how far should a "newbie" tag allow one to get away with?

Status
Not open for further replies.
"What Camera Should I Get?"

:) In fact this is a sane question. For a person (who never touched 'big' cameras before) who wants to buy a camera, they may not be so confident about the type of camera to get. In a public forum, this kind of question is unavoidable. Even if you close down the thread, there would be another new-and-pumped-up kid wanting to try his skill in photography and asking this question again. Even my aunts, who want to get a PnS for their tour in China, will ask a lot of people for their suggestions before buying.

A public forum is meant to be public (yes, not forgetting the rules). sappy's thread has nothing wrong in it, in my opinion. A forum should have a share between serious and light-hearted discussions. As long as the thread is related to photography, it should be treated with respect. Think about it: if a person doesn't like you, he won't even come to visit your house. Why would he want to waste his time to upload pics or do posting? I am a moderator for a Taiwanese and a Chinese photography site too, and I can tell you, I haven't deregistered a single person. While a website hopes to be respected, it should learn to respect people first. I don't know why in CS, bumping up a zero reply thread will invite sarcasms like "earning points", "earning popularity", "nothing good to say don't say", etc. blah blah. Any thread, any pic - bad/good/average - should all be acknowledged because the photographer has made the effort to take the picture, download, process, and upload to photobucket. It is rather surprising that people here would rather leave a zero-reply thread as it is. It is a common practice for moderators in Chinese websites to bump up any thread with 0 reply. You can imagine you yourself as a newbie photographer having posted some pics and still seeing 0 comments/replies. Well, you won't feel good right? How about some encouragement for him, like "Shoot more bro =)" or (if you want to be harsh) "Doesn't work".
Think about it this way: it is like people coming to your house and you never perform your duty as a host. You ignore him - next time he won't come again.

Anyway, this is just an opinion, not targeting at anyone.

:) In fact this is a sane question. For a person (who never touched 'big' cameras before) who wants to buy a camera, they may not be so confident about the type of camera to get. In a public forum, this kind of question is unavoidable. Even if you close down the thread, there would be another new-and-pumped-up kid wanting to try his skill in photography and asking this question again. Even my aunts, who want to get a PnS for their tour in China, will ask a lot of people for their suggestions before buying.

A public forum is meant to be public (yes, not forgetting the rules). sappy's thread has nothing wrong in it, in my opinion. A forum should have a share between serious and light-hearted discussions. As long as the thread is related to photography, it should be treated with respect. Think about it: if a person doesn't like you, he won't even come to visit your house. Why would he want to waste his time to upload pics or do posting? I am a moderator for a Taiwanese and a Chinese photography site too, and I can tell you, I haven't deregistered a single person. While a website hopes to be respected, it should learn to respect people first. I don't know why in CS, bumping up a zero reply thread will invite sarcasms like "earning points", "earning popularity", "nothing good to say don't say", etc. blah blah. Any thread, any pic - bad/good/average - should all be acknowledged because the photographer has made the effort to take the picture, download, process, and upload to photobucket. It is rather surprising that people here would rather leave a zero-reply thread as it is. It is a common practice for moderators in Chinese websites to bump up any thread with 0 reply. You can imagine you yourself as a newbie photographer having posted some pics and still seeing 0 comments/replies. Well, you won't feel good right? How about some encouragement for him, like "Shoot more bro =)" or (if you want to be harsh) "Doesn't work".
Think about it this way: it is like people coming to your house and you never perform your duty as a host. You ignore him - next time he won't come again.

1) not all cases are equal. the pumped up kid is it-savvy, or at least should be. he, i would classify as lazy and unmotivated, and not all that serious about wanting to start in the first place. i mean let's face it, if one really wants to find out more about photography, one can easily. the latter scenario is entirely different.

2) for the last paragraph quoted, i can fully understand this. when i was still messing around with my pns and put up a few photos for critique no one replied. i bumped it up, i remember.. ah here it is. but this is an entirely different matter, won't you agree? but definitely no less worthy for discussion, just that i cannot find any relation. i think if one wants to give critique, one should also put in effort. i see a lot of oneliner critiques like: snapshottish. these serve no purpose.

i also donut what u trying to do...

put it this way..
you will never be able to put an end to this sort of questions :devil: :bsmilie: :sweat:
so i guess its a matter of how do you deal with it..

put it this way..
you will never be able to put an end to this sort of questions :devil: :bsmilie: :sweat:
so i guess its a matter of how do you deal with it..

:( that's like saying that we should not do anything to criminals and learn how to live in harmony with devious acts because they will always be around

disagreed!

It is rather surprising that people here would rather leave a zero-reply thread as it is. It is a common practice for moderators in Chinese websites to bump up any thread with 0 reply. You can imagine you yourself as a newbie photographer having posted some pics and still seeing 0 comments/replies. Well, you won't feel good right? How about some encouragement for him, like "Shoot more bro =)" or (if you want to be harsh) "Doesn't work".

I took lots of macro photogarphy, but i seldom leave comments in CS marco forum.

To be frank, most of the photo is :thumbsd::thumbsd::thumbsd:.
How to give comment... give truth comment to hurt them? or just say things like everyone in the forum said: well done, good capture, very sharp, hope i can shoot like you etc....

You said they are just newbie, need encourgement to improve, but i don't see it this way, i brought up to learn things throught truth comments or in the hard way.

I'm also newbie, just start macro photography for only 5 months. This is the result of learning in a hard way.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/yanleong23/

hey,

welcome to Singapore.

enjoy ur stay here.

hopefully not every CSer will become Sugar-Coated fans n go to every single thread in the gallery forum n praise each n every single fotos there is.

so fake!

:( that's like saying that we should not do anything to criminals and learn how to live in harmony with devious acts because they will always be around

disagreed!

Haha bro, "Kuang Kwee Dan Bo" (看开一点) la. They are everywhere. :sweat:

hey,

welcome to Singapore.

enjoy ur stay here.

hopefully not every CSer will become Sugar-Coated fans n go to every single thread in the gallery forum n praise each n every single fotos there is.

so fake!

so fat!

if u dunno wat to say, dun say anything.

if u feel tat the foto is good, leave an encouraging comment.

no point goin around n saying "Good shot, nice, solid, excellent etc.etc." to each n every single foto becos at the end of the day u're kidding urself n making urself look kinda silly.

at the end of the day, the TS will never improve becos his eyes are blinded by all the Sugar-Coated replies of sweet-nothings and he will never learn when he erred.

i think its a popularity contest lah...

sugar coated and glazed... double sweetness...

disagreed!

WOW........ your number of posts . . . . . . .. :bigeyes: :bsmilie:

if u dunno wat to say, dun say anything.

if u feel tat the foto is good, leave an encouraging comment.

no point goin around n saying "Good shot, nice, solid, excellent etc.etc." to each n every single foto becos at the end of the day u're kidding urself n making urself look kinda silly.

at the end of the day, the TS will never improve becos his eyes are blinded by all the Sugar-Coated replies of sweet-nothings and he will never learn when he erred.

i repeat, donut underestimate the power of the sugar icing coated & glazed flavour :devil:

I took lots of macro photogarphy, but i seldom leave comments in CS marco forum.

To be frank, most of the photo is :thumbsd::thumbsd::thumbsd:.
How to give comment... give truth comment to hurt them? or just say things like everyone in the forum said: well done, good capture, very sharp, hope i can shoot like you etc....

You said they are just newbie, need encourgement to improve, but i don't see it this way, i brought up to learn things throught truth comments or in the hard way.

I'm also newbie, just start macro photography for only 5 months. This is the result of learning in a hard way.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/yanleong23/

look, when one puts up a photo for comments, they have to be ready for the good and harsh comments. i mean, you wouldn't knowingly post a crappy photo hoping to get some "nice shot" comments. all i'm saying, is that before one puts up a photo for judgement by others, judge the photo yourself first. i shot a whole roll of fireworks recently and every single one was utter rubbish. there's no way i'm showing you guys these photos, they're only good for the bin. but that won't stop me from trying again next time.

if others don't agree with your comments, take it on the chin, get up and learn for next time. but please, "nice shot", "great capture", "bleah...." or "snapshotish" don't count as valid comments/critiques. it does not show respect to the poster of the photo who basically puts his/her rep on the line.

disagreed!
The police will deal with the criminals lor... Anyway, on a scale of "talking a little louder in class" to "muder", I would rate the thread that you talked about at a "talking a little louder in class". Why get so uptight? :dunno:

Cheer up! ;)

look, when one puts up a photo for comments, they have to be ready for the good and harsh comments. i mean, you wouldn't knowingly post a crappy photo hoping to get some "nice shot" comments. all i'm saying, is that before one puts up a photo for judgement by others, judge the photo yourself first. i shot a whole roll of fireworks recently and every single one was utter rubbish. there's no way i'm showing you guys these photos, they're only good for the bin. but that won't stop me from trying again next time.

if others don't agree with your comments, take it on the chin, get up and learn for next time. but please, "nice shot", "great capture", "bleah...." or "snapshotish" don't count as valid comments/critiques. it does not show respect to the poster of the photo who basically puts his/her rep on the line.

Take a look at the macro section and you will understand.
People just love sugar.

Opps, tea break now, more sugar for my tea also. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.