Hong Kong Camera Gears Shopping Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure if the Canon HK local set flash still carries international warranty. Anyone buy in HK recently (last 3 months) care to comment? I can go check with the shops next time I go camera shopping.

pardon me for asking this though I did came across someone asking the same but I can't find it after 1 hr of search..
buying gear from hongkong, given a super high end D3s body, Singapore may sell nearly SGD6700 while HK now can be SGD5600..

since nikon body warranty from HK will not be covered in NSC SG, what's the diff of getting 行or 水good?
I know 水equals to our grey set but other than this, any other differences? I do not travel to hk often so warranty do not benefit me anymore if I get a hk set.
水do not means pirated or imitation set right else they wont cost just merely that few hundreds to near 1k different from 行

水 means grey set in hk. No different if we get local or grey set in hk if there's no intl warranty for the local set u are getting.

thanks roger for your update.. in this case more saving

is the Sony Warranty policy still the same in HK for international warranty? Because i heard from some people saying they no longer issue the warranty card..

my bad, i scrolled too fast to even miss the very basic intro of this thread..
in this case, buying a grey set so much cheaper given its useless warranty in singapore.. but I assume that even NSC SG do not recognise the grey set here, they can still service it with charge right.. i am just worried that NSC do not take in.

Hi,

Post #3 stated Tokina has international warranty but there is another thread (the Tokina 11-16mm lens thread) saying that Hong Kong Tokina no longer has international warranty. Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks.

my bad, i scrolled too fast to even miss the very basic intro of this thread..
in this case, buying a grey set so much cheaper given its useless warranty in singapore.. but I assume that even NSC SG do not recognise the grey set here, they can still service it with charge right.. i am just worried that NSC do not take in.
Nikon SG will treat the gray sets as out of warranty equipment and charge labor and parts on the service.

Hi,

Post #3 stated Tokina has international warranty but there is another thread (the Tokina 11-16mm lens thread) saying that Hong Kong Tokina no longer has international warranty. Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks.
Perhaps someone with recent purchase of Tokina lenses from HK can help clarify.

The Tokina distributor told me the HK local has 2 warranty cards inside the box, One issued by Tokina Japan (2-year International warranty) and another one issued by the local distributor (Laikok Photographic Products HK Ltd). The local warranty is 3 years.

If it is a gray set, perhaps these warranty cards no longer are in the box?

so which is the best shop that i should just go for instead of scouting around? :)

am looking for some Panny m4/3 lens

If you are looking for lowest price, go check www.price.com.hk but some of those shops offering low price are either online stores or located in the hard to get places.

If you do not have much time to check around but just don't want to get cheated, then you may want to visit Wing Shing/Man Shing in Mongkok. They may not offer the lowest price but give consistent quotes and accept credit card payment without surcharge. And, they are one of the biggest camera store in HK.

thanks! i shall drop by Wing Shing/Man Shing in Mongkok!

is the Sony Warranty policy still the same in HK for international warranty? Because i heard from some people saying they no longer issue the warranty card..
CS bro can u help ensure or update me/us about this issue?

Hi CS, thanks for a great guide.
For the benefit of other readers, I went to Wing Shing at Mong Kok yesterday (August 4, 2011) and purchased a Sony Alpha SLT-A55 twin lens kit (SLT-A55vy). The service was excellent and the staff very knowledgeable.
I paid HK$7,200 (approximately US$920) - a price I was pleased with - and the store threw in a number of extras, though to be honest they were not that great - an 8Gb (Class 4) memory card, a somewhat flimsy tripod and a not very good camera bag.

@TWmilkteaTW - I purchased a Sony Alpha SLT-A55vy yesterday (August 4, 2011) and DID receive a Sony warranty card - hope that helps.

Hi

I am going to HK in Oct and have emailed Tin Cheung on international warranty for Tokina 11-16mm.
They mentioned they have stock and international warranty is 2 years.
However, I am afraid that by the time I reached HK the stock has finished.
Any ideas whether they reserve stock for pple? I emailed them and no replies since...

Btw, does anyone know where can we purchase lens mug in HK?
Please advise, thanks

Hi

I am going to HK in Oct and have emailed Tin Cheung on international warranty for Tokina 11-16mm.
They mentioned they have stock and international warranty is 2 years.
However, I am afraid that by the time I reached HK the stock has finished.
Any ideas whether they reserve stock for pple? I emailed them and no replies since...

Btw, does anyone know where can we purchase lens mug in HK?
Please advise, thanks
HK shops normally do not reserve stock for customers for a long period of time unless there is a substantial deposit paid. They maybe able to hold a lens for a couple of days without deposit, but not for a couple of months.

For lens mug, you can try Sim City in Mongkok. There are a lot of small shops there selling camera related stuff and I am sure you can find lens mug there.

The warranty practice for Sony HK is still the same as I have stated in page 1. After the purchase, need to bring the local warranty card to Sony service centre to exchange a 1-year international warranty card. This applies to camera body and lenses but not flash.

If your friend had purchased a gray set, then there might not be any warranty card in the box.

HK shops normally do not reserve stock for customers for a long period of time unless there is a substantial deposit paid. They maybe able to hold a lens for a couple of days without deposit, but not for a couple of months.

For lens mug, you can try Sim City in Mongkok. There are a lot of small shops there selling camera related stuff and I am sure you can find lens mug there.

Thanks alot for the advice CS, btw, did you know whether Tokina in HK still offer international warranty.
I emailed the tokina authorised dealer and no replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.