How important is flash in event photography?

For indoor event, recommend to use a powerful external flash. It is very useful esp. for group photography.

how do u throw out enough light? i always find groupshots a nightmare. just need a difference in distance between 2 ppl front and back, u get very uneven lighting:think:

First, you have to understand LIGHT, and it's properties, then what flash/artificial light is capable of, and then what modifiers are capable of ... then you will start grasping the whole sheebang called ... 'LIGHT'! :cool:

Seriously.

Ask yourself, what is (conventional) photography all about?

First, you have to understand LIGHT, and it's properties, then what flash/artificial light is capable of, and then what modifiers are capable of ... then you will start grasping the whole sheebang called ... 'LIGHT'! :cool:

Seriously.

its about photoshop?:bsmilie:

photograph means drawing with light. hehe.

Seriously.

thats very true, however as a newbie i have ALOT to learn about flash and lighting. probably wouldnt know how to use the complicated Nikon Speedlights even if i had one. Time to learn? Or does this flash and lighting thing have a steep learning curve? ;p

consider this. at f2.8, dof is shallow. if it is lowlight, and your body isnt able to handle, AF may always be off.

at f4, u have a better leeway due to the larger dof.

now, at f4, do you have enough light?

if not, what shld you use?:)

flash can work well if you are skilled enough. its fine to have the subject brighter than background by a stop or 2:think:

anyways... ttl for most brands get what u need. i suggest to rent a flash first. it can do wonders if used well.

76227_467144343584_786218584_5687364_1379924_n.jpg

74592_467134358584_786218584_5687221_7120019_n.jpg

if not for the flash i would never get these 2 shots. too dark.

the last shot is solely lighted by a flash bounced to the right of subject against the wall
this is true, i'm also in this event and i'm shooting with my build in 50D flash with iso 1250 in 2.8 with 125 shutter speed, just to get an ok picture,
7zSI3O0r.jpeg

so yeah i'll say external flash is important in dimlit indoor photography especially if u wanna get moving objects

Last edited:
thats very true, however as a newbie i have ALOT to learn about flash and lighting. probably wouldnt know how to use the complicated Nikon Speedlights even if i had one. Time to learn? Or does this flash and lighting thing have a steep learning curve? ;p

How important is flash? Very.
Is on board pop up flash enough? No.
How to use external flash? Here you go:

http://www.gentleye.com/photo/photoart/advflash/index.html
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=171657
http://nikonclspracticalguide.blogspot.com/

Last edited:
this is true, i'm also in this event and i'm shooting with my build in 50D flash with iso 1250 in 2.8 with 125 shutter speed, just to get an ok picture,
so yeah i'll say external flash is important in dimlit indoor photography especially if u wanna get moving objects

With pop up you will never be able to bounce the flash...

And what's so great about bounced flash? it gives some directionality and very natural looking diffused light. Like this one...

5038402641_504e8fbfd7.jpg

Last edited:
With pop up you will never be able to bounce the flash...

And what's so great about bounced flash? it gives some directionality and very natural looking diffused light. Like this one...

5038402641_504e8fbfd7.jpg

:thumbsup: couldn't agree more, but at that moment i just sold of my 420EXII in the morning so no choice but to use the pop up one hahaha

:thumbsup: couldn't agree more, but at that moment i just sold of my 420EXII in the morning so no choice but to use the pop up one hahaha

why sell? flash the more the merrier... can use for strobing mah.

just to add on another link

http://neilvn.com/tangents/flash-photography-techniques/

do consider balance on your body... when i was still very new on my d5000 i once paired it with a 28-70 and a nissin di622 flash... finger pain... (but of course 28-70 is monstrous in size)

the d5000 doesn't come with original nikon battery grip though (although got 3rd party)

i think if you are willing to sacrifice range, getting a pro lens like the 17-55 would help reduce low light hunting...

also things to keep a look out for when you do your e-learning:

-find out how to balance ambient and flash light.. very easy to end up overpowering one with the other

-find out how flash exposure compensation works...

-etc

and no matter how many people you see doing it... diffusing flash is not just about slapping a diffusion device like a hard cap or a lightsphere dome or look-a-like and just firing straight up (unless you absolutely need to)

make full use of any large surfaces like nearby walls to do bounce flash, should give better looking directional lighting

hope this helps :)

Great links! :thumbsup: was about to go Riceball to buy a book on flash photography techniques! :bsmilie: