High vs low 'Quality'

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

KCSg

Hi all,

I'm a new 5050 user and found one tricky 'issue'. When I take my shots using HQ, the pic is very detailed and impressive. but when I view them at a lower resolution, diag lines becomes jaggered - doesn't do justice to such a good cam. Sometimes 'white dots' also appear on the pic at lower resolution. This doesn't happen if I take the pic with a lower quality. Anyway to keep the high quality as well as to solve this 'problem' other than taking in raw format?

Thanks a lot!

KCSg said:
Hi all,

I'm a new 5050 user and found one tricky 'issue'. When I take my shots using HQ, the pic is very detailed and impressive. but when I view them at a lower resolution, diag lines becomes jaggered - doesn't do justice to such a good cam. Sometimes 'white dots' also appear on the pic at lower resolution. This doesn't happen if I take the pic with a lower quality. Anyway to keep the high quality as well as to solve this 'problem' other than taking in raw format?

Thanks a lot!

I don't entirely understand your issue but it sounds like an oversharpening problem: Try shooting at the same picture quality setting with SHARPNESS set to minimum.

Yes, shooting in Raw would be most impressive. Use Adobe's Camera Raw for the best results.

Thanks for your replies, I guess I didn't make myself clear.

When we shoot @ 5mp, we get a very huge jpg file. If we want to display it on the web (or even use as a wall paper), we need to strink the resolution of the jpg. On strinking the pic, slanted lines becomes gaggled, right? Sometimes dittering also occurs like what KamWeng said, making the photo looks bad. But if I don't strink the pic, it's just too big. If I shoot at lower resolution, the size may be just nice for a wallpaper, but the details are lost should I want to blow up the pic.

Wanted to know if anyone have a way to overcome this dilema. I'm tempted to shoot in raw format but it's too slow.

Hope I explained it better this time. Thanks in advance for any suggestions

I think shooting in raw format doesn't solve your problem. Either you choose the resolution best suits the expected usage of your photos before you take the shots, or you can crop a portion out for smaller resolution.

Why choose a 5MP camera? We don't need to follow so close. It's not suitable for on screen slide show - slow and jagged. It's also not practical for web use. It's good for printing (getting higher ppi) and cropping (compensating the insufficient zoom).

For a common screen resolution of 1024x768, I find that a 3MP (2048x1536) is most suitable for display, reasonable file size, and good quality when printed 4R.

i use to face the same problem with camedia master version 2.5......

it is basically your computer viewer issue.... nothing to do with your camera......

try using acdc or other photo browser...... after a while i also give up using the bundled software......

Status
Not open for further replies.