How can you tell a good client from a bad client?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sion

For a new photographer starting out what are the things to look out for in sourcing new clients?

I start the ball rolling by putting in a few points here:

1. Do not overcommit to too many or big jobs to a client until you see how the first few jobs are being paid.

2. Ask around about the creditability of the new client. (This is going to be difficult)

3. Ask for a deposit (which as a new comer you may not be able to dictate)

4. You can't tell a book from its cover. Some bad pay masters have the most flashiest offices.

Sion,

Are you referring to commercial photography ? ... or wedding /bridal photography ?

The former is B2B, while the latter is B2C

[ Btw, welcome to the Club !! :bsmilie: ] :thumbsup:

Sion,

Are you referring to commercial photography ? ... or wedding /bridal photography ?

The former is B2B, while the latter is B2C

[ Btw, welcome to the Club !! :bsmilie: ] :thumbsup:

Thanks.

Most probably the clients will be small ad agencies and graphic designers. Event and wedding photography is not my area of expertise.

Fortunately I won't be competing with you guys in Singpapore. :) The market in Sydney is more fragmented allowing small timers to nibble a small piece of action.

From my experiences ( many years ago ), the top three industry that are "bad" pay-masters

[1] Publishers [ 6 months or more ] :nono:
[2] Hotels [ 5 months or more ] :thumbsd:
[3] Advertising / Design Agencies [ 4 months or more ] :sweat:

Anyway, if dealing with smaller companies, they could help in expedite the payments, however, larger companies are the worst ... ahahaha ! :bsmilie:

[ Btw, your brand of humour is actually suited for bridal/wedding photography ... really ! ]

to me I always ask for a deposit of 20% upfront upon singing of agreement prior to the whole assignment, something you need to dictate and show your client that you have some stand and principle in your trade.

imho no business is better than bad business, which I believe many kakis here can relate to.

Easy. They pay you everything up front and tell you to take your time in delivering the albums.

:thumbsup: : those who can tell what they want and doesn't leave you guessing.

:thumbsd: : those who keep telling they don't like this and that yet can't give any suggestions.

:thumbsd: : those who demand many things yet not willing to shell out expenses.

ermmm... not sure if i'll get flame from this.. but the angpow (red packet) you recieve for 'heng heng' can roughly (yes only roughly) gauge for the above question.. well, at least there's a little difference between one who put $4 and another $80 inside..

Status
Not open for further replies.