How good are those Canon EOS Books?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SamPaul

Sep 5, 2007
I've seen places selling guide books on Canon EOS 500D/40D/50D etc...is it useful? How is it compare with instruction manual? Have anyone seen books on 7D?

Last edited:
so nobody owns any of these books?

I have 2 of the books for my cam. Namely, the Magic Lantern Guides and the Digital Field Guide.

Personal opinions, take at ur own risk :p

I feel that the Magic Lantern Guides are expanded instruction manuals, explains each individual feature and function. I always refer to this when I am not sure about a particular function. The Digital Field Guide is more practical-based, with loads of examples and guides. Something like a best practice kinda book.

Hope that helps!

I have the 450D book. It's very useful for me because I am a beginner. If you are not a beginner you may give it a miss.

to be honest, these books are just your camera manual explained in "less technical", "simpler" terms.

if you have bothered to read up on basic photography, your camera manual will be easy to digest, and you have no need of these.

in fact, other than obscurely located functions, most modern day cameras are pretty intuitive.

I used to buy a couple of those guide books but frankly speaking they are pretty expensive and does not necessary offer any more useful information than the user manual.

I would buy other photography related book instead. Generally I find them more "long lasting"... :)

I would buy other photography related book instead. Generally I find them more "long lasting"... :)

i actually prefer just buying picture books.. these will always be relevant because.. a good picture remains good forever.

whereas knowledge garnered, you should be internalising it, after which, you don't need the book anymore! :)

of course, for more advanced things like photoshoppery and advanced lighting techniques, you might want to refer back.. but for basic photography, compositional guides, etc.. i don't really see a purpose.

i actually prefer just buying picture books.. these will always be relevant because.. a good picture remains good forever.

whereas knowledge garnered, you should be internalising it, after which, you don't need the book anymore! :)

of course, for more advanced things like photoshoppery and advanced lighting techniques, you might want to refer back.. but for basic photography, compositional guides, etc.. i don't really see a purpose.

I normally "purchase" more online books instead, coz I don't like the additional space. My motto is always: "Shoot more, learn more" :)

Thanks everybody..looks like I'll give it a miss & will spend more time playing with my camera than reading...:)

If the book is on how to take better photos with techniques, methods and photos to illustrate, then would be useful. If it is another book on how to use your camera, then you are better off using the thing than reading about it.

I've seen places selling guide books on Canon EOS 500D/40D/50D etc...is it useful? How is it compare with instruction manual? Have anyone seen books on 7D?

Depending on what is your perception of a digital camera, a high-tech gadget or a tool for "painting" picture. I prefer books on photography but not operations manuals, I almost bought those manuals you mentioned when I started on DSLR, but read magazines on photography instead.

Last edited:
In fact my 1st criteria of a camera model or brand is how intuitive their body is. Back in manual days, we dun really need instructions manual....and even up till today DSLR era, I dun have to refer to a manual to use 1. The buttons and how the menu are arranged should be simple enough for you to navigate not referring to the manual at all. If you need to find out what does a particular function does, then you probably just need to read on more on basic digital photography terms.

flipped through a couple, didn't find anything more than what's already on the manual, basically a glorified and remarketted camera manual. Personally i would save up to get good photo books (Nat Geo, Magnum, etc)

The reasons for me exploring these books is to find out how to maximise the usage of each & individual function, especially for 7D, with much more features than 400D where I started. In fact, just thought that there must be some diff between these books & instruction manual, or else there will be no market for it. The only thing is...how much different or are the differences worth paying?

I picked up the 5DMk2 "User Guide" at Canon Vivo City, just for fun. Makes for good casual reading though, but I guess for many, it's more for "Post-purchase evaluation" rather than for technical knowledge on operating the camera (how hard is it to read the manual?). "Post-purchase evaluation" = making yourself feel that every dollar spent on the equipment is worth it =p

In fact my 1st criteria of a camera model or brand is how intuitive their body is. Back in manual days, we dun really need instructions manual....and even up till today DSLR era, I dun have to refer to a manual to use 1. The buttons and how the menu are arranged should be simple enough for you to navigate not referring to the manual at all. If you need to find out what does a particular function does, then you probably just need to read on more on basic digital photography terms.

I agree with you on these points, Maltese. But allow me to take them one step further. From my own experience, there are certain more complex functions that the manuals themselves do not deal with in too much detail. As such, some of these 'manual-like- books do offer insights from the author/s' own experiences. But certainly, you pay much more for a book that teaches so little.

If the book is on how to take better photos with techniques, methods and photos to illustrate, then would be useful. If it is another book on how to use your camera, then you are better off using the thing than reading about it.
I would say yes, these are certainly the books to buy. They are, in a way, timeless.
Like many practical skills, reading and understanding the basics, followed by delving more into finer technical aspects, will greatly enhance one's understanding and execution. I say this not for photography alone, but for many others.

My opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.