Hong Kong Camera Gears Shopping Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
lhnerd said:
anyone recently bought a 5d mk2 from hk?could advise whats the price like thanks.

Was in HK few weeks back and the 5d2 was sold out in those shops selling at street price...not sure about situation now...
but price has certainly gone up.

so roughly whats the street price like the last few weeks?

Hi people.. will be going HK at dec.. i believe most of u..test the lens before purchasing right? Isit ok if i dont buy it after testing? or must i say im going to purchase then they will allow me to test the lens.
Becos im understand that every new box have a sticker tab on them..

lhnerd said:
so roughly whats the street price like the last few weeks?

I recall it was equivalent to sgd28xx

TWmilkteaTW said:
Hi people.. will be going HK at dec.. i believe most of u..test the lens before purchasing right? Isit ok if i dont buy it after testing? or must i say im going to purchase then they will allow me to test the lens.
Becos im understand that every new box have a sticker tab on them..

Hk camera shop owners are generally business like, no nonsense and can be nasty at times...I will suggest u make up ur mind on the lens before asking to test it. If there is nothing wrong with the llens and u walk out without buying, the shop owner may pass some remarks.

Yea i understand. We have to make up on our mind what, which we want to purchase n not going there to test afew or something like that..
the lens can be fine.. but my point was if it turn out to be not the way i thought it will be on the camera n decide not to purchase it..will it be ok. lol.
because i heard from friend saying. U have to purchase (or at least show them u have the cash ) then u can test.
but problem is If i dont test it..how i know how its gonna be like n if ill like it or not.
anyway thanks for your reply ^^

TWmilkteaTW said:
Yea i understand. We have to make up on our mind what, which we want to purchase n not going there to test afew or something like that..
the lens can be fine.. but my point was if it turn out to be not the way i thought it will be on the camera n decide not to purchase it..will it be ok. lol.
because i heard from friend saying. U have to purchase (or at least show them u have the cash ) then u can test.
but problem is If i dont test it..how i know how its gonna be like n if ill like it or not.

I don't think it is ok. I guess what you are describing is "try out" the lens vs "test" or "inspect" the lens. So far the only three places i know that u can do that are (1) B&H store in new york (2) big electronic stores in japan like yodabashi, bic camera, sakuraya where they have various lenses on displays, and (3) this small shop called john 3:16 at funan where they are supposed to be super friendly and very generous with letting u try their wares.

But otherwisr, most shops will not be happy.... not just in HK but in general. No need to explain why they will be unhappy...

Try out the lenses and try out a brand new lens coming out of the box are two different things. If the store has demo lenses, it is quite ok to ask them to let you try it out without any obligations. However, if you ask them to open up a new box and try out the lens, that means you intend to buy the lens unless there is something wrong with that particular lens.

Some of the electronic chain stores have quite a few popular lenses on demo so there is no problem testing out those since they are not brand new lenses. For Canon (not sure about Nikon or Sony), you can go to Vivo city showroom to try the lens out before making your HK trip, you might not have enough time to try out the lenses when you are traveling.

Try out the lenses and try out a brand new lens coming out of the box are two different things. If the store has demo lenses, it is quite ok to ask them to let you try it out without any obligations. However, if you ask them to open up a new box and try out the lens, that means you intend to buy the lens unless there is something wrong with that particular lens.

Some of the electronic chain stores have quite a few popular lenses on demo so there is no problem testing out those since they are not brand new lenses. For Canon (not sure about Nikon or Sony), you can go to Vivo city showroom to try the lens out before making your HK trip, you might not have enough time to try out the lenses when you are traveling.
cool.. yea thats the key word im looking for "Demo lens".. hmm ok. Yea i know and understand its very nasty n negative for anyone to request salesperson open a new 1.. and u dont buy despite the item is working fine. Hmm ok Thanks CS Tan.

anyone know the price for tamron 90mm in hk.. will be going to hk tis weekend.. and for the international warranty will be how long?

Just for Information: Bought a Nikon 24-70mm F2.8 with international warranty at HK$13200. Payable by credit card. I got another cash quote of HK$13000. If you are interested, I think it is rather worth it.

Hi CS Tan

Are the prices of lens still hiked up from the Tsunami?

Coming over in Aug to BBB

I am staying at Royal Plaza, 193 Prince Edward Road West, Kowloon, Hong Kong

What would be closest place to shop for gear?
I am looking at Nikon D7000 body and other assorted Lens

Many many thanx in advanced

Hi, since you are there, could you help check how much is the Leica M9 body in hk? If it is convenient... I am not sure if it is cheaper there vs the shops here...thanks!

Hi. Does anyone have any idea how much a pack of Fujifilm Instax Mini film costs in HK? And where can I get the best price for them? Thanks!

Bumping for help! :)

Hi CS Tan

Are the prices of lens still hiked up from the Tsunami?

Coming over in Aug to BBB

I am staying at Royal Plaza, 193 Prince Edward Road West, Kowloon, Hong Kong

What would be closest place to shop for gear?
I am looking at Nikon D7000 body and other assorted Lens

Many many thanx in advanced

If you check out the locations on the first page of this thread and plot them on a map, you'll realise that most of the Mongkok ones are within walking distance of Royal Plaza...

actually, you can call them up using skype. Shouldn't cost too much (and I am lazy=P). I suppose it is different from getting quotes in store, but i must say that these HKers are not the bargaining sort. They usually quote me a "take it or leave it" price. I have bought one lens and a flash from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.