Not open for further replies.

mediacraze

Sep 15, 2009
Hi to all. Just join as I am looking for my first DSLR

Am considering following options and hope Sifu here can advise
Canon EOS 500D
Nikon D5000
Sony A380

All three within my budget. But am thinking which one should get if considering about the cost of accessories to start on my new fond hobby

Main point for me to get DSLR is to take those moment of my little girl as she grow up (now 14 mths old). My digital cam cannot cope with her fast actions
So well taking pictures of her, I like landscape as well as close up shoots.

Hope any mentors here can give me guide on the purchase

Hello...welcome.

Great that you have shortlisted the cameras that you're interested in. They are all very good and capable cameras. I would suggest that you go to a shop to try the models out and see which is more comfortable to you. Do play around with the settings and see which is more user friendly to you. Last but not least, do not be influenced by the sales people as very often they will just recommend something which gives them a bigger commision. Listen to your heart. Hope you can get your cam soon. :)

A definite advantage of the D5000 and the A380 is the swiveling screen. This allows you to get a clear idea of what the picture will look like when you take it in LiveView, without covering your face with it (scaring your kid) or looking a the screen at an odd angle (500D).

Then between the 2, the A380 is the one with full-speed autofocus in live view mode. So for taking pictures of your young kid (including ground-level shots) I think the A380 is your best bet.

get the a330 instead of a380, the difference is just a higher megapixel. Save money :)

Nikon's swiveling LCD is better than Sony's tiliting LCD.

But Sony has build in Image Stabiliser (which can compensate up to 2.5-3.5 f stops) which Nikon and Canon dont have. Very useful when u are taking photos in low light situations or using high zoom lenses.

So u decide which is more important to you :)

Last edited:
Thanks for all the Mentor advice. Will go on to try the 3 options I selected.

But out of the 3, only Nikon and Canon have movie function rite?

Correct. But be aware that Autofocus in DSLR movie mode is extremely slow to "just doesn't work". So it will be hard to keep track of a moving kid, a simple compact cam will do better.

Last edited:

If video is a must for you, then I would suggest that you get a compact PnS cam or a proper video cam instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.