How does a judge rule?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sniper ShutterBug

Dec 3, 2004
Bishan
Especially for death sentence cases, how do judges pass these onto criminals? Why is death sentence carried out on only Friday morning?

Especially for death sentence cases, how do judges pass these onto criminals? Why is death sentence carried out on only Friday morning?

So that the burial can start at the end of the week to minimise work disruption and stuff?

What are you asking?

A death sentence is passed like any other sentence. It is read out during sentencing.

What are you asking?

A death sentence is passed like any other sentence. It is read out during sentencing.

If I'm not wrong, the TS is asking 2 things.
1. How does a judge pass a death sentence?
2. Why the punishment (hanging) is carried out on Fridays?

I never knew about the friday thingy! :bigeyes:

as for how the judge pass the sentence, they go by precendence cases, if a previous judge of higher court gave 4 strokes and $5000 fine for a certain offence, the lower court must give the same sentence. Only a judge in the same court or higher can change the sentence but usually courts of the same level will just give the same sentence anyway.

There was this joke that went around my lecture that all judges had this little black 'formula book' of precedence cases and they just have to refer to pass cases and just give out whatever was given earlier.

didnt know the friday thing...

maybe the executor is working on part time basis...

mon to thur got other jobs

Death sentences are on the penal code are pretty specific. So the judges can "follow the book".

Friday thingy, I tink it's more of "traditional/custom" thing. Not for "logical" reasoning.

Status
Not open for further replies.