Hobby - Photography: Only for those with $$$?

Hobby - Photography: Is it ONLY for those with $$$?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I took up photography in 1991, I was really in a bad way - just quit a job and no income... :cry: so, I think no, it isn't just for the rich it's for anyone who has the passion for this Art Form. '

Photography imbues in you the ability and natural inclination to Observe, Look, and not just see the world around us but take particular Notice of things, people, and situations as well as the emotions certain scenes or scenarios stirs in us. This is the wonder of Photography, the appreciation, awe, and respect for the physical world we live in.

When I started, I never imagined that I would now have a collection of so many lenses, flashes, bodies, and little this and thats... and if I count how much I have thrown into this 'hobby' of mine, I feel nauseas... :sweat:

Huh, since you have money to buy the gadgets, that means you have money now what.

Actually I do think it's a hobby for those with money. If you look at 3rd world countries where people are starving, photography isn't exactly one of the most popular hobbies eh? Cheap startup costs hobbies like football is. Face it, it's an expensive money sucking hobby that only those with a willingness to spend will get into.

Huh, since you have money to buy the gadgets, that means you have money now what.

Actually I do think it's a hobby for those with money. If you look at 3rd world countries where people are starving, photography isn't exactly one of the most popular hobbies eh? Cheap startup costs hobbies like football is. Face it, it's an expensive money sucking hobby that only those with a willingness to spend will get into.

Alamak, if you compare with 3rd World Countries of course IT IS an EXPENSIVE hobby lah!
Haiyooo... :rolleyes:

With Digtal Photography ones need a computer, software and storage as well. Ones need more $$$ to do photography nowadays.

In the film day, the startup cost is low but high running cost.
In digital age, the startup cost is high but low to no running cost.

Photography can be cheaper to startup and running if you know how. :)

:cool: TIME = MONEY :)

i think you really need $$$ to get the lens and body!;p

what do you quantify as $$$ ?
Is it $2K? Is it $1K? Is it $500?

2nd-hand D40 + 18-55mm kit lens + dry box + 2 x 2GB SD card + SB400 + Benro tripod should still come in under $1000. Don't tell me this combo can't take good photos??

Of course if you insist on getting f2.8 lenses, for sure it requires a substantially bigger budget la.

Nowadays the camera packages are pretty reasonably tagged. Most of us probably do not have a real need the additional fancy lenses anyway.

If you got the $$$ u can go ahead. Else having a kit lens is pretty functional and last a long way until either one gives up working / shooting

It will be expensive because you end up making it expensive.

Ryan

I've met a few people in this forum, and invariably the issue of cost always crops up in our banter. So here's my $0.02 worth (give or take a 7% inflation rate ;p)..

Most people have the assumption that photography is expensive. In the days of yore and films, nothing could be further from the truth. Film was a running cost, along with processing and storage costs (photo albums, film folders, etc). And the lack of a saturated market ensured that the price of cameras remain fairly constant on high prices (mainly due to a less well-off economy and population).

However, the arrival of computer technology and digital storage heralded an unprecedented shakeup of the photography market. Prices came down, equipment became better, and as the population became more well-off, it became a hobby which almost everyone and enyone could take up.

Now, then how did this "high cost" issue came into the picture? Let's take a look at an example of a newcomer, P..

P has never owned a camera, though he sometimes uses his phone camera to take candid shots. So he decides that perhaps he should get a DSLR package so that he can take better shots, and join photo outings with his friends who do have DSLRs..

So, P picks up an average DSLR package for a $1000. Basic 10MP model, a regular 14-45 kit lens, 2 batteries, a battery holder and a 4GB card. Plus he got a free 3-section tripod that is about 1.5m fully extended. So he's ready to go shoot some photos..

While he's out with his friends at the Zoo on his first photog outing, he quickly realises that he can't take closeups of the animals as well as his friends. Well, sure with a 14-45 you are not going to get the nose hairs of the Zebra. So he decides that he's going to shell out about $600 for a 70-300.

On the next outing with his friends at the Botanic Gardens, he's happily snapping away with both lenses, when he realises that his friend could take a high quality closeup shot of the bee hovering on the flower. He finds out that such shots can be taken...if you have a macro lens. Armed with that insight, he shells out about $900 for a good one.

So, now equipped with 3 lenses on his next outing, he follows them downtown on a walkabout shoot, and is suddenly confronted with a broad scene to shoot which he can't squeeze into his 14-45. Well he could...if he could float on water. He notices a fellow photog managed to shoot it..and is introduced into the world of the 11mm. Yup, you guessed it...another $1000.

So, after spending $3500 on the DSLR kit and 3 lenses, he suddenly realises that he can't take good shots of the F1 night race, cos the lenses were 5.6, and to the camera, the lights aren't really that bright. Plus the high ISO makes his subjects grainy, which he deems is not good enough, considering what the F1 magazine photos were showing..

The next morning, he mortgages part of his house in order to buy a 600mm F2 for the next night race. But bad news was soon to come...a rival brand has just released the new DSLR with an ISO of 500000000. So there really won't be a need for a $14,000 lens after all...as long as he can sell it all away and buy the rival brand.

You can see where this story is now headed. Now look around you, and identify that fellow in your group who has already embarked on this path. And don't lie :nono:...there is always at least one person you know who is like P. So, who's ringing up the cost here? P or the camera company? Is it his own impatience or did the company put a gun to his head?

Here's my advice, which I have given out countless times, to people who want to start photography...as a HOBBY / PASTIME. (Professionals need not apply):

1. Get a DSLR kit YOU feel comfortable..not what the neighbour's dog deems good. Its YOUR money, YOUR hands and YOUR decision. You can ask for experiences and details from fellow photogs...but nothing beats going down to the shop and holding it in your hand. You don't ask your friend to help you pick a wife, do you?

2. Stick with the kit lens. I repeat, stick with the kit lens. Do not be tempted to spend additional money buying another lens...that will come later. Use the kit lens first.

3. Join as many photog outings as possible. It doesn't matter what sort. It could be models, night shoots, walkabouts, nature, architectural, studio...whatever it is, just join them. The reason is simple: YOU have to know the LIMITS of your own DSLR. YOU have to know your OWN limits. Keeping the camera in a glass cupboard does not work.

4. USE the camera, USE the camera, USE the camera. Do not be anal retentive and lose your sleep over a scratch on the camera body. You spent good money on it, so the least you can do is use it. If your intention in maintaining its perfect condition is to sell it away...go open a camera shop.

5. After at least A YEAR of shooting, sit down and decide what sort of themes or subjects are your favourite. Do not be a hero and try to shoot every single subject in the world...it is not possible. If you like cars and aircraft, you are probably into high-speed themes. If you like cosplays or models, you are geared more towards human portraits themes.

This is very important. The themes must be something you like...not what your friend or mother's uncles's son's girlfriend's pet monkey likes. Its all about YOU. Therefore do not force yourself into themes for stupid reasons..like "because I can take downblouse shots" or "I get free passes into concerts". Nothing's worse than shooting themes where your passion is like a dead fish.

6. Once you have decided on your fave themes, then spend money to buy camera gear specifically tailored for those themes. If you like nature shoots, then you might save your bucks for a F4 400mm or even a macro. Do not be distracted into spending money on other non-essential gear. You are a photographer first..not a camera whore.

and my last advice:

7. If you find yourself in a photog group consisting of camera/brand whores and pixel counters...GET THE HELL OUT!! Those people would not do you any favours, except putting "subtle" pressure and mindsets into you. You will end up always feeling just that little bit inferior because someone keeps on proudly proclaiming about the 400mm F2 lens.

REMEMBER, you shoot for yourself and nobody else. Nobody's going to give you a gold medal if you own every single mother lens in the catalogue. Nobody cares and I certainly don't give a rat's ass. You are shooting for your own enjoyment..the key word is ENJOYMENT. There is no reason to sell your whole family just to buy camera gear.

If you feel that its unfair that you can't capture the same shots as others...always remember this...LIFE IS UNFAIR!!

Lastly, have fun and shoot fun! :bsmilie:

Last edited:
hmm..very sound advise. In other words..sleep on it! ;):bsmilie:

This advise goes to every other hobby as well..at least true for me. Oh heck..right now I think I have to stop thinking about that zoom lens :embrass:

it depends. most important is you're interested.

if you dont have $$$$ but want to shoot, you still find a way to get an outdate used camera with some budget lens

while if you're loaded with cash, then you may get the pro camera coupled with premium lens. And the best part changing body for every pro camera lifecycle iterations:)

Once you have a computer, photography does not have to be expensive. Once you get your camera and memory card, you do not have to buy film. You do not even have to print yoru pictures to see how they look so that saves costs. It can be if you allow it to- there is almost no limit to what you CAN spend on photography.

If you take the time, you can get quality from a P&S which is as good as a DSLR system- provided you learn how to use your equipment. Like macros? P&S cameras are usually pretty good at macro. One of mine:
Be_Flower.jpg

Going to the zoo? Yes- sometimes you would like a longer lens, but you can still get some quite good shots with a P&S there too. I like to take mine there.
Hog_Trio.jpg

Falling_Asleep.jpg

Want a wider angle lens? Take several overlapping photos and create a panorama.
Rocky_Panorama1_700-1.jpg

Horseshoe_Panorama1.jpg

(for a bigger version of this one, go here http://www.pbase.com/jeffryz/image/104927217/original and click "original" below the picture).

This particular Fuji point and shoot 6 megapixel camera has been converted to shoot in infrared but you get the idea of quality you can get with a point and shoot camera if you try. Yes you can spend the money on more gear (which also means more weight to carry around besides more money) but you don't have to in order to get good photos. It is really up to you.

:thumbsup: straightforward clipperSG!!!!!

If you feel that its unfair that you can't capture the same shots as others...always remember this...LIFE IS UNFAIR!!

Well said bro.. but i really love that quote "LIFE IS UNFAIR" :bsmilie: just because one could not afford to buy his dream gears... :bsmilie:

Anyways, photography should not be an expensive hobby... It all depends on a person how to control your impulse on buying necessary or maybe unnecessary things as well.... photography is an incessant upgrade if you really want to be in a front row seat of having the most high tech gadget in the field of photography...

Just always bear in mind (we always hear and read this)... it is NOT really the equipment that makes a good photo... Its YOU...!!!

Just always bear in mind (we always hear and read this)... it is NOT really the equipment that makes a good photo... Its YOU...!!!

But, I believed that better equipment does help in getting better pics too (if you know the limits of your equipment well enough) in the long run even for a hobbyist. That also provide that you didn't thought of giving up this hobby yet.
But, how good (of a photographer) you want to become is all up to individual (very subjective). So, you make the call & don't blame anyone for the money you've invested in this hobby. Good luck & have fun nevertheless.:)
And the very last word as mentioned before: LIFE IS UNFAIR indeed.

Last edited:
I've met a few people in this forum, and invariably the issue of cost always crops up in our banter. So here's my $0.02 worth (give or take a 7% inflation rate ;p)..

Most people have the assumption that photography is expensive. In the days of yore and films, nothing could be further from the truth. Film was a running cost, along with processing and storage costs (photo albums, film folders, etc). And the lack of a saturated market ensured that the price of cameras remain fairly constant on high prices (mainly due to a less well-off economy and population).

However, the arrival of computer technology and digital storage heralded an unprecedented shakeup of the photography market. Prices came down, equipment became better, and as the population became more well-off, it became a hobby which almost everyone and enyone could take up.

Now, then how did this "high cost" issue came into the picture? Let's take a look at an example of a newcomer, P..

P has never owned a camera, though he sometimes uses his phone camera to take candid shots. So he decides that perhaps he should get a DSLR package so that he can take better shots, and join photo outings with his friends who do have DSLRs..

So, P picks up an average DSLR package for a $1000. Basic 10MP model, a regular 14-45 kit lens, 2 batteries, a battery holder and a 4GB card. Plus he got a free 3-section tripod that is about 1.5m fully extended. So he's ready to go shoot some photos..

While he's out with his friends at the Zoo on his first photog outing, he quickly realises that he can't take closeups of the animals as well as his friends. Well, sure with a 14-45 you are not going to get the nose hairs of the Zebra. So he decides that he's going to shell out about $600 for a 70-300.

On the next outing with his friends at the Botanic Gardens, he's happily snapping away with both lenses, when he realises that his friend could take a high quality closeup shot of the bee hovering on the flower. He finds out that such shots can be taken...if you have a macro lens. Armed with that insight, he shells out about $900 for a good one.

So, now equipped with 3 lenses on his next outing, he follows them downtown on a walkabout shoot, and is suddenly confronted with a broad scene to shoot which he can't squeeze into his 14-45. Well he could...if he could float on water. He notices a fellow photog managed to shoot it..and is introduced into the world of the 11mm. Yup, you guessed it...another $1000.

So, after spending $3500 on the DSLR kit and 3 lenses, he suddenly realises that he can't take good shots of the F1 night race, cos the lenses were 5.6, and to the camera, the lights aren't really that bright. Plus the high ISO makes his subjects grainy, which he deems is not good enough, considering what the F1 magazine photos were showing..

The next morning, he mortgages part of his house in order to buy a 600mm F2 for the next night race. But bad news was soon to come...a rival brand has just released the new DSLR with an ISO of 500000000. So there really won't be a need for a $14,000 lens after all...as long as he can sell it all away and buy the rival brand.

You can see where this story is now headed. Now look around you, and identify that fellow in your group who has already embarked on this path. And don't lie :nono:...there is always at least one person you know who is like P. So, who's ringing up the cost here? P or the camera company? Is it his own impatience or did the company put a gun to his head?

Here's my advice, which I have given out countless times, to people who want to start photography...as a HOBBY / PASTIME. (Professionals need not apply):

1. Get a DSLR kit YOU feel comfortable..not what the neighbour's dog deems good. Its YOUR money, YOUR hands and YOUR decision. You can ask for experiences and details from fellow photogs...but nothing beats going down to the shop and holding it in your hand. You don't ask your friend to help you pick a wife, do you?

2. Stick with the kit lens. I repeat, stick with the kit lens. Do not be tempted to spend additional money buying another lens...that will come later. Use the kit lens first.

3. Join as many photog outings as possible. It doesn't matter what sort. It could be models, night shoots, walkabouts, nature, architectural, studio...whatever it is, just join them. The reason is simple: YOU have to know the LIMITS of your own DSLR. YOU have to know your OWN limits. Keeping the camera in a glass cupboard does not work.

4. USE the camera, USE the camera, USE the camera. Do not be anal retentive and lose your sleep over a scratch on the camera body. You spent good money on it, so the least you can do is use it. If your intention in maintaining its perfect condition is to sell it away...go open a camera shop.

5. After at least A YEAR of shooting, sit down and decide what sort of themes or subjects are your favourite. Do not be a hero and try to shoot every single subject in the world...it is not possible. If you like cars and aircraft, you are probably into high-speed themes. If you like cosplays or models, you are geared more towards human portraits themes.

This is very important. The themes must be something you like...not what your friend or mother's uncles's son's girlfriend's pet monkey likes. Its all about YOU. Therefore do not force yourself into themes for stupid reasons..like "because I can take downblouse shots" or "I get free passes into concerts". Nothing's worse than shooting themes where your passion is like a dead fish.

6. Once you have decided on your fave themes, then spend money to buy camera gear specifically tailored for those themes. If you like nature shoots, then you might save your bucks for a F4 400mm or even a macro. Do not be distracted into spending money on other non-essential gear. You are a photographer first..not a camera whore.

and my last advice:

7. If you find yourself in a photog group consisting of camera/brand whores and pixel counters...GET THE HELL OUT!! Those people would not do you any favours, except putting "subtle" pressure and mindsets into you. You will end up always feeling just that little bit inferior because someone keeps on proudly proclaiming about the 400mm F2 lens.

REMEMBER, you shoot for yourself and nobody else. Nobody's going to give you a gold medal if you own every single mother lens in the catalogue. Nobody cares and I certainly don't give a rat's ass. You are shooting for your own enjoyment..the key word is ENJOYMENT. There is no reason to sell your whole family just to buy camera gear.

A very sound advise. :thumbsup:

Newbies or wannabes should read your post b4 making up their minds to buy buy buy.

.....They are alway buying the latest gear and also dumping them at a fraction of the price.

Cheers,

..which is good for us :thumbsup: and we should therefore encourage them to buy some more :bsmilie:

On analog era, photography is very expensive....to see what you've taken...you need a lot of money...after digital era, everythings changed....even newbie and know nothing about photograph...they have chance to show their sense in photography....

Honestly, analog is better in result than digital.....once more...we talked about money...:)

Photography in the context of SLR (in flim days) and DSLR now is not cheap.
Few hundred in my school days was not a small sum. Now it costs $600-800 min?
MHO, cheap can be a relative word.

Of course one can justify and argue that a pinhole cam is very cheap for photography, but come'on lets not kid ourselves when we are on a forum that espouses the merits of Av, Tv, M modes to gain more creative options.

(hmm.. come to think of it, I recently bought a Canon A590IS from the US. For S$180 I got a camera that does have Av, Tv, M modes........ :think: :D )
we might be getting close; relatively speaking.... :)

Have to agree with ClipperSG's comment... that why I started with a non-dslr (FZ50) instead of using a dslr... Full dslr-like handling with a single lens solution that is suitable for more 80% of the events that I have shot... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.