How can I Do this Better

sadiqsabia

May 3, 2009
Punggol
Sorry if i am posting in the wrong thread. I just need advise on what i can do to make this picture better. Tooj this photo using Canon 7d 15-85 lens with polarizer filter attached. I have not done much processing except cropping the image.

Punggol_End_1.jpg

Adise would be greatly appreciated and how can i PP to make this better or this shot is hopeless.

sharpness. The picture looked kind of blurry or rather just lack that critical sharpness

Sharpness can never be accurately judged by looking at a 750 x 600 jpeg.

If you think the image is not sharp enough, there's a few things I can think of off hand.

1) Support. Was the camera and lens adequately supported and stabilised? Used a tripod? Was te tripod firmly planted to the ground? Was it adequate to support your setup? Was it windy?

2) Exposure. This image is sure is overexposed with highlights clipping all over. The leads to lack of local contrast, which in turn, dictates one's perception of sharpness. So do work on the exposure. The clipping highlights also wiped out details which could have been recorded otherwise.

adjusted1.jpg

This is the best that I can do with photoshop.

I agree with Kit.

1) It's blur. Maybe you should use tripod?

2) Overexposure. Should reduce the exposure time?

3) I find that it's grainy too. Is your ISO setting too high?

4) Composition is important too. Think it will be better to watch the 1/3 rule. Horizon is somewhere near the middle of picture. Try observe 1/3 rule for this?

Just my few cents worth. :)

This is the best that I can do with photoshop.

I agree with Kit.

1) It's blur. Maybe you should use tripod?

2) Overexposure. Should reduce the exposure time?

3) I find that it's grainy too. Is your ISO setting too high?

4) Composition is important too. Think it will be better to watch the 1/3 rule. Horizon is somewhere near the middle of picture. Try observe 1/3 rule for this?

Just my few cents worth. :)

Opsss! by the way point 2 and 3 is related. Once you lower your ISO setting can increase exposure time.

Hi,

Hope you don't take this too hard.. but as you asked .. yes this shot is hopeless .. there is no point in trying to save a fail shot.. not unless it failed and becomes artistic .. anyway

Do note the point mentioned by Kit and Mysternaz

May suggest that if you are new to photography that you (if you like) join outing conducted by Bro ZerocoolAstra.

I have seen shot by the newbies from the recent outing and the shot looks good. From the outing and sharing learn curve can be shorten

Just my humble opinion
Cheers

Hi sadiqsabia,

Besides the technical errors others had mentioned, I also find the subject is rather weak. There are a lot of empty spaces and nothing to carry the picture. I couldn't tell what you're trying to shoot even after staring at it for a long while. It can't be the jetty, as there is nothing interesting about it. It can't be the people on the jetty, as I can only see moving shadows. It can't be the sky, as there is nothing in it - no sunset, no interesting looking clouds, no sea birds, etc. It can't be the sea, as it looks like just a pool of dead water and no interesting waves. It can't be the ships at the background, as they are so far away and looks like some blurry mess.

Taking pictures is like writing essay - before shooting, ask yourself what are your trying to tell the viewers. Cheers and hope you are not discouraged. Keep shooting. :)

this is over exposed.

other than that the colors are way too saturated.

Thanks everyone for their honest feedback. I think i should go on a newbie outine one of these days. Like many of the seniors mentoned i think i should work on the theme part first. Thank you.

Thanks everyone for their honest feedback. I think i should go on a newbie outine one of these days. Like many of the seniors mentoned i think i should work on the theme part first. Thank you.

dont worry about the theme or what, no doubt a picture without theme is deem as souless... however you might want to get a clear control of the settings in every possible situation to get a high keeper rate of your photos... so dont worry about the theme 1st, go out and practise more!