hi~ and needing help to look for that cute lil film camera!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Depending on what type of photo work you want to do. So, 1 camera is never enough (the devil is talking)... heheh.

A winder help u to wind automatically. Many manual camera have this add on option. A Motor drive can do many frames per second. Some can do 9fps meaning u just need 4 sec. to finish a roll of 36 exposure haha.

Otherwise, wind manually probably just need 1 sec. so yr thumb can do 1fps haha. More links for you.

Manual Camera
More manual camera
Why bigger cams aren't always better
User manual of MX if u interested to read on operation

Hi Yin

i go out to paint often.
so my advice to u is to juz get a point and shoot.
dun have to go for SLR as they weight a ton,esp those manual cam w metal bodies as on those long painting/sketching trip though they would look pretty good.
but P n S if handled well will be good as well. so i think u guys shd juz recommend a good p n s with a good lens.

nikon 35ti, rollei 35s, minox,..... sui sui pun pi pi...

Yin said:
caras>that's really helpful! thank you~ a camera without battery sounds like gift from god for the ailing environment(i think) i'm trying to dig out information regarding this camera at the moment.

i wouldn't mind second hand as long as it's in good condition and performs well. brand does not matter as well. if a S$20 performs as well as S$200, i guess you'll know which one i'll be lusting at :)

as far as e-research goes, i'm laying my eyes on minolta x-700 and rollei prego 90 for the moment. but i'm not through with the research yet, so there might be more... (the pentax MX is lookin good... altho i'm struggling to find more information on it)

i heard canon and nikon tend to be on the pricey side though? is that true?

another concern... regarding those cameras that you need to roll manually(to take another photograph) although quality of photograph might be orgasmic, what if i need to take successive photos quickly? wouldn't that be a problem? :( unless i have magical rotating fingers or something...

Hrmm.. Too bad my Prego 90 is somewhere in Vietnam now.. Otherwise, I can lend it to ya to play with.. LOL.. Probably a decade old by now..

Manual cameras require you to advance the film after each shot.. If you take care of the camera, it should last you until colour film dies out.. Some things to take note of:

Don't leave the shutter wound for long periods of time. Wind it only before you want to take a shot. Otherwise, the spring inside will lose tension.

When not shooting for a long time, you would want to take the camera out once a month or so to wind and fire the shutter to keep it well lubricated.

There's something known as a motordrive for many mechanical cameras. This attaches to the bottom of the camera and advances the film for you. For powerdrives, you can easily shoot at least 5 frames per second.
Powerdrives/ motordrives would take up quite some space though..

There are also certain camera models where you half-wind the level twice to **** the shutter... They were meant more for press photographers (or papparazi for that matter).. A double-half-stroke is faster than a single full stroke.

tiong78 said:
Hi Yin

i go out to paint often.
so my advice to u is to juz get a point and shoot.
dun have to go for SLR as they weight a ton,esp those manual cam w metal bodies as on those long painting/sketching trip though they would look pretty good.
but P n S if handled well will be good as well. so i think u guys shd juz recommend a good p n s with a good lens.

I already recommended the Prego 90 for P&S.

For a manual SLR that doesn't weigh a ton, look no further than the Corsina plastic bodies like the Nikon FM-10. Super light body because it's all plastic. The matching Corsina made lenses (marked Nikon instead of Nikkor) are also plasticky and would be similarly light weight..

Artistic Photography? can try Lomo?

Yin said:
ricohflex>how do i exactly try out film cameras though? i'm rather clueless... but yes it'd be nice if you don't mind me fiddling with your cameras!

Maybe I will pass one or two with Prime Camera shop (next to Cathay Photo)
in Peninsula. I send my nice collection rangefinders there for servicing. And woo hoo some of them come back very nice condition. You or your boy friend can go there and pick it up. Speak to Leslie or the owner, Andrew. Use the cams, see the pics, then return them to Prime. If you like those cams, then go with your boyfriend to shop for something like that in the photo shops or buy something similar.
CS members will advise you which "touristy" shops to avoid.
I think at this stage point and shoot is easy and convenient. I'll pick some fuss free stuff for you and your boy friend to try out. let me know if you are keen.
(This is not a sale gimmick. I am not selling them. just keep too many cams might as well let others use them)

ricohflex said:
newspaper says recent NUS Everest team got only 1 camera working at the top of Everest. It was the T3. The other cameras died.
but a bit costly. super lens though.

IIRC, it did die after 2 shots or something.. But then again, most batteries don't react well to freezing temperatures..

Some guy took a Praktica MTL50 to Antartica.. But had to run wires to the camera and put the battery inside his coat...

http://www.ilikecider.com/antarctica/photography.htm

wow plenty to read through! went to cook some fillet mignon ^ 3^~
while i'm very keen in film photography, i don't know if detrop is...

whoelse>will be reading that after i reply! i smell of bloody meat... many thanks for the links~

tiong78>this is out of topic but wow... i can barely sketch in public, they made me an exhibit! i get random people pointin out to their boyboy or gerger about some "auntie" that's drawing over there <_< a...auntie... anyway yes, you reminded me of a very important factor... weight! i haven't tried holding those cameras with metal bodies before, so i wouldn't be able to gauge...

ninjaaa>sui sui pun pi pi=?

firefox>oh my... what have i done to my brother's camera... :embrass: i used to wind it for fun all the time...thanks for the care tip! about the nikon part, actually detrop suggested that i grab a nikon, because he has various lenses for nikon camera that i can just kidnap from him anytime. i will look it up on the net.

leeter>it's not really for artistic photography though...(i think?) i like to document things :) i tried playing around with detrop's fisheye lomo though, it was fun! he has another lomo that i've yet to abuse.

kex>the review is quite lengthy, it'll take me some time to read ^^

ricohflex>that would be a very good idea! but the only time he and i will be in singapore at the same time would be in early august, because i'm going back to indonesia next week, or so... i'll be looking forward to that! hope it won't be too much of a trouble for you.

umm... rhode island is pretty chilly... but i guess i wouldn't be climbing everest for some time now? :)

*reads the mountains of information*

Full metal, quite small lah. Even smaller then my rangefinder.
-
gx_mx.jpg

-
dcp00750a.jpg

-
i_50_2.jpg

whoelse>thanks for the size comparison! and yes it's not as big as i thought :eek: and i'm still reading, wow -_-;;; addictive and plentiful reads

tim>i'm not quite sure about rangefinders' use... *nublet alert* i'll look it up tho :) nikon FG is lookin pretty cute! i'm readin the reviews on it

i might have to aim for nikons or stuffs that can go with nikon lenses... for the reason mentioned above. however, if my final choice is not a nikon, i guess he wouldn't mind... i'm keeping my options open!

so much adventure in the net for such a cute lil camera for the nublet~:embrass:

hello .... meow here
you can check out this camera, ... you can still find some shop selling at $198 or less ( of course first hand ) .... :)
Is small and have wide aperture of F2.8 ... :thumbsup:
Cheap and good .... my dream camera lor ... haha :heart:

Yin said:
firefox>oh my... what have i done to my brother's camera... :embrass: i used to wind it for fun all the time...thanks for the care tip! about the nikon part, actually detrop suggested that i grab a nikon, because he has various lenses for nikon camera that i can just kidnap from him anytime. i will look it up on the net.

Well.. Then you might want to give the Nikon FM-10 a go.. I do have a friend who's helping his friend sell one. It's not a fantastically built body but it's cheap and light.. Very popular amongst students back then.. Cheap and good enough for their photography/ media design/ film, sound, video courses..

xxxger>i was attracted to the waterproof thing earlier... was wondering about your first post... cause yea, you forgot to mention the camera's model and all... hahahaa but i'm more interested in manual cameras :embrass:

firefox>will the nikon fm-10 perfom just as well as the rollei prego 90 for example? i'm contemplating on which way i should search. i have up to august to search, consider, decide, and finally purchase the camera... but i won't be in singapore for the whole of july :(

i'll just draw up a table to see clearer picture ^^;

Yin said:
firefox>will the nikon fm-10 perfom just as well as the rollei prego 90 for example? i'm contemplating on which way i should search. i have up to august to search, consider, decide, and finally purchase the camera... but i won't be in singapore for the whole of july :(

They're in different classes..

The Rollei Prego 90 (note: there are 2 versions, get the one with 28-90mm Schneider Kreuznach lens) is a point & shoot camera.
It does have decent programmed modes like auto-zoom portraiture, bulb mode and a focus to infinity button.

The Nikon FM-10 is just a body. It will allow you to do just about anything you want since you have full controls over the exposure settings. However, the quality is dependent on the lense(s) used. So pair it up with a nice lense and your limited only by your creativity..

firefox>thank you! that clears up a lot of things! if i purchase the body, does it mean i need to purchase the lenses? or do they normally come with a lens? i've read the in-depth review of the FM-10 and i must say i'm quite attracted to it. how about the later models of the same line with FM-10? or is this one the cream of the crop amongst its siblings?

point and shoot? i'm getting them confused with SLRs... which is what? does pns means it's mostly auto?

Status
Not open for further replies.