How do you get others to know your works?

@2100

I salute you for your "foolishness" and "Solution Management" ability.

Without being a fool and finding a solution, nothing that you say is possible. Risk taking is another part of big pictures for those who want to operate their business. If Risk is not something that you like, don't even try.

--------

My general observation is, many people will throw their towel and give up before they even exhausted all their solution, some even too lazy to find the solution.

I can't stress enough that, it is entirely possible to make a living out of photography, but if the motivation is driving purely monetary gain in the beginning, it is going to be hard work, not impossible.

However, nothing beats the proper planning like what Kentwong81 has mentioned.

The funny thing about marketing is this... people are looking for ways to market their service... BUT... 1. They don't know who to market it to and 2. They don't know if they have a "Product" that they like to "sell".

Sorry to say this, but you can't sell AIR... since it is given to us FREE from GOD. however, you can sell "Purifier" to take away those "Junk" inside the air.

So just think about it... What do you have and who do you target, if you can identify the minimum of these 2, ask yourself, does your target market want what you are selling?

Stop DREAMING and do something... Even if you know "IT", you still can't be successful without doing "IT". "IT" I refer to business knowledge.

Work Hard, work smart and you shall be rewarded with "Luck". But don't depend on it.

Regards,

Hart

At the end of the day, I believe we will still fall back to the question...for passion or survival...am I right?

No, it is business. :thumbsup:

Passion is when you shoot. Photography business is 5 percent photography, 95% business.

Hart

No, it is business. :thumbsup:

Passion is when you shoot. Photography business is 5 percent photography, 95% business.

Hart

wow....5% versus 95%...thats a great differences....interested to hear more about it.

Hey I'm just starting out in the wedding photography business.

Would any kind soul like to share how you get your name out?
Does it just includes getting your photos critiqued on clubsnap?

Do anyone know how you can get yourself listed as a vendor on websites like Singaporebrides or Wedding Tweets?

Do they charge money?

Thanks so much in advance!

You might consider FaceBook advertisement, only S$25 or less per month.

just a little add on to what Hart has said.

I've been in this coming 10 years, Im getting tired, i'm not famous and i'm not rich. i get by daily being able to sustain rent, 3 meals and a little luxury here and there. Nothing much else. What does it say about doing photography?

Many people think its really that easy to just come in and "market" themselves as a professional photography with amazing services. Not products but SERVICES. And what happens when the demand for good products come in? or better yet what happens when the demand for good VALUES come in? What will you eat then?

Many of us start by wanting the artist in us get our work seen. then we get reliant on it and slowly after some time, months, years, realise we can't put food on the table. Then we panic. Try and get our acts together, to learn the business proper. All so just to become that artist we started out from again before we retire.

Times have changed. People these days just jump straight into the business part. No experience, no good value, some maybe even no good portfolio. Just a great set of teeth and a silky smooth talk to sell their way through. So, what's gonna happen when your world crash? When your wife asks you "when can we move out of your parent's place?" what you gonna do?

The "realest" advice i can give to you is literally "Don't be stupid, the world is not that easy" Think about your survival and reality first, then think about your ideals.

@2100

I salute you for your "foolishness" and "Solution Management" ability.

Without being a fool and finding a solution, nothing that you say is possible. Risk taking is another part of big pictures for those who want to operate their business. If Risk is not something that you like, don't even try.

I guess one thing that is common to most jobs/incomes is that there may come a stage whereby you hit a mid-life crisis. Already quit my job, need a change. I'm sort of early, after ~12 years in the corporate world....I've reached the stage where I am beginning to find it hard to find jobs. Luckily the job market is still very good now. ;p

I'm thinking of open another small business with my in-laws but its not local. Want to keep everything flexible.

MAybe its foolishness peppered with a lot of hungry-ness. ;p

Hey, I think Chris raised a good point "what if the wife asks when is it time to move to a bigger house", or perhaps a bit scaled down "when is it time to take the whole family to Japan for some fun-filled snow seeing" or "when are we renovating the house". I think generally people want to move up a bit. Not sure if you can see yourself 10-20 years from now - but its good to have a plan I guess.

I haven't given much though about this, but does anybody find it more and more difficult be it in the corporate world or business world to make money nowadays compared to last time? Don't know if its got anything to do with the widening income gap - masses more stringent with their spending.

Last edited:
Some companies like Keppel still pay many months bonuses though. These bonuses should be enough for you to buy two full frame bodies, a few FX/L lenses, flashes, advertising costs, etc if you are lucky to be working there :bsmilie:

Hey, I think Chris raised a good point "what if the wife asks when is it time to move to a bigger house", or perhaps a bit scaled down "when is it time to take the whole family to Japan for some fun-filled snow seeing" or "when are we renovating the house". I think generally people want to move up a bit. Not sure if you can see yourself 10-20 years from now - but its good to have a plan I guess.

I haven't given much though about this, but does anybody find it more and more difficult be it in the corporate world or business world to make money nowadays compared to last time? Don't know if its got anything to do with the widening income gap - masses more stringent with their spending.

the discussion is off topic liao and presume TS is a male, can we stick to TS question of "how do you to get others know your work?" thank you.

kentwong81 said:
Some companies like Keppel still pay many months bonuses though. These bonuses should be enough for you to buy two full frame bodies, a few FX/L lenses, flashes, advertising costs, etc if you are lucky to be working there :bsmilie:

Who in the right mind working in keppel with 9 mths bonus would think of doing photography full time? Unless super hate the job. Those engineer can smell a $40-60k bonus this year. An amount many photographers dream about earning in a span of 2-3 years.

Last edited:
wow..thanks so much for the insights on starting out on a career in photography.
Hmm..sorry im kinda a summary kind of person, so I'm roughly going to put the main points contributed by all you kind souls out there. Hopefully it'll help others like me too.

• Avoid providing free shoots
  • Work as a second photographer for someone
  • Get yourself listed on Bridal sites (WPJA, Wedding Tweets etc)
  • Let others critique your work on Forums and vice versa
  • Paid Advertising (do so only if you have deep pockets)
  • Link up with Bridal studios

am I missing our something?

May I add , self confidence and hard work

I read the thread topic and surprised that nobody suggest the below:

'flame others, especially at the top of the game, on their works'.

To get people to notice your work, you start by critising the top person; Then people will notice your work...

This advice is not for the average people and very differing from the ways/ beliefs that we are being brought up, so i expect everyone to be furious with me for this input... *chuckle chuckle* :)

In the past people keep asking me whether i shoot wedding or not?

For the past 6 months, people keep asking me what camera model to buy.

Yesteday a friend ask me how to shoot a wedding with her 7D camera.

In future, wedding photographer will be extremely flooded in the market. However the reputable/establised photographers will stand a niche for themselves while the bottom or newly inspired might be struggling to get to the top or live by.

I think they are plenty of advice for TS that is starting out. Take it from there and i wish you establish yourself in this industry. :thumbsup:

Well, some people might ask "weren't those established/reputable photographers a newbie before they climbed up to the top level?" Their successful stories and thoughtful advices will definitely inspire a lot of passionate newbies out there. If one start out the photography business because of fast money, it's not going to work in long term, while if one start out because of passion and willing to sacrifice time/energy to learn, they will eventually succeed in the future. This is what I believe in mind.

In the past people keep asking me whether i shoot wedding or not?

For the past 6 months, people keep asking me what camera model to buy.

Yesteday a friend ask me how to shoot a wedding with her 7D camera.

In future, wedding photographer will be extremely flooded in the market. However the reputable/establised photographers will stand a niche for themselves while the bottom or newly inspired might be struggling to get to the top or live by.

I think they are plenty of advice for TS that is starting out. Take it from there and i wish you establish yourself in this industry. :thumbsup:

'flame others, especially at the top of the game, on their works'.

To get people to notice your work, you start by critising the top person; Then people will notice your work...

if u are good enough then that person, then this method surely pulls off :thumbsup:

what i can forsee (just my opinion), there may be a shift in future. shift as in, reputable/established photographers (some) may take a backseat and switching to giving talks/courses/coaching to aspiring photographers with their own experience. So that opens up another new market.

:)

Well, some people might ask "weren't those established/reputable photographers a newbie before they climbed up to the top level?" Their successful stories and thoughtful advices will definitely inspire a lot of passionate newbies out there. If one start out the photography business because of fast money, it's not going to work in long term, while if one start out because of passion and willing to sacrifice time/energy to learn, they will eventually succeed in the future. This is what I believe in mind.

You know, I think that is a really excellent idea! But of course if you arent good enough, I think you'd be flamed like hell :/

You might consider FaceBook advertisement, only S$25 or less per month.

I've looked at FB ads but the price/click is like almost $1! Any one has any comment about using FB as an advertising platform?