Hong Kong Disneyland

implusive

Dec 5, 2009
Hi guys just need advice with regards to the above. I will be bringing my 17-50mm for sure but was wondering if there was a need for 70-200?

depends on what style of photo you want to take. For family, i think 17-50mm will be more than enough provided you are lucky enough not to get a human crowding behind your shoots. 70-200mm will be too tight for you to take with the characters with the limited space.

Cool bro.. Never been there so don't know if there will be rides or things to shoot that will require the 70-200.. Thanks!

if you bring a tripod for the fireworks at 8pm. You have to stand really far because NO TRIPOD allow at the prime area of the fireworks viewing spot.

robinlimkp said:
if you bring a tripod for the fireworks at 8pm. You have to stand really far because NO TRIPOD allow at the prime area of the fireworks viewing spot.

I was there last yr, went to the viewing square real early when there's light and got myself a spot right at the front just behind the queue line. Was able to set up my tripod low to shoot the firework.

For my case, a 25-105 and an UWA on a corp body was just nice.

Cool.. Well looks like the 17-50 will be more than sufficient.. Thanks! Perhaps I should bring a monopod? ;)

implusive said:
Cool.. Well looks like the 17-50 will be more than sufficient.. Thanks! Perhaps I should bring a monopod? ;)

Bring a monopod...it may be useful :)

Hmmm... I should correct my earlier sentence.. Not bring a monopod because I don't own one.. Will buy one when I'm there..

Thanks one and all..

The risk of everything getting stolen, the strain it takes to lift it on those long days of traveling and the fact that the more lenses you take the more time you spend changing lenses and the less time you enjoy your trip has taught me to take the ‘less is more’ approach.

Hi bro,

We communicated. I did that many years ago with 2 X Nikon F90X and three lenses: 24mm F2.8 (Sigma) , 50mm 1.8 NAF, 85mm 1.8 Nikkor.
A new zoom and DSLR can be doing a similar job, but large aperture will be useful. I did not have any problem then, and a Gitzo light was necessary.

My boy in picture now is a teenager taller than me (bigger also!) Time flies. ;)

Parade106000128.jpg

F1000008.jpg

ParkF10000013.jpg

Last edited:
A 24mm lens (35mm film) was needed. Don't forget the fireworks. Camera on a Gitzo/novoflex head and shot with 50mm lens.

ParkF10000014.jpg

F1000027.jpg

FireW103000131.jpg

Last edited:
In Disneyland....there are a few scenarios you'll need to consider:

1) If you want to shoot the theme park, buildings and the hotel itself....you'll need as wide as possible
2) For parade....zoom is desirable otherwise you might have plenty to crop in post process
3) Indoor ride, shows and night scene....you need high high ISO and fast lens....flash is a no no.....

My last trip, I brought two lenses....a 17-35 and 28-75.....already find them quite heavy and my sholder sore as there are quite a lot of walking......on the second day....I just left the 17-35 in hotel safe......If I ever go again, I will use a in one wonder....28-300 instead :)

Last edited:
Hi there

Just been there with my family. Had 3 lens with me 35mm prime, 24-70mm, 10-22mm on a 1.6 crop body.

When attending theme park, must travel light otherwise the camera gear will wear you down. I have a 2 days ticket, so this is what I did:
Day 1 - 35mm and 10-22mm+tripod for portraiture and wide angle shots like fireworks.
Day 2 - 24-70mm for portraiture, general shots.

Summer is hot in HK, so don't bother with too much warm clothing. But remember to bring umbrella/rain coat, unless you want to buy and use pricey disney umbrellas (which are not too bad really...).

Have fun and enjoy!

Thanks Jon great job in safekeeping your photos! Thanks one and all bros for your advice.

one thing i love on my travels, gorillapod!!!

great for ur fireworks too!