How do you maximise 35mm F1.8

But i got some issue with this link....

How come no men's pictures .... all woman .... yucks ...

Its more challenging to take men's pictures. Different lightings required. I read somewhere different lightings are applicable for men. For that matter, old people with alot of contours. Same lightings? The pics i see of old people looks diff from his pics.

I believe these women are professional models, they look too natural to disrobe in front of the photographer, esp if he is using 35 f 1.8, he would be standing quite close to the models. I wonder why he didnt use 50 mm or 85 mm lens, supposedly for protraits, vs 35 mm lens.

I m surprised even in bright day condition outdoor, he uses a higher ISO than 100 to take his pics. Given its protraits photos, the models are prob not moving in high speed, is there a need to take at a higher ISO?

Last edited:
Its more challenging to take men's pictures. Different lightings required. I read somewhere different lightings are applicable for men. For that matter, old people with alot of contours. Same lightings? The pics i see of old people looks diff from his pics.

I believe these women are professional models, they look too natural to disrobe in front of the photographer, esp if he is using 35 f 1.8, he would be standing quite close to the models. I wonder why he didnt use 50 mm or 85 mm lens, supposedly for protraits, vs 35 mm lens.

I m surprised even in bright day condition outdoor, he uses a higher ISO than 100 to take his pics. Given its protraits photos, the models are prob not moving in high speed, is there a need to take at a higher ISO?

Regardless of 35mm, 50mm or 85mm, it's just a tool. It's the person behind that camera.
The process is for learning, the result is for show.

Then like dat,

I will use a 1 mm lens on those models ...

i using the 35mm 1.8 mostly for portraits shot because i like to be close to my models :D

samueltan99 said:
I read on many internet website 35mm F1.8 is highly esteemed and recommended. Now that I have one, I like to seek your opinions when do you use 35mm F1.8 and how do you maximise the lens.

What is the difference in performance when I crank up the ISO on a zoom lens say on Nikon 1685, vs 35mm F1.8?

Is it normal that one uses a zoom lens most of the time, while a prime lens some of the time?

Many thanks for your advice.

Hmm... This thread been months already. Anyway here goes. I am tempted to say always shoot at f1.8 to maximize it but ah... that's not how it goes even though you may find yourself shooting wide open quite often. Rather, use it as often as possible. Find out what it can and can't do. Blend it into your style and preference workflow. To find out what it can do, you can start off by searching in photo sites like flickr for photos taken with lens. Hope this helps.

hi, me a new learner. may i ask if i were to take sun rise pix, i should use 18-105 or 35mm F1.8 ?

buzzmario said:
hi, me a new learner. may i ask if i were to take sun rise pix, i should use 18-105 or 35mm F1.8 ?

There's no fixed answer to this question. What are you taking during sunrise? The landscape? The far narrow horizon with the sun? Or simply the sun itself? I'd shot sunrise from 11mm to 500mm, it all depends what do you want to shoot.