Hotshoe cover - is it necessary?

Hotshoe cover - do you use it?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

huggable

Nov 2, 2004
East side
Saw some forumer looking for hotshoe cover for the cam. Makes me wonder, apart from protecting against dust, are hotshoe covers really necessary? Unlike lens cover, the performance of the metal contacts will not be affected by fingerprints. In fact I find it a little troublesome to have to remove the hotshoe cover (and risk losing it) whenever I need to attach a flash.

Your views?

It's gd to have a hotshoe cover to protect the contacts from the elements but too bad Canon cams do not come with it. I know some Nikon ones do. Maybe all cams with hotshoe should have this feature. It's better to have this cap than not at all.

I think depend on the user.... some of them can like go into forested area or "jungle" to shoot and some of us just want to play safe..... the cover cost a few $ only... if good fren with the shop, may give you free when you buy things from them....... rather than to repair the contact point if anything happen... :bheart:

<<<In fact I find it a little troublesome to have to remove the hotshoe cover (and risk losing it) whenever I need to attach a flash.>>>

that is why, I alway wear bermuda with lots of pocket.... come in handy for this kind of situation... hotshoe cover, lens cap, battery etc...

well, the hot shoe cover helps to protect the contacts from the elements. You can always use a plastic sheet cut to size to use as cover. So far, all my nikon bodies comes with hot shoe cover.I normally just put the cover back when i finish with the flash.

For S$3 bucks... :thumbsup:

Actually, I'm not sure of it's usefulness too... but like I said, for S$3-00...

better be safe.

where do they sell it? n sry to ask this here... where do u guys recommend for purchasing any cam-related stuff (equipment, lenses, filters, accessories, etc).

attended a short course for Nikon D70 by Steven Yee.

His story. His D70 went thru I think 10-13 cycles of 9999 shots. Nothing wrong. He learned a lesson when slight drizzle short circuited his camera after rain got onto the hotshoe.......Camera spoilt. After his course, I immediately got one myself. haha Kiasu

Its at most $8 for Nikon Original and third party ones cost lesser. Why save on such. Even if lose, also ok mah. Just skip lunch or dinner can cover back liaoz. Whats it compared to repair cost. hahaha

Just 0.000002 cents worth.

Regards,
tltan

derelictz said:
where do they sell it? n sry to ask this here... where do u guys recommend for purchasing any cam-related stuff (equipment, lenses, filters, accessories, etc).

For the hotshoe cover, you can look for PPCP in Buy/Sell or Consumer corner. I think he has both Nikon BS-1 as well as the third party one.

Regards,
tltan

Actually I was thinking a hotshoe mounted leveling gauge might be more useful. It helps to protect the hotshoe mount and helps to ensure your horizon is level for landscape shot. I wonder how much will that cost?

i was thinking of 1 for my FZ-20 (no DSLR yet)...
any idea where i can get it n for how much?

Hi I think the camera workshop at peninsular plaza is selling some.. Not too sure about the price though.. You may wan to take a look or call them at 63361956..:)

derelictz said:
i was thinking of 1 for my FZ-20 (no DSLR yet)...
any idea where i can get it n for how much?

aaron80 said:
Hi I think the camera workshop at peninsular plaza is selling some.. Not too sure about the price though.. You may wan to take a look or call them at 63361956..:)

alright.. may actually be going down today if time permits me to.. thanks for the info!
might be getting a blower as well... any idea how much tat's gonna cost too? :embrass:

Hi I am going to get a blower too.. Either today or over the weekend le.. I know the blower is going for $10-$12 at Cathay Photo..:)

derelictz said:
alright.. may actually be going down today if time permits me to.. thanks for the info!
might be getting a blower as well... any idea how much tat's gonna cost too? :embrass:

C O N G R A T U L A T I O N S to you when you short-circuit your camera due to no cheapo hot-shoe-cover which you find a hassle to lose it. 500xhotshoe cover = 1x D50.

tltan said:
attended a short course for Nikon D70 by Steven Yee.

His story. His D70 went thru I think 10-13 cycles of 9999 shots. Nothing wrong. He learned a lesson when slight drizzle short circuited his camera after rain got onto the hotshoe.......Camera spoilt. After his course, I immediately got one myself. haha Kiasu

Its at most $8 for Nikon Original and third party ones cost lesser. Why save on such. Even if lose, also ok mah. Just skip lunch or dinner can cover back liaoz. Whats it compared to repair cost. hahaha

Just 0.000002 cents worth.

Regards,
tltan

hey was abt to post this when i saw your reply

i too attended Steven Yee's course, that was what he advised too.

anyway i went back to my favourite retailer, he claims that hotshoe cover infact will trap moisture so he himself doesn't use it. But since i wanted it, he gave me e original Nikon BS-1 cover anyway. Nice chap :)

Status
Not open for further replies.