downgrading technically because a55 and d5100 are in a same level camera, which is the upper entry level. The only difference is that d5100 could not function on a screw type autofocus lens. Whereas the a55 can function just about any lens, and it is even faster than Nikon.

I suggest you get a d90 or d7000 which sits in the mid level and upper mid level respectively. My d7000 can capture just about everything, from memorable events, artistic scenes, streets and to micro. It is my one and only workhorse cam for a type of a serious enthusiast like me on a budget.

The reason I want to switch to D5100 is that the color reproduction in my SLT a55 just won't be right... Either too strong or too light...

and D5100 has almost everything I want -- articulated LCD, built-in effect, relatively small size..

But I am also thinking about that there is no much difference between A55 and D5100..

Maybe I should wait a little longer till Nikon introduce another DSLR with articulated LCD

I'm D5100 user. And I'm would say I'm satisfied with it. It's small, just nice on medium size hands for me. I love the articulated LCD and the in-camera effect and post-processing.

Image quality wise, you can look at my 500px. (500px / Isaac Lew Chan Ming / Photos)

Thanks for sharing your opinion..

Just open the link..

Your works are brilliant!

Yes, you're right, DSLR is too big to capture moments of daily life, whether it is physically the size of the body + lens or the file size, it's too big for me. For me, I use the camera of my smartphone, because the image quality of smartphone nowaday is good enough to document everything you do. If image quality is really your concern, check out mirrorless.

Middle to small size slr is still acceptable for me!

:)

Check out D7000 instead if you want a better AF, fps, viewfinder, focusing motor, ergonomics.

If you don't need those features, do check out D3200.

But if you want to capture every moment of daily life, SLR is too big.

I wish D7000 has a articulated LCD

snaploverr said:
The reason I want to switch to D5100 is that the color reproduction in my SLT a55 just won't be right... Either too strong or too light...

and D5100 has almost everything I want -- articulated LCD, built-in effect, relatively small size..

But I am also thinking about that there is no much difference between A55 and D5100..

Maybe I should wait a little longer till Nikon introduce another DSLR with articulated LCD

I see....

Hmmm, articulated screen is your preference. Try also opening other brands, like Canon 60d. Feature wise, a55 still ahead but 60d has a pro feel, image quality and articulated screen.

I see....

Hmmm, articulated screen is your preference. Try also opening other brands, like Canon 60d. Feature wise, a55 still ahead but 60d has a pro feel, image quality and articulated screen.

Just don't feel like Canon...

Maybe have to wait for Nikon to have something new

:confused:

I have using D5100 since they 1st launched here, so far value for $$$, good vivid shots. Lens with built in mtr are common these days, Nikon APS models or even 3rd party sigma which i am using (10-20mm ) all works well. You can have a look at my recent Bali thread here http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/land-city-scapes-travel/1138670-national-day-break-bali.html.

It is using the sensor from D7000, therefore you can save the difference & spend it on the lens which most suit your style, in my case Landscape..

Hope this helps.
Cheers

The big difference will be the OVF vs EVF, and battery life.

But you might want to hold off your purchase for a little while more... D7100 and D5200 maybe on the horizon.. just wait a couple months more and see.

The big difference will be the OVF vs EVF, and battery life.

But you might want to hold off your purchase for a little while more... D7100 and D5200 maybe on the horizon.. just wait a couple months more and see.
Don't think D5200 is coming soon though D7100 is highly likely

Not much changes. Major differences n facts are as follows. The Sony use EVF while Nikon use OVF. The a55 has more frame per sec and I think it may AF faster. The Nikon like you mention has no motor so lenses could be limited. The Sony doesn't have this issue.

Finally, with Sony u are blessed with IS/VR on whatever A mount lenses u choose to mount on it because of the in built image stablisation technology.

Not much changes. Major differences n facts are as follows. The Sony use EVF while Nikon use OVF. The a55 has more frame per sec and I think it may AF faster. The Nikon like you mention has no motor so lenses could be limited. The Sony doesn't have this issue.

Finally, with Sony u are blessed with IS/VR on whatever A mount lenses u choose to mount on it because of the in built image stablisation technology.

and you missed out on battery life. systems that do constant liveview (like evf) usually takes a big hit on battery life.
and I prefer IS/VR on lenses myself. I just felt it is more efficient that way.

I have using D5100 since they 1st launched here, so far value for $$$, good vivid shots. Lens with built in mtr are common these days, Nikon APS models or even 3rd party sigma which i am using (10-20mm ) all works well. You can have a look at my recent Bali thread here http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/land-city-scapes-travel/1138670-national-day-break-bali.html.

It is using the sensor from D7000, therefore you can save the difference & spend it on the lens which most suit your style, in my case Landscape..

Hope this helps.
Cheers

Such nice shots!!!

and you missed out on battery life. systems that do constant liveview (like evf) usually takes a big hit on battery life.
and I prefer IS/VR on lenses myself. I just felt it is more efficient that way.

Just heard that it will be slower to focus using LCD on SLR, comparing using the viewfinder..

Which makes me think that the articulated LCD on DSLR could be not that much useful?..

snaploverr said:
Just heard that it will be slower to focus using LCD on SLR, comparing using the viewfinder..

Which makes me think that the articulated LCD on DSLR could be not that much useful?..

How often will you use articulated lcd and live view?

I think it ia very useful for video and people who are more serious in video usually use manual focus.