Hiking in Nepal

CoolJohn

Oct 30, 2015
Clementi
Hi, I will be hiking in Nepal this December.(Mount Everest Base Camp Trek), Anyone been there and done that, and if so do you have any tips or advice to share? Also, any advice on protecting camera from elements, cause from what i know, will encounter minus 20 degrees conditions
Thanks

It will be really cold so good gear is vital.
Gloves that give you control over your camera will help.
And you should have been training big time !
Do acclimatize in Kathmandu first for a few days.

Thanks very much for your advice:)

NO acclimatising in KTM at that altitude, in fact I'd get the hell out of KTM as soon as possible so you dont fall sick - more bugs and illness in KTM IMO.

Training yes, daily hikes (or 5 days a week) with a 8-10kg pack is what I'd suggest - and walking up and down your HDB/Condo steps often will help. As would some cardio on a bike or swimming. 1 week prior limit your activities so you don't injure yourself prior to Departure. ( its NOV already so unless your fit now your going to suffer a bit. :) ) A saying of mine is be 20% fitter than you think you need to be.

Take 2x 1L Nalgene water bottles and drink constantly during your trip - hydration is the key to reducing altitude effects.

late dec is cold but clear skies. early dec is still ok... well for me. whenever your above 4000m ensure you have your down jacket with you at all times.

What camera gear are you planning to take?

Ive been to Nepal many times on very long treks/climbing trips exceeding 30 days and upto 50 days, and climbed to 7000m on a number of occasions.

Last edited:
If you need a Nepal agent let me know. I have been there a few times and hike with the locals and walk through their indigenous trails.
No hard core hikes fir months. Just trips for a week or so. Hire good Sherpas to help you.
Thanks very much for your advice:)

No thanks, we already have an agent.

(reply to petetherock)

Last edited:
I am a canoeist and train 4 times a week, will i be fit enough for the hike?
I also plan to take a canon 750d with a flash and some filters

Btw, what month did you go, and how cold was it?

(reply to dfive)

I am a canoeist and train 4 times a week, will i be fit enough for the hike?
I also plan to take a canon 750d with a flash and some filters

Btw, what month did you go, and how cold was it?

(reply to dfive)

Only you know how fit you are... Its Like me saying i have a AMG MERC will it beat a Porsche. :) ( I have no Idea what engine / mods the Porsche has... )

A lot of it is in the mind and how hard your willing to push through barriers... and know your limits... Ive seen normal people do OK and Marathon Runners fall apart at 5500m. (I'm serious)

Ive Spent APR, MAY, SEPT, OCT-late NOV in Nepal in various trips.

What company are you going with? and how many days is your trip? - this can make the diff for a fun trip where you acclimatise well and an average trip thats a few days shorter and you'll suffer effects of altitude sickness.

Temperatures - Well everything from fine to extreme... I was well equipped so was fine. (good gear makes your trip comfortable and one less thing to worry about.

Everest Base Camp is not a difficult trip, pace yourself, drink lots of water and stay warm when your cold and anyone can do it. (its not a climb its just a trek.)

Last edited:
If you canoe, you certainly will have upper body strength. I used to do it 20 years ago..

But what you will need is leg power, and lots of stamina. For hours. Not that much strength, but if you intend to go for long duration, it will be the endurance you need. Lots of climbing practise.
I slept outdoors in November and it was pretty cold in a tent, even at 3000m.
But a lady who went, had 10kg of Canon gear, and she was fine. Another was huffing and puffing. So the fitter you are, the more fun is the trip.
IMO, my first trip up was more 'xiong' than any of my Guards reservist exercises..

Thanks you very much to both of you, for your informative advice. It has certainly helped me alot :)

Hi, I will be hiking in Nepal this December.(Mount Everest Base Camp Trek), Anyone been there and done that, and if so do you have any tips or advice to share? Also, any advice on protecting camera from elements, cause from what i know, will encounter minus 20 degrees conditions
Thanks

Actually, -20 deg C sounds like an end-of-year trek weather condition.

The batteries should be kept with you WITHIN the sleeping bag when you sleep. Also have Nalgene bottles which are filled with hot water before you sleep so that you can keep the batteries and yourself warm. Would recommend that the camera gets kept within your luggage at night instead of in the room if possible.

You might want to get a camera bag. And for taking pictures, perhaps have a mitt and an inner glove layer. Helps when you want to take pictures and adjust settings respectively.

Good equipment will last long and keep you in good shape for the trek.